Sign in to follow this  
Vision

Antivirus Software

I use Microsoft Security Essentials because it is good yet small and minimal unlike AVG, which is notorious for bogging down weaker systems like my netbook... But, I do also use Ubuntu, and the sweet and nice thing about Linux is that I don't have to worry about spyware/adware/viruses etc :P

Necro'd much?

Anyway: AVG + Spybot + Ad-aware = Win

However, i sometimes find myself taking off teatimer (comes with spybot) because it lags on startup

yeah AVG is a really good one to use

Mcaffe is what I use on some of my other computers which can detect things really well but will do next to nothing to help you deal with it if its in any way tricky to kill.

Norton needs a seperate computer just to run it and is really not worth your time

or switch to a Linux system ;)

Avast is my favourite anti-virus - it seems faster than AVG (then again, I am using Vista...).

The Advanced System Care software is also very good, though I prefer the Iobit toolbox - much of the same software, but portable and totally free.

Back when I had Windows, I used Kaspersky. It's caught stuff that Norton and AVG Free failed to catch, so, it's my anti-virus of choice.

I'm using Malwarebytes, Spybot S&A is kinda annoying because of teatimer makes my laptop lag, and kaspersky for AV.

@jesusisalethalweapon: I'm using Advanced System Care too, and also game booster, and tuneup utilities.

There are DEFINITELY some good free anti viruses out there! (Of course, paid = Higher Quality...)

When I used Windows, my Top 3 choices (in no particular order) were the following:

Panda Cloud Antivirus (www.cloudantivirus.com) - Small Footprint (500KB-3MB), High detection Rate

Avast! 5 Antivirus (www.avast.com) - Medium Footprint (43MB), High Detection Rate

Avira Antivirus (http://www.free-av.com/) - Medium Footprint (50-60MB), High Detection Rate

Anti Spyware:

SUPERAntiSpyware

SpywareBlocker

General yet High Detection Malware-Remover:

MalwareBytes Anti-Malware

Good Firewall:

Zonealarm

Everything is free that I posted.

I use Avast! Free Edition--works wonders. I used to use AVG Free, which worked really well. Then, I updated to AVG 2011 and it bogged everything down, not to mention disabling my internet.

I also use a variety of Spyware tools (all stored on the EHD, of course), but generally MalwareBytes or Iobit 360 as the first two scanners.

ZoneAlarm is excellent for a firewall.

I hear Avira AntiVir is pretty good, plus Kapersky and ESET's NOD32. ESET is free to try for 30 days.

WinPatrol is good for a system manager.

I use Panda. It's not as well known, I think, but it works wonders for me. It doesn't block the risky sites that I frequent, but it'll tell me when something I'm downloading is dangerous. Plus it's free.

I have avira antivirus free, unfortunately it is only activated till september 2011 and after that I will have to buy a new version. Although by then I probably will have decided to go onto a different version of antivirus software. Besides this avira is very good with great detection rates.

yea, according to av-comparatives.org at least (believe thats the url) it has consistently the best detections in the world, except sometimes kaspersky, but kaspersky is expensive with no free version.

btw why is it only 'activated' till them? you should be able to use the free version indefinitely and, frankly, you should. xD coming from someone who works in a pc shop and sees computers nearly every day

Best lightweight, powerful, easy, free antivirus? Microsoft Security Essentials. Not the security center or windows defender. That's the software my dad uses for his IT work, and what I've found to be the best.

Avg can slow your system down. Avast! is good. But for a program that works? Microsoft Security Essentials is the way to go.

You always install new software in Safe Mode. In Safe Mode only the processes needed for the OS to run will be on. That way you will run very little risk of any existing files getting corrupted during installation of a new program or any of the new programs files getting corrupted by other processes/programs running during installation.

You always install new software in Safe Mode. In Safe Mode only the processes needed for the OS to run will be on. That way you will run very little risk of any existing files getting corrupted during installation of a new program or any of the new programs files getting corrupted by other processes/programs running during installation.

this sounds convenient and effective.

Coming from a tech head, the best free is AVG. I've heard Avast is good and a few others but I recommend AVG. I'm all with Chad. It runss in the background and does it's job greatly.

I've talked to several people about AVG and have heard good things about it. I was in Iraq in 2004 while in the Army National Guard and helped run a computer lab. We had 17 computers and never had any virus's the whole year with AVG. I still use it today.

If you're running Windows Vista,Microsoft Security Essentials is the way to go. My vista continaully turned AVG,Avira and other such software off,putting itself at risk. >.< Got MSE awhile back...no issues yet.

If you're running Windows Vista, you should stop running windows vista ;)

Run Avira or Avast! on Windows 7 or Vista. Microsoft Security Essentials doesn't have the problems AVG has with false positives, it just has a problem with detecting most viruses :P AVG has a problem with false positives.

The above are great for real time protection, but sometimes you get viruses before the updates by your AV, so install malwarebytes anti-malware as well. It is THE most effective solution around, but with the free version you don't get Real time protection.

Don't install antivirus in safe mode. Some of installshield's dependencies don't start up as services in safe mode, which for some AV's can not allow you to install at all, or corrupt the install. Clean out your startup list with ccleaner and install the antivirus.