Sign in to follow this  
Fervor

Basketball Season

Yea, see, Im only 16. Ive got this sweet post move. Its kinda a hook, but not really. Its hard to block and very accurate. I can also manuver in the air well, dispite my whiteboy ups. LOL. Other than that, Im not too good under the basket. But Im good everywhere else.

That sounds like an awesome program. Where can I get a cheap weight belt? Right now, Im like a half inch from BACKBOARD. LOL. Im all white boi.

Oh, you definitly keep Ariza. He is going to be an awesome player. But nelson, I think he may be an attitude problem on the team right now. Maybe get ride of him. Hill stays too. Still good and will go for less money.

I think you keep Pierce and build around him. I mean, if Magic would have kept T-mac and built this type of team around him, imagine how good the team would be.

Any local weight room will be fine for the weight belt and 100 pounds worth of free weights. It'll work well, you'll be able to dunk. I'm at the rim at 5'9" so it's a nifty thing to look into for me, age has nothing to do with it too, my 17 year old cousin can run me ragged and out-shoot me at times. As far as the post move, sounds good, I use a variety of fades, pumps, Olajuwan moves, hooks, and reverses.

Not sure about the T-Mac statement, do you think Howard would've still been an option? A draft choice like that wouldn't have fallen in as much with Tracy on the team. I mean look at Houston (Admittedly the make-up of Houston is a tad better than what Orlando had at that time), on T-Mac's messed up back alone he's carried them on some great win-streaks.

As far as Boston is concerned, I say deal out pierce and get some good draft spots in this next one coming up and ship some new talent in. Pierce is good but Boston needs to start over, when Walker went the hopes for a play-off spot did in Boston as well.

With Nelson in consideration, I'd think some disagreements wouldn't be too hard to get past, he's been in Orlando for a while and he's stepped up there, after an act of good faith or two towards the post-season or so (All things considered, a good draft talk, maybe bringing in some new players but secure the point guard spot for him) those would all clear up right fast.

Problem with me is I dont have time to work out or anything. If Im not practicing, Im playing a game, and when its not b-ball, its school. Im thinking about doing it tho. That doesnt sound like it takes as much time as regular working out. Ill try it.

Well, see, Houstan already had Yao and some other good players that T-mac could work with. Magic had no one. Like zippity-do-da-day, nada. Now they have some good post players and some good guards. Give, they would not have either Dirko or Arroyo, but it was a mistake to get Francis in the first place. He is still a ball hog and now hes hurt. That was the biggest mistake the Magic have made in years.

Maybe, but I dont know whats coming in as far as rookies go. Im not big into college.

I think that he could, but you also have so many other good PGs that want some play time. Arroyo, Redick, and Diener are all decent players and I would like to see them get more time. Plus, Nelson has some problems with turnovers. He dribbles too much, like many b-ball players today. That and too many threes.

With the college statement, two words: Greg Oden.

If high school players were allowed to be drafted last year Bargnani wouldn't have went first. He's a 7 footer being hailed as the next Shaq, it's gonna be incredible. Whichever team loses their way to the top this year is gonna be happy, super happy.

I was upset, I wanted to watch that game but I went and saw Pan's Labyrinth last night. I saw the score, I was also mad because we have YES Network here so I can watch Nets games anytime. All things considered I expected Orlando to win that one, was sad about Seattle's loss, and the Celtics are now tied for their worst skid in history. Houston takes on New Orleans/Oklahoma City tonight, thinking we go 5 straight.

The Celtics have been bad for a few years. At least a couple of years ago they were 8th in the East and able to make the play-offs. Since then they lost Gary Payton, Antoine Walker, and stranded Paul Pierce with a bunch of young guys. Boston is in a rebuilding period. They really need to deal out Pierce while his value is high (For the love of God keep him out of the West). Get a couple of draft options or maybe a mid-level star for draft picks and Pierce.

And time for my obligatory: Go Houston!

Magic are really streaky right now. They need to get a good winning streak and stay on it for a while. They cant keep going with the win-loss dance the whole season. A 50-50 team doesnt deserve the play-offs in my opinion.

Yes, Rockets are pretty much rocking. I actually want to see them in the finals, but that means they have to get past the Suns, a very tough opponant you must admit.

Yea, Celtics just messed themselves up by lossing Payton and Walker. They were much better off with them than without. I agree. Get a young mid-star and a few draft picks and in a few years, theyll be good, but right now, they can forget the play-offs if they keep in this boat.

I think the suns are SLIGHTLY overrated as a title contention team this year. It's Mavs or a similar team. Phoenix has only won 3 games against the big boys of the West (Admittedly they've beaten Houston twice). Houston's reserves were able to run Phoenix *we were without Yao and Tracy and Phoenix won by like 10 at the end with a late run I think*. It's gonna be tough to get there, I think Houston will be a second round knock-out team with the Mavs and Suns in the finals and the Mavs in the championship, they'll be playing Washington or Detroit. Mavs will get a ring this year.

As far as Orlando, stability and tranquility, it's gotta come, they're mostly young so they're rowdy and streaks are prone. However in the East you can be as streaky as you want and you're never far from play-off contention. I think Orlando will be fine.

Total agreement on Boston's situation, nice.

I dont know bout that. Amare is domonite, Nash is almost unstoppable, Marion is good all around, and the others, as Diaw and Bell/Barbosa, are good players with even better potential. But yes, mav definitly in the finals, and I think the Wizards. Arenas is just too good.

I agree. They are very young. They are still getting use to the big league. But, also as you said, you can be a little streaky when it comes to the East. But I think they will domitnate either next year or the year after. Soon tho. as long as the play their cards right and dont make any stupid trades.

Finally, we agree on something.

REAL happy to see Howard in the dunk contest. Hope to see him win. I think he will. Robinson and Green are good, but Howard has the height and the ups. He wins hands down.

As far as the Suns are concerned, we have to look past the quality of the individual players and how they meld, because in that sense, hands-down the Suns have it, HOWEVER we have to look at how they perform and compete. The bottom line is as good as Phoenix is, Houston was able to push WITHOUT Yao and Tracy and they've won 3 games out of like 8 or 10 with top Western teams. Stretch that out over a possible 7 game series and Phoenix just might not be able to pull it out against some of these elite west teams *I think anywhere from 1-6, even 7 in the West can be considered NBA Elite right now*.

I see Orlando holding onto their cards, they've been patient now there's no reason to make any dumb moves. They dumped out some salary by moving Francis and such, Hill probably will retire soon and that'll take a load off, even if Orlando makes it into the play-offs (They have a good shot actually) you can still draft nicely considering the record layout of the play-offs as well, the east will be able to draft well and the NCAA has alot of good talent to move up into the NBA. So Orlando is smart to play patient and relax for the next year or two, tantalize the play-offs then make a solid run in 3-5 years.

As far as the dunk contest is concerned, I don't think Howard has it hands down. Two words man... Tyrus Thomas. Check out his career dunk highlights on NBA.com.

With Phoenix it all depends. They have to play team ball, not Nash & Stoudamire ball. It has to become a team game for them, or else it's 2 on 5, if you are playing Dallas in the Finals.

Spidey B)

I think they play good team ball. I mean, Nash has over 10 assists a game and they cant ALL be to Stoudamire. I mean the other players on their team contrabute their share. Diaw had like 30 one game. That all I got to say.

I agree. Like I said, dont do anything stupid and in a few years youll be good. No doubt. I see them going to at least the championships in a few years, if they keep smart.

I did see Thomas's reel. Ill give him his due, hes good. But did you happen to see Howard's too? Did you see how far he reached for the last dunk. I was reading something about him the other day. They were interviewing him at some place with 12'6" rims, one was bent down for great NBA stars like MJ, Spud Webb, and others dunking on it and the other was straight up. howards, as he was leaving the building, went up and dunked on the bent one. They laughed and was kinda of amazed at the ups, but they had seen it dunked on the bent rim. Then he went over and just demolished the no-bent one. Everone was awed. I mean he didnt just dunk on it, he killed the rim. That means he had to touch AT LEAST 13 feet in the air. Tell me thats not amazing.

My Western Conference picks are Houston v. Dallas, Phoenix proved they're overrated by losing to top teams in the West consistently (Save for being able to drop the Spurs and the Rockets (Rockets were conditional, No T-Mac the first time, no Yao or T-Mac last time), until they prove that, I'm not buying em'. They're a good team, I believe that whole-heartedly, but I don't think they're championship material. Defense lacks, over the long run they'll be figured out easily and collapse. As well, as soon as you make Phoenix change their tempo to slow you expose alot about them. Defense like what Houston plays and the pace is perfect to diffuse Phoenix's offense. Dallas has the defense to do it, the offense to do it, Houston has the same, they've proven without Yao they can push, bring Yao and T-Mac together and do you see many teams standing in the way? Add to that the NBA's top rated defense and some of the best reserves (Mutombo is playing like he's in his 20's again, same with Howard, Hayes with the energy and rebounding, Head shooting the lights out, Snyder healthy is lethal, it's just awe-inspiring).

Edit: Just heard the stat, 4-8 against the top teams in the west and 14-10 against teams over 500, not gonna be good enough.

So we're all totally agreed, Orlando will be a deep play-off runner in 5-6 years?

I think Boston will get back to threatening play-offs in the same amount of time, if they deal out Pierce or the talent, something needs to shift before they move up, they'll be deep running in 5-6 years too, same with the Hawks and Bobcats so long as they keep adding and keep their core groups.

As far as the dunk contest, I'm not gonna buy all the Howard bill though. He's good, he's a powerful dunker and a very scary dunker, however we have to look at the evolution of the dunk contest. It's gonna be Robinson and Green in the final round so long as they don't default or undershow in their dunks. The NBA loves smaller guys hanging in the air and performing acrobatics. Last year we saw with Hakeem Warrick and a few years back with Stromile Swift and Amare Stoudemire, big men are heavily penalized in the dunk contest. Of anything I'm putting Thomas' ups above Howard's and from his highlight reel in a game the kid dunks from just inside the free throw line and hangs in air. On that same point, that's why I'm really seeing Green, he can pick a dollar off the backboard and leave ya change cause he hangs in the air that long, he's scary and a beautiful dunker.

I didn't say they don't play team ball dude, just they're gonna hafta rely on the rest of the team to win the big ones, and not simply Nash and Stoutamire.

Spidey B)

Did I say anything about team ball in my post? I was more blanket replying to Suns supporters in general.

Not saying Houstan isnt a good team, they are great. I just think that you are under-rating the Suns, but we shall see. Given, Dallis will beat either one. They have almost the perfect team. Dirk is just unguardable. Hes got you everywhere. You watch his drive, he'll pop a jumper in your face. You watch that, he'll drive you. You guard in the middle, he'll j a three in your face. On the post, he will brake you down and just utterly embarrass you. Amazing. I say the Mavs are the champs.

Yes, Magic will be very competitive in that many or less years, depending on how quick their youngsters grow and learn. I also agree with the others, but Im almost sure the coaching staff of one of them will mess up and ruin those chances. There is always one of those teams that have potential, but the coaching staff make some just plain stupid mistakes. Always happens, but yes, in total agreement.

Well, I also disagree with you here. Dwight not only has the height and the ups, but, for a big guy, he is very graceful and athletic. Yes, the judges have shown a bit of parciality to the little dudes, but I think Howard will change that. I mean, you have to admit, slamming on a 12'6" foot rim is pretty dang amazing. Lets see Nate do that.

Standard Rim: 10'

Nate Robinson: 5'-9"

Standing height from the rim: 4'-3"

Dwight Howard: 6'-11"

Standing Height from the rim: 3'-1"

Tyrus Thomas: 6'-9"

Standing height from the rim: 3'-3"

Gerald Green: 6'-8"

Standing height from the rim: 3'-4"

Nate Robinson has the furthest distance to go by all standards, and while yes, I am impressive by Howard's ups, we're not addressing hang-time here still. Robinson needs to improve hang-time but his height delivers him the rest of the way. Gerald Green could dunk on that 12 foot rim as well, same with Lebron and the likes, while it is a rare ability, it's not isolated to Howard. As well, like I said, Howard's dunks are more authoritative rather than finesse, which the call is for finesse and hang-time. In that department the smaller boys have the better chance. Thomas hangs in the air and Green hangs in the air, I'm counting their chances among the best. I will say Dwight will put on a great show, and if I'm proven wrong I'll change my icon to an Orlando Magic one (If Dwight wins) just for you bro, but I'm callin' Gerald Green or Thomas (Gonna change my earlier pick of Robinson).

As far as Phoenix, like I said, the stats speak for themselves. Phoenix has a hard time beating the top teams, they even have some problems against .500 and up teams. Not saying Phoenix isn't good but all in all, I don't think they're title defenders. They're a good offensive team but they need more D, they need to not struggle/lose to quality teams. Especially when you can't get over the Jazz. Houston with Yao and T-Mac healthy there's little chance most teams will get by em', maybe Dallas, that's all.

I really think those young teams will hold on, it's becoming a trend to hold onto talent and restructure through them and draft choices. Boston won't mess up, Orlando and Utah are prime examples of the hold-out method for improvement, it's definitely gonna prove to work out for those two and that model will follow alot of clubs.

Fine, and just the same, I will change mine to a Houston if anybody but Robinson wins. (Seeing that you choise the other two.) I will also change my siggy if Houston makes and wins the Championship, for if they can beat Dallas, they deserve it.

I think when the time comes to beat some of the harder teams or go home comes, they will step up. But like I said, I will give the Rockets their due. Either them or the Suns in the Championship games, but Mavs take all. No doubt.

I agree. It is becoming more and more popular to keep young stars and form around them. Before, teams would deal them away for a well-known vetein star and before you know it, the youngster is just as good or better than the one they traded for. But it is not as much the same today. They have learned to keep a young talent. Though struggling now, they will learn with time. That brings up the topic of, do you keep JJ and try to improve him, or trade him away? He has been showing good progress lately. The first time he went out against the Buck, (IE they lost that game. Some no-name guy scored a bunch of points. Magic are good at making a sub-pare player awesome, but keeping the real stars shut down. Just like Smush Parker scoring 30+ on them and Kobe only scoring just under 20.) he hit two threes in less them 2:00 minutes. He dropped them like they were nothing.

I think in the case of JJ, let him bounce around the league all ya want, I don't think he'll ever be too much more than a spot-up shooter, a good 6 man or a weak SG starter on a sub-standard team. He can shoot but creation of his own shot or running an offense isn't his strong-suit. I'd whell out JJ and a couple other players if I were the magic and get a a young project player (You know he has a huge upshot but it's gonna take alot of work) and a mid-seasoned star, someone with 8-10 or so years on the contract but a reliable star, at this stage it's boys like Iverson, Webber, and what-not, but there are a few of em' around that are worth it, not prolific but experienced and quality. Antawn Jamison for example, I know Washington would never part with him, but he's part of that 8-10 year sweet spot of players, peaking or getting over their peak, I know Boston might be willing to entice Pierce outta there ;) and Pau Gasol is looking for a trade).

I like Charlotte's future prospects, keep building around Okafor, Felton, May, and Wallace, you can easily ship Wallave or May around but really develop those two keys and the other two are great pieces to any team as it is. Atlanta is doing well building around Johnson just get a better point guard and big man. Portland is doing some major reconstruction but they'll have a while because I think their GM is more confused than a dyslexic in a library.

Shall we make this a decent bet then? So you can stick behind Robinson and Howard, one of those two winning, I'll take up Thomas and Green, if either of those two win, you go Houston avvie I'll go with a Magic one if your boys win. If Houston makes it to the championship (Health and God willing) I will flood CTF with my joy and have a gargantuan picture of the celebration in the siggy heh.

I believe he will end up a little better than you expect, but definitly not a star. I kind of agree with you. You may be able to get something better for him, seeing that some people still believe that JJ will end up something really great. But dont get someone like AI. He is quite the ball-hog and can ruin a TEAM effort. Magic need someone that will play team ball. It would have been good to have gotten C. Web, but now Detriot found other sub-pare star for their already quite awesome star starters. Too bad they lost Big Ben. Even tho hes not putting up the points and rebounds he did last year, he is still a good player.

I agree. Built a strong team around Okafor and Felton, you will end up in a good position. I say keep Wallace tho, but trade away Mays and someone else for a decent player. Wallace is still pretty good. Also, I agree with Atlanta. They have the talent, just not the height. Get a good big man that can draw some attension away from Joe so he can hit some of those mid-range Js and a few threes. Also gives Smith a chance for some open lanes. I mean Wright is ok, but hes old. Also, get a good PG in there. Speedy is definitly retiring soon and Childress plays a better F/SG. Do that, and Atlanta will end up there with Magic in a few years.

Yes, we shall. If Green or Thomas wins, I will take a Rocket avvie, but WHEN Howard or Robinson wins, you will go Magic. And i will take any custom Siggy you want me to if the Rockets make it to AND WIN the Championship. Its a deal then.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! My odds just decreased a bit, just watched Thomas roll his ankle going for a dunk. I rolled mine a few days ago and MAN is it painful to watch, especially considering he still got a good amount of height on his dunk attempt. This might reduce me to pinning all hopes on Gerald Green, I'm nervous now man.

I'll venture out my calls for all-star weekend.

West wins the All-Star Game.

Green wins the Dunk Contest.

Sophomores win the rookie challenge.

Hopefully Thomas will recover in time to participate.

OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH!!! Tough brake. Man, the competion is going quick. I want Howard to at least have someone to go against, instead of getting it by defult. He'll win anyways. Im sorry for the over-confidence, Im just a big Howard fan.

Ill agree with the first and last, but you know my thoughts on the other. Sophmore almost always win and West has always been better than the east. Too bad Howard isnt going to be a starter. I think he deserved it over Shaq. Shaq hasnt even played half the year. Howard has worked hard all year and now is just a bench warmer. It kinda sucks.