UK taking Holocaust out of History Books

AwedbyTruth

Well this is bizarre :huh: Last I checked, denying the Holocaust was a federal crime in most European countries...

Oh well, if someone's going to deny the Holocaust, they'll do it whether they're taught it in school or not. What's more, if anyone cares about history, they'll find out on their own. If they don't, (heaven forbid), the class is wasted on them anyway.

It wasn't just the Jews either but also gypsies, lesbians, gays, women in general, communists. But the rest of your post I agree with.

That's what I am saying. Who is encouraging it to be taken out of the curriculum? And why isn't the government saying, "No, you will teach this because it's history."

If they don't teach it, it could happen to the Jews all over again.[/b]

Guest FirefromtheEast

I heard about this before. Its stupid to take this out of history classes, as it is a part of recent history. All parts of history should be taught, no matter how "offecive" they may potentially be to certain groups of people. Denying parts of history can be dangerous, as AwedbyTruth pointed out.

It wasn't just the Jews either but also gypsies, lesbians, gays, women in general, communists. But the rest of your post I agree with.[/b]

*Roma ;)

Guest FirefromtheEast
That's right... yet. But it slowly will catch up. Hatred of the Jews is natural for most for some reason.[/b]

The Holocaust was supposed to be an "ethnic cleansing" sort of thing and did not only target the Jews.

This is both disgusting and ridiculous - I hope the Government gives a long prison sentence to whoever thought of this idea.[/b]
Agree with Yoda.
"because they do not want to cause offence to children from certain races or religions, a report claims."[/b]

Who exactly are they afraid of offending?

The Holocaust was supposed to be an "ethnic cleansing" sort of thing and did not only target the Jews.[/b]

But the Jews were definitely the main target, receiving the most animosity during the Holocaust. Not to say that everyone else didn't suffer greatly, but there's no denying that the Jews had it the worst.

Also, it's not the other victims that are really the source of this new practice in England. You said yourself once before that they were afraid of offending Muslims, because it's Muslims that have problems with Jews. They wouldn't be offended by the idea of mass exterminations of Roma, homosexuals, or communists.

don't stick these guys in prison, geez. the problem is not the holocost and the crusades and the teacher not wanting to teach it, it's the overwhelming fear of being politically correct all the time and not offending people. If the teachers offend the student it's the teacher that has to pay, unfortunately

What I'd like to ask, is why do people still mourn over history? What's done is done, I was at Auschwitz, and mm.. I left the same as I entered, perfectly fine. People die, this was just a mass extermination God knew would happen.

Not like it will matter when the Earth is destroyed either, but that's just my opinion...

What I'd like to ask, is why do people still mourn over history? What's done is done, I was at Auschwitz, and mm.. I left the same as I entered, perfectly fine. People die, this was just a mass extermination God knew would happen.

Not like it will matter when the Earth is destroyed either, but that's just my opinion...[/b]

For some of us, it's a part of our heritage. If I'd been born only 50 or 60 years before I was, I would've been killed along with the rest of my family. It's good to remember the past, because once people forget the past, they're liable to repeat the same mistakes.

Besides, especially for Jews [i can't speak for the other ethnic groups who were targeted, because I don't know personally how they feel about it], it's a way of honoring and showing respect to those who were victims of the Holocaust. Forgetting it happened is forgetting them.

Guest FirefromtheEast
For some of us, it's a part of our heritage. If I'd been born only 50 or 60 years before I was, I would've been killed along with the rest of my family. It's good to remember the past, because once people forget the past, they're liable to repeat the same mistakes.

Besides, especially for Jews [i can't speak for the other ethnic groups who were targeted, because I don't know personally how they feel about it], it's a way of honoring and showing respect to those who were victims of the Holocaust. Forgetting it happened is forgetting them.[/b]

I agree Ana. It is dishonouring those who died to deny the Holocaust.