Sologirl

What book are you reading now?

What's wrong with Burke?

You're a Marxist. I didn't expect a Maxist to be reading anything by one of the fathers of Tory Conservatism.

You're a Marxist. I didn't expect a Maxist to be reading anything by one of the fathers of Tory Conservatism.

I am also a Hegelian who believes that the truth is the whole. I tend to find truth in most philosophies. There is a certain communitarian, embedded ethos to conservative philosophy which has an affinity to Communism. 

That's admirable, if anything. I suppose I should read more authors who have views that don't match mine.

Nietzsche is entertaining if not particularly informative. And grossly misunderstood by the uneducated mass of Christians.

On Certainty - Wittgenstein

Objective Knowledge - Karl Popper

The Open Universe - Popper

100 Arguments Against Sola Scriptura - Dave Armstrong (ehh ... some of it's interesting)

Penguin Classics Early Christian Writings

Just finished with Dr. Spock's Baby and Child Care (and defending him in a paper)

Spock's Spock on Spock

Skimmed The New Dare to Discipline by James Dobson (this book is pretty much crap with a couple of good things thrown in)

The Virgin Mary - Guitton (that book touched my heart; wonderful devotional book)

Spiritual Maxims of Brother Lawrence (also a lovely devotional book)

Dreaming in French: the Paris Years of Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy, Susan Sontag, and Angela Davis - Alice Kaplan 

On Wednesday I finished reading Freddy's Cousin Weedley by Walter R. Brooks. So enjoyable! The Freddy the Pig books are my favorite books series, but there are several I haven't read (this being one). They are a children's books series, but they're so witty and well written that adults can definitely enjoy them. Like Freddy saying R.S.V.P. stands for Refreshments Served Very Promptly. And this one had a good lesson about how you can can disagreements with someone about something important, but still be nice and even friends with them.

Today I started Nancy's Mysterious Letter by Carolyn Keene. A Nancy Drew mystery.

My own copy of Rome's Last Citizen came in today (borrowed it for a while from someone) so I'm picking that back up.

Also started reading The bhagavad gita for no reason in particular. I just have a copy and never read it.

Guest sydneyjd

The Hiding Place. Corrie Ten Boom.

It is an amazing book. Its hard to imagine all that stuff happening when we live in such a seemingly peaceful world.

I've only done what books I'm physically reading, but I also listen to books on tape every night before I go to sleep. Currently I'm listening to Freddy and the Flying Saucer Plans by Walter R. Brooks. The books I've listened to recently from most recent to least recent are...

Anne of the Island by L.M. Montgomery

Anne of Avonlea by L.M. Montgomery

Quentin Corn by Mary Stolz

Freddy the Detective by Walter R. Brooks

Freddy the Politician by Walter R. Brooks

Freddy and the Spaceship by Walter R. Brooks

Freddy and the Baseball Team from Mars by Walter R. Brooks

Freddy and Simon the Dictator by Walter R. Brooks

Freddy and Mr. Camphor by Walter R. Brooks

Freddy Goes to Florida by Walter R. Brooks

I haven't listened to any Freddy books in the order they come in the series. Just in a random order.

I finished reading Lord of the Flies

Now I'm back to My Story by Julia Gillard.