Basketball Season

Fervor

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Houston is 7-4 and that's good enough for 3rd in the Southwest, but it's still pretty good all NBA considered. They really need to buckle down and concede that basketball is a 48 minute game, not a 36 minute one, but they're doing well. Yao has come out of his shell and T-Mac is finding his stroke, unfortunately Nate Robinson blocked Yao, that's definately a career highlight for him.

All the same, Houston is looking like they're gonna wind up 3rd in the Southwest, which I don't wanna admit, but it's a tough division, they'll be one of the NBA's elite if they stay healthy, Orlando is gonna whizz out a bit in a few, Detroit is picking it back up, Chicago needs to get their heads on straight, but the East is gonna be competative at the top with a few shifting around at the bottom, the west is tough everywhere.

10-1 Jazz, did ANYONE see that coming?

My fantasy team is laughable, I have to say other than Yao Ming, my most productive pick so far has been Ben Gordon, took a gamble and took Adam Morrison, and I have T-Mac on one of my teams praying he has a strong bounce-back year.

But yeah, the Jazz... wow man... wow...

It's dumb, football is my fave, and I know alot about it, but I'm in 8th out of 10, basketball is better, I know a good bit and I'm 5th and 6th out of 12. The funny thing comes in at hockey,(which I know completely nothing about, besides the basics, and not even all of them), in which I'm first place and have been 3 weeks since it started. Isn't that weird?

Spidey B)

• 2 weeks later...

So, T-Mac is concussed, the Jazz are still doing well at 14-4 and Orlando is really hauling in the east (Given you can put any top 8 (Would be playoff right now) team from the West in the East and take at least 5th maybe even 6th for the lower HALF of Western plaoff contenders. All in all, still an impressive feat for the young squad.

And1 I'll give you your credit, Orlando has shown a great start, it's just a question of the momentum carrying 82 games, so far it's looking good.

The only hitch is, Houston is statistically one of, if not THE best defense right now, which definately bodes well come time for the playoff run.

Updates people, I need them.

Houston 11-5, Yao a big name on MVP ballots AND Western Conference player of the month.

• 1 month later...

Yes, I will give the rockets their dos. They are awesome this year. I would say them and the Suns in the finals. Hard to say a winner tho. Im leaning towards Houstan tho. T-mac is practically invicible and some how they got him to play team ball. Yao can pretty much dominate the boards and Matumbo is a grade-A shot blocker. Alston is a good little PG and, even tho their not great, Bonzi and Sura are decent enough to make a contribution. Ill give them that much. Their good. My magic are doing a little better than you thought too. One of the top in the east. Dwight is a top rebounder and Dirko is an awesome shot blocker. Ariza was making a great contribution, until that injury. Jameer is still putting up some points. I cant wait till next year tho. Thats gonna be our year.

• 2 weeks later...

CTF Team updates:

Orlando 23-20

One of 6 teams in the East with a winning record. Howard has shown that world exposure has given him a boost in his step and his supporting cast is giving Howard more than enough confidence to distribute and work. 25 rebounds in one game. Need I say more? Nelson has emerged as a point guard and if it weren't for some skids due to injuries I could see this time even further ahead. Grant Hill's stepping up and proving age is just a number has helped tremendously as well.

Play-off bound? Yes, too strong a team in too weak a conference. Second round knock-outs? Possibly, the question is entirely debatable in that the East is the sick conference and there isn't really much standing in the way of these boys. Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago, and Washington (If Arenas doesn't cool down) are really the only challenge and I am not putting it past Orlando to hang with any of these teams. Great year, develop some more next year and make an even better push, possibly even NBA Finals bound.

Cavaliers 24-18

I really don't know what to say. Everyone was hailing them as the next Eastern dynasty but shouldn't an eastern dynasty be able to face the challenge of a run of the mill western conference team? Derailed by the Nuggets sans-Melo'. Lebron is a beast but where is the support crew that was running with him last year? I had high hopes and I have to say I'm saddened.

Play-off bound? Yes, once more, another case of enough in a conference that asks so little. Second round knock-outs, almost definitely. No team that goes into hibernation in the regular season and put a run together at the end will have an easy play-off time and other teams have been able to work them over easily.

Pistons 24-16

The trade for Chris Webber was supposed to boost Detroit, I see this is a falter point. Webber isn't a defensive player... What's Detroit's claim again? Oh yeah. Webber is a big man with great passing and fading offense. Detroit is trying to restructure some of their style with a core group of Prince, Billups, Hamilton, Sheed, and Webber now. Sheed will toss up 3's like there's no tomorrow if you let him, Prince and Hamilton are outclassed offensively at their positions, and Billups is worthwhile all around, but too much pressure on him.

Play-off bound? Yes, the east is weak. Knocked out in the second round? I'm gonna say no.

Eastern finals prediction: Cleveland/Washington or Chicago/Orlando

Houston 26-16

One of the 7 teams in the West that if they were in the eastern conference would lead it. After suffering the loss of Yao after McGrady dropped, McGrady pulled himself up and brought solidarity to the Rockets line-up. Yao's fractured tibia will put him out until about March, we'll see how T-Mac holds up. Strong support from Alston, Battier, Mutombo, and Howard has kept this unit working, Head's clutch shooting and Hayes's aggression has helped innumerably as well. Congratulations to Deke for pass Jabar on the block-list. McGrady is averaging a career high in assists at almost 9 a game and scoring. He's deferred to Yao in the beginning of the season and proved he can still score in bunches. Finally elite again in the West, dealing San Antonio another loss missing a star (First beat San Antonio without T-Mac, then without Yao) and some restitution playing below 500 teams in the next 5 games after playing all play-off contenders for a while.

Play-off bound? It'll be close, but I say yes. They're 6th in the West, getting healthier with Snyder coming back soon, Wells contributing, T-Mac monitoring his back, Yao will be due back soon, Mutombo is playing like he's in his 20's again and so is Juwan Howard. The young crew is playing beyond their years, it's going to be a great post-season run. Knocked out in the second round? If we hit Phoenix we have a chance, if we hit Dallas we have a chance, it'll be close. I'm going to say the West Finals will probably be Dallas/Phoenix (However Houston DID pummel Dallas in the season opener AND without Yao or T-Mac held leads on Phoenix for most of their game before dropping it by 10 at the end, mostly young players trying to pull the load and they STILL almost dropped em').

All Star Game:

Eastern Starters -

PG. Gilbert Arenas

SG. Dwyane Wade

SF. Lebron James

PF. Chris Bosh

C. Shaquille O'Neal

Shaq?!?! He's played 6 games, what about Dwight Howard's monster year? Everyone else is really justified as that's about all the star power the east has, but I'm biased ;).

Western Starters -

PG. Kobe Bryant

SG. Tracy McGrady

SF. Kevin Garnett

PF. Tim Duncan

C. Yao Ming

Yao will be replaced, not sure which Western product will take it, I hear Josh Howard got in, Nowitzki should be there, Nash definitely should be there for the east.

Magic is really going down hill. They have to start winning again soon. I heard that the other day Howard only had 1 point in a game. Thats terrible. I scored more than that my last game. Cough23cough. LOL.

Anyways, I agree. D.Howard should have made it into the all-star game, but I think its a thing like with Hill last year. Shaq is getting old and is going to retire soon. People like seeing old guys dominate on the court. There is a 73 year old man at our YMCA that plays basketball and he only gets picked to play because people like to see him score on the young guys. (He is a good three point shooter tho.) Same with Shaq I think. Dirk should definitly make it. But I dont know about your starting line up. Two people not in there original possition? i think maybe Kobe will stay PG, but I think that Dirk will take KG's spot and T. Duncan will sit the bench.

Houston is now 4th in the Western Conference, elite team water! YEAH BABY!!!!

Basic Rules of basketball:

You need to dribble in order to keep moving (Ball has to hit the floor and you can't carry, by that it's meant you have to pretty much always have your palm facing down while dribbling the ball.

You may move at the end of a dribble if you're on the way to the basket (no more than two steps).

No barreling the other player over.

If you are barreled over and your feet are set and the opponent is out of control, it's a charge. If you're moving it's a block.

No contact on the shots and in most cases no unnecessary contact with another player, you can't body up on the way to the basket (knock the opposing player around on the way to the basket).

I am the best scorer a team will ever see and the Rockets are going to win the NBA Playoffs.

You are allowed to bump each other on the defensive and offensive end so long as you're maneuvering for position, it's called posting up.

Those are just a few I can come up with off the top of my head, but it's late and I need to get to reading for class tomorrow.

Well, my Magic finally won. I heard they are going to change up the whole team. Only one not up for trading is Howard for odvious reasons. Why would you trade the leading rebounder in the east division? Anyways, Hedo Turkiglue played awesome yesterday. When I was watching, he hit three threes in a row. And Bogins had 15 which isnt bad.

Well, before we can tell you too much HT, we need to know what YOU already know. That will make it easier than just telling you ALL of the rules.

Man, Fervor, I wish we could play one-on-one. I think it would be a good game. Wait, what height are you?

5'9" 210 lb point guard that can take off from just inside the free throw line and nail a finger roll, high percentage 3 point shooter, slasher style drive, Nowitzki style scorer at times as well.

It'd be fun.

And yeah, I see the magic holding onto Turkgolu, Howard, Bogans, and Nelson, other than that, maybe even Ariza, deal out some players.

What do you think about Boston? Deal out Paul Pierce and restructure or hold onto Pierce and deal out the youth for a chance at winning?

I think your proly older than me tho. Im a 5'8", 150 lb. PG that can start from the three and work his way in. Easily pop the mid-range jumper and the long-range three. I can drive decently, but getting better, and am a good passer. More like a Steve Nash/Allen Iverson type of player.

I'm 5' 5". I can hit an alright amount from beyond the arch, but I'm awful shooting anywhere closer, lol. I can lay it up, yeah, but as a shot, I'm terrible. Well, maybe not terrible, decent. I'm better since my cousin taught me a lot more. His team should be going to state, and he's 15. Besides that, my strength is in speed, acceleration, and passing the ball.

Spidey B)

I'd liken myself to an attempt at a Chris Paul/Steve Nash/Stephon Marbury combo I'm workin' at. I'm 19, the body size is just because I was meant to be a football player, the ability to post other guards on the block is huge for me though. The shots, I was the runt in basketball early on in and had to learn to drain shots further back than most kids could so I would get breathing room, I can cut to the rim, post on the block, hit a shot from anywhere, make my own shot, hit em' on the go, it's been a long time of work to do it, but I also found something real sweet which I think you'd be interested in.

It's a weight training program my friends are on to increase vertical. Up to 8 inches added to it (If I add 8 inches I'm dunking WITH flare, I'm at the rim-rip right now). My room-mate from last year already has two inches and he's been at it for about a month.

Take a weight belt, add 100lbs worth of weights to it. Set the balls of your feet elevated and your heels to the floor. Do lifts in three positions:

/\ Both feet pointing in

|.| Feet parallel

\/ Both feet pointing out

Do that 50 times, if you want to really push the program jump.

150 of these 3-5 times a week and within the month the difference will be significant. Your legs will hurt the next day but it's worth it.