Sign in to follow this  
proud_orthodox_guy

Movie Reviews

Movie: The Matrix

Christian Rating: 3

Overall Rating: B+

Comments: The good thing about "The Matrix" is the non gory violence. It's about as bloody as Spiderman. The bad thing about this movie is language. They say BS or sh*t every other word which probably earned it an R rating. It could've gotten a PG-13 if it didn't say that every other word. Suprisingly I didn't catch the "F word".But the special effects are AWSOME! The story and plotline was okay. It was kinda silly and wierd. Overall I give this movie a B+. So if you like silly non gory action flicks than this is for you. If you are easily offended by language then it's not for you.

Movie: The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Rings; LotR: The Two Towers; LotR: The Return of the King

Christian rating: Depends (5, 5, 5 imho)

Overall rating: Depends (A+, A+, A+ imho)

Recommended age range: It more depends on maturity, than age.

Comments: An absolutly beautiful set of movies! Scenery, great; acting, great; plot, great; dialogue, great, and they're very true to the book. No swearing, and makes for great discussions afterwards. These movies will make you cry, laugh, and ponder.

Other info: There have been tons of debates about whether or not Christians should watch this, as it has magic in it. It is my personaly opinion that the magic in these movies is not the same type of magic in Harry Potter (of which I do not approve). The magic in LotR is an elite gift, which can be used for good or evil. I recommend LotR to anyone who loves the books, or loves Christian fantasy and has no problem with this kind of magic.

(By the way, I am not trying to spark a debate about LotR; this is just my movie review of it; my personal opinion)

Movie: Porco Rosso

Christian rating: 4

Overall rating: A+

Comments: Very good movie! One of Hayao Miyazaki's (Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away) best!! It's about a guy who was turned into a pig for being greedy and he's a WW1 flying ace. Great animation, beutiful backgrounds and of course awsome flying sequences! Miyazaki seems to love flying sequences and has one in almost all his films. Also it's very humorous. There is one or two d*mns in it and mild violence but nothing else.

Other: Rated PG for mild language and violence

Movie name: The Ladykillers.

Christian Rating: 3.

Overall Rating: B-.

Recommended Age Range: 12+.

Comments: I thought this movie was really funny but the story line wasn't the best I have ever seen. There were times of vast amounts of swearing but it did say the right thing to do in the movie was to go to church so that is not too offensive.

Other Information: None.

Les Miserables

Christian Rating: 3 (warning; explain more later)

Overall Rating: B-

Recommended Age: 13+, but my mom lets my eight-year-old brother see it

WARNING: I gave this movie a three, BUT there is a brief shot of a, how shall we say, underdressed female with, uh, questionable intentions.........it is brief, and once you know where it is you can skip it...

Comments/Other info: It's a great story, and the acting is pretty good. The language isn't R-rated stuff, and one of the main questionable words is used in its 'proper' situation, but you should be warned....

If you like the book, you should probably stay away. This is probably the best bad adaption I've ever seen. It remains true to the core of the story, but the core only.

I like it, in part because I didn't like the book. It's a story of redemption, and even includes positive mentions of God. I recommend it fairly highly.

Movie: Robots

Overall Rating: B+

Comments: Pretty cool movie. Very nicely done. Nothing that would offend people except a few fart jokes and some brief sexual humor, personally it did not offend me. No bad language that I caught.

The animation was extremely well done!

So in short: not the best movie story wise but awsome animation and very entertaining at parts.

Other:

Movie: Tombstone

Overall: +A+A+A+A+A

Comments: Awsome movie!!! I saw it on television so I don't know exactly how clean it's not, but you still might want to be careful. It's not exactly a new movie either, more or less mid '90s. I loved it though. At first I was like, "It's a western/cowboy movie, it's probably going to be just like a modern John Wayne or something." Then I watched it, and my dream came true! My character, Doc Holiday, was played by Val Kilmer!!!! He was just a little too convincing. I forgot that it was Val Kilmer. But, anyways, the acting was very enjoyable. I don't know all of the details, some would say it's a dumb movie 'cause I didn't see a single part where they ran out of ammunition. But I enjoyed the movie.

Other: It's a story about Wyatt Earp (Kurt Russel) and how he killed off the rest of the cowboys. Yes, cowboys were not the good guys. I don't know for sure but I think it would be a lot more historically correct than quite a few John Waynne movies.

Movie: The Forgotten

Christian Rating: 3 1/2 or 4

Overall Rating: B+ or A

Comments: This was a pretty good movie overall. It was very weird and somewhat confusing. Suspenseful too. I don't remember much swearing...there was a little bit of violence since it was a thriller. The ending was excellent. It really made up for anything wrong with the movie. I thought it was gonna be really scary and I hate scary movies but it wasn't too bad. Mainly suspenseful. Nothing gory or anything gross.

Originally posted by proud_orthodox_guy@Dec 3 2004, 11:06 PM

Movie: Finding Neverland

Awsome! Johnny Depp does a great job in this movie!

Other info: It says Rated PG for: Mild Thematic Elements and brief language. I never caught any of the language.

Hey, in regard to Finding Neverland with Johnny Depp, I saw it at the movies and I loved it!!! The acting and story line was great, only dissapointing thing I found was the wife not coming back or sumpin, it kinda didn't finish excactly ...just my opinion though!! :P

Movie: Steamboy

Christian Rating: 5

Overall Rating: A

MPAA Rating: PG-13

Comments: Great anime movie by the makers of "Akira"! SO MUCH DETAIL! It's kinda hard to explain the plot. You'd have to see it. No bad language, no sex, non gory violence. Hardly any blood at all. You see a bit of blood on someone's head for like 2 seconds and that's all. It could've been rated PG but I think they rated it PG-13 to keep the little kids out. Some parents have such bad judgement.

Read about my expirience with this movie and kids here:

http://www.christianteenforums.com/index.p...=ST&f=18&t=4694

I gave this movie an A and not A+ because it does go a bit long at the end. But overall a great movie that I really enjoyed :D

Other: None

Originally posted by jkoziel@Nov 9 2004, 07:23 PM

Movie: PLATOON

Overall rating: A+

Comments:Very brutal look at the vietnam war with alot of violence language and a small sex scene. Very very sad film I gave it a three because their alot of Christian kids who want to get out of there(VIETNM WAR).

Other: Pretty sad film very realistic and i give it points because the pentagon hated this film.

I love that film so much wonder why he got banned.

Originally posted by jkoziel@Jan 6 2005, 05:19 PM

Movie: Apocalypse now

Christian Rating: 1

Overall Rating: A+

Comments: Phenomanal film with excellent acting good choices by the director however very brutal and at times disturbing the original Apocalypse now is the best version the new edition sucks see the original.

Other:Not recommended for sensitive Christians

Loved it too my second favorite film

Movie: The Notebook

Age Group: 13+

This movie was amazing! I loved it. I gave it a 3 because of mild language andsexual moments. But overall it was the best movie ever!!!

Love ya,

Liz

Movie:

Star Wars Episode 1

Christian Rating: 4

Overall Rating: C-

Age Group: 8+

Comments: This movie is probably the worst of the six. Not great but yet not horrible. Ending lightsaber battle was cool. Acting was so so. In my opinion Jar Jar Binks ruins it :yucky: Gave it a Christian rating of 4 for typical Star Wars violence and the whole "Force" idea. No language or sex.

Other: none

----------

Movie: Star Wars Episode 2

Overall Rating: C+

Age Group: 8+

Comments: An improvement definatly. Good CGI effects. Light saber battles and clone battles were cool. Fills in a few gaps. Acting is okay. Jar Jar luckely only appears for like 5 mins at most. Gave it a Christian rating of 4 for typical Star Wars violence and the whole "Force" idea and one moment of mild language. No nudity, some kissing.

-----------------

Movie: Star Wars Episode 3

Overall Rating: B-

Age Group: 13+

Comments: Pretty good. Nice effects and cool action sequences. Jar Jar appears for about 5 seconds.

Gave it a 4 for violence and the "force" idea. No language or nudity, some kissing.

CAUTION: This movie is PG-13 for a GOOD REASON. It is darker than the last two films and has more intense bloodless violence. Several arms, legs, and heads go flying (NO blood :fishbeat:) Leave the little ones at home for this one :)

Movie: Ocean's Twelve

Overall: -A

Comments: Language is the main problem. And for those of you who use a TVGuardian (otherwise known as "the de-cusser") it won't catch all of them. Good movie, great acting, excelent plot. It wasn't as good as the first one though. If you haven't seen the first one "Ocean's Eleven" then I suggest watching it before you watch this movie. It would explain more. And, you might notice that Brad Pitt eats whereever he goes. Kinda funny.

Movie: Europe, Europa

Christian Rating: 2

Overal Rating: D

Age Group: 15- whatever or VERY mature

Comments: This movie is in German so most would not understand it. But, anyways it has shows much nudity and bad prefrences. The acting in the movie is ok.

Movie: Ella Enchanted

Christian Rating: 5

Age Group: 7+

Comments: This movie was a fairy tale, and it was perfect for the whole family. I think that mostly little girls will like this movie mostly. It has a ok plot. Good characters.

Originally posted by DazzlingEyes@Jun 1 2005, 06:30 PM

Comments: The concept is just plain stupid.  I would not watch it if I were you. :sad:

213916[/snapback]

the concept is just plain stupid?! this movie is based on a true story - salomon perel really did pose as a german (aryan, if you like) orphan and he eventually joined the Hitler youth.

i think dismissing someone's life story (in such a tragic period in world history) as "plain stupid" shows rather a poor level of information about the actual film and a certain disregard for for it as well.

but hey! to each his own.

Movie: Madagascar

Comments: What's not to like? Good story line, very entertaining, nicely done animation (improved a lot since Shrek #1 and Shark Tale! I think it has to do with moving a lot of thier great traditional animation staff into this movie), that water and sky looked real!!! I actually found the jokes to be more aimed toward adults than kids...

I gave it a Christian rating of 4 for some crude humor. I caught no bad language unless you count "Hover Dam!" by one of the pengiuns and a "HELP" sign where the top part of the P falls off and spells "HELL".

Other: None

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants

Overall rating: A++

Recommended age range: 14+

Comments: This movie was great. The characters were so real that you could easily relate to them. There are some romantic themes, they do kiss "passionately" but nothing else is shown other than that. The movie is pretty good at getting inside the mind of a teenaged girl, especially during summer and it shows what friends mean to us.

Movie: Mean Girls

Christian Rating: 3 or 2

Age Group:Middle School +

Comments: This movie is really good other than the language and sex. They were also kinda rude (hence the title). and one of main characters is gay. It has a good lesson at the end too

Movie: Batman Begins

Overall Rating: B

Recommended Age Range: 13+

Comments: Nicely done movie with good special effects. Not the best superhero movie in the world but it has some cool action sequences. Spiderman was better I thought.

I gave it a Christian rating of 4 for some mild language and one use of "God d*mn!" Other than that, a pretty clean movie if you can handle the violence.

Movie: Beyond the Valley of the Dolls (1970)

Christian rating:0!

overall rating: A+

recommended agae: over 18

well this film had nudity and drug use every two seconds and iam not exagerating it seriously did but overall the film was great. It follows the story of a female rock band and there struggle to get number one. Roger epert wrote the script and the film is very philisophical and very fast but good.

Movie: Mr. and Mrs. Smith

Christian Rating: 1

Recommended Age Range: 13+

Comments: Suprisingly it was really good!!! I loved it!! It was really funny and exciting! Adam Brodey was really funny in it!! Kind of violent, but funny!