chuck

"Pot"

POT  

1. 1. POT

• No way!
    • Its not that bad but you shouldn't do it
    • Its not that bad if you only use it once in awhile
    • It should be just as legal as beer and cigarettes

I have in my youth group a girl who up till this year has always strongly opposed any type of "drug" meaning marijuana, cocaine, crack, heroin, and you get the picture. Now like I said this was just a year ago today she can not seem to find whats actually wrong with smoking pot. Now of course yes she is smoking it and the influence has came from the boyfriend she has and the group she now hangs with because of the boy friend.

So this is like a 2 part thing the poll is as listed

The second part is as a peer how would you handle this person if they where your friend?

I would tell my friend what IS wrong with smoking pot.[/b]

First off yes I vote no way also but what do you believe is wrong about it?

Let me give you one of the arguments;

"Why shouldn't marijuana be legal I mean I see it like this there are cigarettes and they are suppose to be bad not only for the one smoking them but also for others around them and hey look at alcohol I mean you can go to a store buy it and get drunk and its legal so why not legalize marijuana I mean we are not talking about cocaine or heroin or anything like that"

This is what I'm up against each day and to be honest that was the same basic reasoning to legalize "pot" that was around when I was in school 20 years ago. So I'd like to hear some of the arguments you all would come up with if your friend started trying to reason it out to you like that.

I'd never do it. And I'd never encourage anyone to do it. But, live and let live I suppose...

I have friends who smoke pot. I don't and never will. As long as they don't do anything harder than that (cocaine, etc...) and as long as it doesn't take over their lives it doesn't bother me.

The third and fourth options are pretty much the same thing, at least to me. Well, actually, you could answer yes to both of those equally well because one's about morality and the other about legality.

It's not as bad as some people make out. It has killed 0 people in the world-(not including accidents caused by weed).

90% of my friends do it, but I never do it. I always worry it will interfere with my basketball career. So... no, I don't do it.

But, I don't discourage others using it either.

I don't like the term "gateway drug" because it implies that there's something innate within the drug that makes it go on to bigger things. There isn't. The reason pot is a "gateway drug" is because a lot of the same people who deal pot also deal bigger stuff and they'll use pot as a foot in the door - they'll say "Hey, try some pot, it's pretty much harmless" and people will believe them because... well, because they're right. Then the dealer makes a relationship and steps it up to the next level eventually. This is one of the major reasons I think pot should be legal, it would deprive dealers of that foot in the door with people because regular stores would sell it and illegal dealer type folks wouldn't be able to compete.

As far as it being harmful to your body, you're right in that it can be harmful if overdone. This is true of, quite literally, everything. Smoking, eating, hand washing, whatever. Responsible, occasional use of marijuana is less harmful to your body than someone having a cigar with their buddies every once in a while.

The US was trying to make weed legal but unsuccessful because of the drug dealing that has being everywhere in this country, so the gov't can't control it, so it became illegal... the only bad about weed is that it's illegal though we all should avoid it anyway because we should spend more time on more precious things and more time with Jesus than being High. . .

there are worse things the youth of america could be doing, I'm not saying we should all go get high, but I do think that there are much worse things we could be doing.

I answered "NO WAY!". Do I think it should be legal? NO WAY! In fact, I think that alcoholic beverages and tobacco should be illegal too, so your arguement did nothing for me. God tells us that our bodies are sanctuaries for Him, so we should keep our bodies free from that stuff and only do things that will be God-glorifying.

I have seen what liquor and tobacco can do to people because some of my relatives use them and I don't like the results. This is why I am strongly opposed to anything of that nature. It doesn't do your body any good, so why do it?

:lol: alcohol being legal is what started the whole organized crime thing. Making it illegal will just create more crime...

but back on topic... I agree with AKA_kk on the matter...

In fact, I think that alcoholic beverages and tobacco should be illegal too,[/b]

Prohibition started the Mafia. So banning it again will just increase organized crime.

I don't think that people should do it for recreational purposes, but I believe medical marijuana should be able to be used. I also believe that it should be legal, I am very conservative, so I believe that most things should be legal as long as it is not hurting someone else.

I answered "NO WAY!". Do I think it should be legal? NO WAY! In fact, I think that alcoholic beverages and tobacco should be illegal too, so your arguement did nothing for me. God tells us that our bodies are sanctuaries for Him, so we should keep our bodies free from that stuff and only do things that will be God-glorifying.

I have seen what liquor and tobacco can do to people because some of my relatives use them and I don't like the results. This is why I am strongly opposed to anything of that nature. It doesn't do your body any good, so why do it?[/b]

There's something that you're missing here, and it's something that a lot of people don't realize, though I can't see how they miss it. MAKING SOMETHING ILLEGAL DOES NOT STOP PEOPLE FROM DOING IT! It stops SOME people from doing it, but those people were very unlikely to abuse it in the first place, and once it's illegal it becomes a source of revenue for organized crime. So basically, that's all illegalization of substances does. It keeps people from using it responsibly while still letting people overdo it, and it provides money to gangs.

I realize that making something illegal will not stop people from doing it. But what I'm saying is that if something should not be done, then people should not be allowed to do it legally. If they are caught, they should be punished because what they were doing was illegal. It is just too bad though that people are so out of control (and the government isn't exactly perfect either) that a frighteningly large amount of people will still do something that is illegal.

I am not denying that they will do it, they will still do it, but if that is what is keeping us from having a law against these things, then what is holding our other laws in place? Aren't our other laws that we all agree on also broken? But yet they are still illegal.

And even if things like murder or stealing were legal; does that mean that it is right to do them? No, God tells us not to, so it is still wrong. The reason we have human leaders is to enforce God's rules. If they can just do that through the laws they make, then overall, we will have a better country.

i like pot. everyone has their own free minds to do what they want with their body and health tho.

i dont do pot anymore tho, tho i always have the craving to get high "one last time"

so people can do what they want, and we dont judge them for their choices.

When one of my friends started doing pot, she was coughing all the time, and started to forget everything, when she stopped, she stopped coughing but still forgot everything. Because of that I'm never going to do pot (I wasnt anyways, but now im even more against it)

I voted, No way! We're suppose to be filled with the Holy Spirit, not drunk or high.

Ephesians 5:18

"And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;" KJV

I voted, No way! We're suppose to be filled with the Holy Spirit, not drunk or high.[/b]

I have used that verse in my youth group when asked to give scripture that saids using marijuana is wrong. They simply reply the verse saids nothing about getting high only not to get drunk. Bottom line when you want to do something you will find away to justify doing it.

I'd never do it, but I think it should be legal, just becuase it wouldn't be considered rebellious and less people would do it. You can say as much as you want about how it's not that bad for you, ect, but what is the point of it anyways? Ok, it can take away your stress for a few hours, but you aren't gonna remember the peacefulness you felt while you were high anyways. So really, when you aren't high anymore, you are right back where you started, still stressed out, only you have less money in the bank.

I don't intend to do it, because the effects on your spiritual life of any form of intoxication can be devistating, but that is the only reason. Physically, there is no harm in it, accept the slight lung damage from the smoke, which can be greatly reduced by filtering the smoke through water, which is quite common. It does no harm to anyone else, accept people hurting cause someone is in jail or cause they don't want the people they know doing drugs. It isn't a gateway drug as said quite often by anti-drug protesters, and this can be proven if you look at the number of weed smokers in comparison to the number of users of harder drugs. I find the penalties way to strict, as well, even if it is illegal, though really I don't think it should be illegal simply cause one person smokin' weed isn't gonna hurt anyone else, unlike alcohol which is a much worse drug in all aspects. It can be used quite well for medical purposes as well. Personally, I think any law that takes away the freedom of citizens to do any activity that harms no one except for themselves is a stupid law. I find the drug laws and the seatbelt laws of the US quite stupid really. But that is but my opinion. And before anyone tries to contradict my facts, please don't use sites such as DARE and AtI and etc., cause they all say the same thing, most of the things either highly exaggerating or complete falsehoods based on tests done by doctors without taking all things into consideration, for example the fact that "weed kills brain cells." That was discovered from a test by doctors on monkeys, by putting masks on them and filling the masks with cannabis smoke, with no oxygen. The lack of oxygen killed the cells, not the weed, but still anti-drug protesters who think that one person doing drugs will destroy the entire country use it for a scare tactic. And before anyone says something, I do believe entirely that drug use for any non-medical purpose is morally wrong, but also notice that you can't base every law around the religion that it was founded on, as much as I hate to say that, and for me to say that they should be illegal is to forget my political views and support a theocracy rather than a representative republic(technically, the US govt.).