Sologirl

What book are you reading now?

On 7/28/2016 at 9:16 AM, Yoda said:

Emma by Jane Austen

Not a fan. It's like a chick flick, except a book not a flick. 

I'm having to read it for a literature class, I'm barely a fraction of the way through and I have no will to continue. Give me political animals or time travelers, just keep British books about women at bay.

2 hours ago, PlasmaHam said:

I'm having to read it for a literature class, I'm barely a fraction of the way through and I have no will to continue. Give me political animals or time travelers, just keep British books about women at bay.

Wow, my condolences. :(

The book is so boring...

During my last Comic Con adventure I was introduced to Dr. Travis Langley. He is a Psychologist who has written/edited a series of books exploring the psychology of various science fiction/fantasy series. There's one on Batman, Star Wars, Star Trek, Dr. Who, etc. Right now I'm tackling Captain America vs. Ironman: Freedom, Security, Psychology. I highly recommend all of his books. 

53 minutes ago, Allons-y99 said:

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

How far are you into it?

The book starts off quite depressing but it gets better.

18 hours ago, Yoda said:

How far are you into it?

The book starts off quite depressing but it gets better.

Chapter 11. She's just getting to her new job.

I'm reading East of Eden by John Steinbeck. It's very casual about sexism and racism and makes me mad, but I feel like it's intentional.

On 14/10/2016 at 7:24 PM, Music_girl said:

Just started reading Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier, apparently it's a really good book :)

Man I loved this book, got over half way and then lost my bookmark and couldn't figure out where id stopped :(

On 06/11/2016 at 2:30 AM, Allons-y99 said:

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

Also a good one! Despite obvious Mr-Rochester-is-so-awful problems its pretty addictive although rather more boring when he's not there. 

-----

Currently reading: The Burgess Boys by Elizabeth Stout

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 6:34 PM, JKAY said:

The Strain - Chuck Hogan and Guillermo Del Toro

How is it? I've been tempted to read it after catching a few episodes of the series.

Recently went on a Ted Dekker binge and read The Bride CollectorShowdown, Saint, Sinner, Water Walker, and Red. Also went back to reread Steven James' Patrick Bowers series, including The Pawn, The Rook, The Knight, The Bishop, and The Queen, though alas I've failed to get my hands on The King yet.

And just started Bart Ehrman's How Jesus Became God.

19 hours ago, Nicene Nerd said:

Recently went on a Ted Dekker binge and read The Bride CollectorShowdown, Saint, Sinner, Water Walker, and Red. Also went back to reread Steven James' Patrick Bowers series, including The Pawn, The Rook, The Knight, The Bishop, and The Queen, though alas I've failed to get my hands on The King yet.

And just started Bart Ehrman's How Jesus Became God.

I have Green and Black by Ted Dekker, but I haven't read them. I started reading the former in middle school, but I didn't like it. It was kinda gross and dark, too much for my preteen self. Maybe I'll come back to it eventually. But for now I still don't know if I'd enjoy it.

On 11/3/2016 at 4:17 AM, Yoda said:

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

I love that book!

15 hours ago, Bladesinger said:

I love that book!

I thought it was pretty good, but not mind-blowingly awesome. 

I'm now reading On Her Majesty's Secret Service

I love the book the 5th wave. Now that was an awesome book. better then the movie tbh.

On 11/17/2016 at 11:47 AM, Michi said:

I love the book the 5th wave. Now that was an awesome book. better then the movie tbh.

My sister has that book and I think I might borrow it from her soon. I haven't seen the movie.

Right now I'm in the middle of re-reading Endgame by James Frey in preparation to read the sequel. It is definitely one of my favorite books. The storyline is so captivating. Hunger Games-esque, but higher stakes and more modern. In the last few days I read Ready Player One by Ernest Cline, and at Thanksgiving my uncle said he's reading it, too, so that was a funny coincidence. Tons of '80s references in the book. Like, tons tons. And for about a week before that I was reading Alanna: The First Adventure by Tamora Pierce. I liked the story a lot, though it seemed a bit childish in voice for me, but I still think I'll read the sequels, because I did enjoy it. I'm also side reading Will the Real Heretics Please Stand Up? by David Bercot. I'm learning a lot from it. A lot of early Christian history in there. I really like it.

I just finished Slaughterhouse-Five, and am moving on to Freeglader (I realize that it's a step down, literature wise, but oh, the nostalgia).

I just finished Slaughterhouse-Five, and am moving on to Freeglader (I realize that it's a step down, literature wise, but oh, the nostalgia).

i am finished reading the Chobbits and now reading the fruit basket.

It's not about the Bike by Lance Armstrong

You have to wonder how much of the book is real and how much are horrid lies. 

So, for my research paper in English 102 I'm writing on Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (so, of course, I'm reading that currently)—fantastic read—but for one of my sources I borrowed from my professor Passionate Declarations by Howard Zinn. I've only read chapter three ("Violence and Human Nature"), as it seems to be the only chapter pertinent to my essay, but it was super intriguing! I want to talk about it for a second somewhere, anywhere, so I'll use this as my outlet. It explained that people from a variety of disciplines tend to point toward history as evidence that violence is in human nature. Zinn says this tendency suggests that compelling evidence cannot be found in the disciplines themselves, whether from psychology, zoology, biosociology, etc. Furthermore, even history itself, with its plethora of wars, doesn't support that war is natural for us humans. If such violence were really a part of our nature, then war would be perpetual, and it would occur in every culture, as human nature surely encompasses all cultures. However, it is not so. He asserts that violence is virtually always motivated by circumstance. I thought that insight was very interesting, valuable, and, well, true. If any of you particularly likes reading nonfiction, though I have only read about 15 pages of it, Passionate Declarations might be a good read. Zinn's writing pulled me right in :)