Sign in to follow this  
proud_orthodox_guy

Movie Reviews

The local newspapers (both Minneapolis and Saint Paul) gave Mr. & Ms. Smith little or no stars. What a shame....

Movie: War of the Worlds

Christian Rating: 3.5

My Rating: B+

Recommended Age Range: 14+

Comments: Pretty good but long. Some parts drag and there's a lot of eye candy, but overall an okay movie. The special effects in this movie were excellent. There were a lot of intense action scenes.

There was some language and a lot of violence (quite intense at parts). There is some stuff that may disturb more sensitive people. It is quite bloody at parts. It wasn't an unneeded gore fest but there was quite a bit. Many off screen deaths and some are on screen.

Anyway, overall an okay movie but be sure to steer clear if you can't stand the sight of blood. I recommend it for ages 14 and up.

Other: None

Movie: Fantastic Four

Christian Rating: 4

Overall Rating: B+

Recommened age range: 11+

Comments:

Pretty cool movie. It kept me entertained. No real boring parts. Twas a fun movie. There was some sexual references but nothing explicit. I didn't catch a lot of language. An "Oh God" here and there but nothing really else. Violence was tame compared to Batman or War of the Worlds. No blood really. It's a nice change from the dark movies. I recommend it for ages 11 and up.

Movie: Hitch

Christian Rating: 3

Overall: -A

Comments: Kevin James was hilarious! I loved the movie! It was a great movie, despite the references and language. It's mainly about this guy (Will Smith) who works as a "date consultant". He's the guy that all of the other guys go to in order to get a girl. He meets one of his biggest, and hopeless, project (Kevin James) yet! It's a slapstick romance..... I don't know how they did it but they certainly did do it! It's a great movie. I reccomend it if you have a TVGuardian...

Movie: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Christian Rating: 5

Overall Rating: B

Comments: It was entertaining. Not as good as the original but still entertaining. I didn't catch any mild language and it was no more violent than the original. This movie could've been rated G.

Originally posted by proud_orthodox_guy@Jul 16 2005, 02:52 PM

Christian Rating: 5

Overall Rating: B

Comments: It was entertaining. Not as good as the original but still entertaining. I didn't catch any mild language and it was no more violent than the original. This movie could've been rated G.

237202[/snapback]

i think it was better actually... it was far more creative this time

My main reasons for not liking it AS MUCH as the older movie are:

1. They killed the ending of the original story.

2. They made Wonka seem like a big jerk.

3. It's more like a re make of the old movie rather than an adaption of the original story by Ronald Dahl.

Other than that I liked it okay.

James :taz:

Originally posted by proud_orthodox_guy@Jul 17 2005, 04:16 PM

My main reasons for not liking it AS MUCH as the older movie are:

1. They killed the ending of the original story.

2. They made Wonka seem like a big jerk.

3. It's more like a re make of the old movie rather than an adaption of the original story by Ronald Dahl.

Other than that I liked it okay.

237801[/snapback]

i am not arguing, but it was actually alot lot closer this time, wonka was a jerk in the book, he was in his factory for years and years, he was lonely most of his life, would you think?

Overall Rating: A

Comments: It was GREAT! So much better than the first! More like the book also. I thought the ending was better. Its kind of twisted and has some weird situations. THats the only reason i gave it a 4.

Movie: Herbie: Fully Loaded

Christian Rating: 4.5

Overall Rating: a-

Comments: It was entertaining. She dressed kind of skanky. Thats the only questionable thing . No Cussing.

Other: Appropriate for ALL ages

Movie Name: Jack

Christian rating: 3.5 (some may rate it lower or higher)

Overall rating: A+

Recommended age range: 13+

Comments: I love this film. One of Robin William's greatest. The plot is great in my opinion. It's about a boy who was born premature, the reason he was born premature was that he grows three times the average rate so in three months he was already due. After he is born the film picks up when Jack is about 10 years old so he appears to be 30 years old. After years of being taught at home for years he finally convinces his parents to allow him to go to public school. You can only imagine what the children think of a person who appears to be 30 years old in the 5th grade. The story is very touching one. The thing that made me give it a 3.5 in Christian rating was because of Jack's friends read dirty magazines, though no nudity. No profanity as I recall.

Other info: Sad ending

ovie Name: Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story

Christian rating: 3+

Overall rating: A

Recommended age range: 13+

Comments: An entertaining film about a group of misfits that work and belong to a local gym called Average Joes. The misfits are of course a bit odd there's Justin the boy who wants people to think he's cool so he wants to be a cheer leader, Gordon an middle-aged man who's wife constantly changes the locks to keep him out of the house, Steve aka Steve the Pirate who well thinks he's a pirate, Peter the guy who is probably the most normal of the group and is owner of the gym, Patches a crazy old man who coaches the Average Joes during the Dodgeball Tournement. Average Joe's gym has been given an offer to buy the gym by the owner of a international gym giant Globo-Tech named White Goodman. They have to make $50,000 or their gym becomes Globo-Tech's parking lot. The Average Joes enter a Dodgeball tournement in Las Vegas with a grand prize of $50,000 dollars, but White Goodman puts together an elite team who also enter the competition. Christian rating I gave it 3+ plus for profanity and sexual humor.

Other info: None

Movie: Million Dollar Baby (that's not intentional)

Christian Rating: anywhere from 2 1/2 to 3 1/2

Overall: A-

Comments: Good acting.... good story... it's about boxing... I guess you could say that it was one of my kind of movies...I liked it... not much to say about it except that I thought it was a good movie. It was deserving of all of the Oscars it got...

Movie: Downfall

Christian rating: 2

Overall Rating: A+

Comments: Its a new ww2 film. except its about hitler in his last days. very intense at times with Intense violent sequences and nudity.

Other info: Very very good film

Pride and Prejudice (1995 A&E version starring Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth)

Christian rating: 5

Overall rating: A+

Mrs. Bennet's goal in life is to see her five daughters (Jane, Elizabeth, Mary, Kitty and Lydia) married richly and preferably quickly. She is therefore delighted with the arrival of the wealthy and single young man Charles Bingley and his even richer friend Mr. Darcy. But there are many obstacles to be overcome, including pride, prejudice, lies, immaturity, flirtation, intervention, match-making, scandal and a dislike of Mrs. Bennet.

Other comments: The best version ever! It's funny, romantic and true to the book. It's a little long (300 min.) but it can be divided into six or two parts. It hs great acting and is true to the time period. Yes, it is a romance, but the book was written more as a commentary on society. This movie is great: minor swearing, no violence, and the only 'sex' is a kiss and a deprecatory mention of living together.

Duece Bigalo: European Gigalo

Christian rating: -1000 (or just 1)

overaqll rating: F

first movie i go see in like 3 months, this one---with my friends--i can't believe they talked me into it...

WE AS CHRISTIANS SHOULD NOT BE EXPOSING US TO ANYTHING LIKE THIS!!!!!

cool

-Ricky

Movie: The Notebook

Christian Rating: 2-3.5

Overall rating A-

I love romances like this, I love how true love really prevailed in the end.

There were some intense scenes with sexual contant and partial nudity, not alot of cursing, but I loved the movie overall.\

If ya hate romances and chickflicks, DO NOT see this.

Movie: The Brothers Grimm

Overall Rating: A+

Recommended age: 13+

Comments: Excellent movie! Good special effects, cool story, lots of action. There are also several jump scenes. Also they added plenty of humor which I'm glad they did or else it would have been DARK.

Nothing really offensive here. Theres a fantasy portrayel of magic and some language and it is quite violent although it's not gory. Recommened to ages 13 and up.

Other: Rated PG-13

Movie: The Cave

Christian Rating: 3.5

Overall Rating: C

Comments: Just your typical politically correct monster/action movie. People get trapped in a cave (suprising isn't it lol?) they're exploring with evil monsters (*gasp!* I would've never guessed!) that chase them around the cave while they try and find they're way out.

As far as violence goes, nothing too horrible. It's PG-13-ish and it never goes over. All killings are shown off screen, in the dark or from far away. Language is nothing worse than what you'd hear in any PG-13 movie now-a-days. Sh*t, and God D*amn where pretty frequent but not as much as in "The Matrix". Recommended to age 13 and up.

Guess who.

Did someone do this already??

Christian rating: 2.5

They talked about how they were Christian, yet they drank right after that comment, and cursed, and had references to premarital sex, but as for that, there was nothing graphic. Evn the kissing scenes were somewhat mild.

Age-13+

Overall rating: B- It wasnt that bad, just not my fav. But there were some funy parts in it. Not a family movie, well unless your fam is like that. ;)

Movie: The Ring

Overall Rating: D+

Recommended age: 13 and up

Comments: This movie wasn't that scary. There were a few disturbing scenes but nothing "SO scary that made me go to bed with the light on". I don't get why people liked this movie so much. It's stupid really and FULL of cliches. Also is it me, or was the movie SET UP for a sequel? It could've been a good movie if it was written better.

Nothing really offensive here except language and some references to drugs and sex.

lol it seems sh*t was thier favorite word...

I give it a D+ for a semi-intresting plot (tape that kills). That's about it...

Other: Did you know the person who played Lilo in "Lilo and Stitch" is the creepy little girl "Samara"? She actually did a decent job :)

Movie: Cry wolf

Overall Rating: B+

Recommended age range: 14 and up

Comments: Pretty good. Intresting plot line. Had some suspensful bits. LOTS of mystery and plot twists. It was more of a mystery "who dunnit" movie that a thriller.

It had quite a bit of violence. Nothing incredibly graphic (some parts are bloody). The thing that made me give it a Christian rating of 3 was that there was quite a bit of innapropriate language and some sexual remarks.