Sign in to follow this  
shyguy420

CTF Official Drugs, Smoking & Alcohol Debate

Guest AdvancedUpholstery

Marijuana should be legalized. Simply because of it's economical benefits as a useful substance. Multiple textiles and resources can be procured from marijuana, and it would greatly help us reduce greenhouse gas in the atmosphere due to emissions from factories that produce textiles. On the other hand an awful lot of people seem to believe that marijuana is addictive, kills brain cells, or causes diseases. This is just what the authorities want you to believe. If killing brain cells and being a physical ailment were the reason it were illegal, we wouldn't have alcohol, or tobacco products so readily available to us. The reason marijuana is illegal is because when this country was undergoing the industrial ages of the mid 1800s to late 1800s, there were a lot of immigrants from Mexico arriving to America to take up jobs from the booming industry so they could have lives. Of course we didn't like that and needed a reason to not to give them jobs so we used the marijuana use of the Mexican immigrants as a reason to oust from the workplace. Later in 1930s movies like "Reefer Madness" were propaganda made to try to get people not to use marijuana. The government made it illegal in 1937 because they couldn't tax it. Furthermore in light of these facts I think people highly overreact to marijauna's use in our culture saying it leads to other things, or that it becomes a gateway drug. Anything can become a gateway drug. Cigarettes or Alcohol can do the same thing. So can prescription drugs. All it takes is a high minded, irresponsible individual that isn't well informed about substance abuse. I do not think that the legalization of marijuana would cause a rise in our current hard drug abuse we see today. In fact, when Amsterdam decriminalized it, opium, cocaine, and heroin use all dropped significantly. Marijuana isn't healthy, but by solely using it you won't die, or get cancer, just from use.

No there is a reason that its not legal. Seriously, I would hate to live somewhere with even more potheads than there already are...

No there is a reason that its not legal. Seriously, I would hate to live somewhere with even more potheads than there already are...

I think the legalization debate is really focused on all the valuable things you can do with the hemp plant, not so much recreational consumption of cannabis.

The problem with this is that there is reason to believe that legalisation won't lead to major growth in recreational use, rather, it will encourage and force responsible use in a safe environment. Further, your unstated premise, that "potheads" are detrimental to society or your well being seems unsupported.

neither should be legal! drugs ruin lives. Not just the users but what about the children involved? do you think they are getting a fair life being beatin cause there parent is to drunk to know what they are doing?? no it should NOT be legal

neither should be legal! drugs ruin lives. Not just the users but what about the children involved? do you think they are getting a fair life being beatin cause there parent is to drunk to know what they are doing?? no it should NOT be legal

Well, prohibition sure worked well before! What could go wrong by doing it again?

And what about Marijuana? Since your argument is purely based on violence, surely you think weed should be legal!

You should never totally ban something because a few people have a self control problem with it. Otherwise, most things would be banned. For example: Video games, driving, using electronics, ect.

So really, your argument doesn't have anything to really stand on.

you can't look at the lives will be ruined topic without looking at if the "life" was already on a track of self destruction. The weed is a drug argument is only there because it is illegal, take alcohol as an example, it ruins thousands of peoples lives and it isn't looked at half as bad as a gram of weed. Weed as a gateway drug, again is only there because it is defined as a drug and people think that if it didn't hurt them then hey, what other drugs will be OK to use. its the information kids are given at a young age that makes them view all drugs as harmless as weed, In D.A.R.E. you learn all of the supposed "bad" effects of weed, many of which are based off of assumptions.

TLDR; weed is bad because we are taught that at a young age.

Christianity is also illegal in 51 countries. Seriously, I would hate to live somewhere with even more Christians than there already are...

Sarcasm aside, I'm all for the legalization of weed. It would be profitable, it has many more pros than cons in my opinion, and no one ever solely died from marijuana use. It's a whole lot "healthier" than alcohol for those who want to go that route of getting high or messed up.

I beat heroin with knowledge and willpower. Drugs don't ruin lives. People with weak self-control and flawed logic ruin lives.

Drugs ruin lives. They shouldn't be legal but the people that take them are not stupid just maybe upset by something that has hurt them in the past.

Drugs ruin lives. They shouldn't be legal but the people that take them are not stupid just maybe upset by something that has hurt them in the past.

Going to jail ruins peoples lives more than the drugs do.

no no no no no nose nooo .... it does things to your brain ,doesn't help you wetness, and interferes with your relationship with god ..

Going to jail ruins peoples lives more than the drugs do.

I disagree. I would rather spend the rest of my life in prison than be addicted to drugs and be messed up mentally and physically.

I think that all the people getting stirred up over the logic of a 12 year old are making me laugh. She has a lot to learn! Teach her, don't shoot her out of the sky.

All right, this is why I think drugs should be illegal. A lot of you are talking about the choice as an individual, but how did the drugs get to the person in the first place? I live in Monterrey, a stepping stone for the drug cartels into the U.S. (being only two hours from the border town of Laredo), where currently the death toll is over 50,000 people in two years. I have friends who have died just to give your friends a bit more to snuff or smoke. It's all about the money, it's all about selfishness. Drugs are about you feeling better than you feel when you use them. What are they not about? God. Since when did God care about drugs in the Bible? Since when did God command someone to feel better through drugs? Because of this selfish act thousands upon thousands are dieing here in Mexico just because there's another customer waiting across the border.

I think that all the people getting stirred up over the logic of a 12 year old are making me laugh. She has a lot to learn! Teach her, don't shoot her out of the sky.

All right, this is why I think drugs should be illegal. A lot of you are talking about the choice as an individual, but how did the drugs get to the person in the first place? I live in Monterrey, a stepping stone for the drug cartels into the U.S. (being only two hours from the border town of Laredo), where currently the death toll is over 50,000 people in two years. I have friends who have died just to give your friends a bit more to snuff or smoke. It's all about the money, it's all about selfishness. Drugs are about you feeling better than you feel when you use them. What are they not about? God. Since when did God care about drugs in the Bible? Since when did God command someone to feel better through drugs? Because of this selfish act thousands upon thousands are dieing here in Mexico just because there's another customer waiting across the border.

Legalization would completely solve those problems.

no no no no no nose nooo .... it does things to your brain ,doesn't help you wetness, and interferes with your relationship with god ..

How does that have anything to do with its legality?

Legalization would completely solve those problems.

Drugs are legal in Mexico :| so you're solution is legalize drugs and support the violence that will surely continue? I'm talking about the drug cartels fighting over product, turf, etc. Here in Mexico thousands of 14 and 15 year old kids are working for the drug cartels, their life expectancy is 6 months after they start working, so my question is how is legalizing drugs the solution?

What the Mexican drug cartels are doing is not legal in Mexico. Mexico has only decriminalized small amounts for personal use. They are producing massive quantities for cross border trafficking. The US would need to legalize in order to end them. If their market goes away, so will they.

I disagree. I would rather spend the rest of my life in prison than be addicted to drugs and be messed up mentally and physically.

In other words, you'd rather have someone take care of you than take care of yourself. Let people take responsibility for their own actions.

Also, going to jail messes people up mentally and physically. In local jails, suicide accounts for 32.3% of inmate deaths, and illness accounts for 47.6% of inmate deaths. In State prisons, suicide accounts for 5.8% of inmate deaths, and illness accounts for 80.4% of inmate deaths. http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/pub/pdf/shsplj.pdf