Sologirl

What book are you reading now?

So, for my research paper in English 102 I'm writing on Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (so, of course, I'm reading that currently)—fantastic read—but for one of my sources I borrowed from my professor Passionate Declarations by Howard Zinn. I've only read chapter three ("Violence and Human Nature"), as it seems to be the only chapter pertinent to my essay, but it was super intriguing! I want to talk about it for a second somewhere, anywhere, so I'll use this as my outlet. It explained that people from a variety of disciplines tend to point toward history as evidence that violence is in human nature. Zinn says this tendency suggests that compelling evidence cannot be found in the disciplines themselves, whether from psychology, zoology, biosociology, etc. Furthermore, even history itself, with its plethora of wars, doesn't support that war is natural for us humans. If such violence were really a part of our nature, then war would be perpetual, and it would occur in every culture, as human nature surely encompasses all cultures. However, it is not so. He asserts that violence is virtually always motivated by circumstance. I thought that insight was very interesting, valuable, and, well, true. If any of you particularly likes reading nonfiction, though I have only read about 15 pages of it, Passionate Declarations might be a good read. Zinn's writing pulled me right in :)

The Child Thief

A darker take on Peter Pan, that has very little to do with Peter Pan. 

Just recently finished Wayne Reinagel's  final book to his Pulp Heroes trilogy, Pulp Heroes: Sanctuary Falls.

Still in the process of determining what I'll read next. But as it stands Edgar Rice Burroughs or Clark Ashton Smith are high on the list.

Just started reading Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts!! It's a really thick book but so far so good!!

The Electric Edge of Academe: The Saga of Lucien L. Nunn and Deep Springs College. For the most part, a biography of the founder—L. L. Nunn—of Deep Springs College, an extremely rigorous all-male two-year liberal arts college in the Nevadan/Californian high desert. It's celebrating it's hundredth anniversary this year. I plan on applying, and I'm getting my hands on as much information as I can, hence my order of this book. They may be accepting women for the first time next year.

Both the story of Nunn's life and the story of the college are fascinating, so if you're into academia and/or biographies, this would be a good one to pick up.

I'm always struggling to find things to read...

Often I just pick up a book, groan, maybe look through the first chapter, but it eventually ends up back on the shelf after a week. I know i'm a slow reader, but is there anything anyone can recommend to get me motivated to read again?

Well I just finished reading Cress from the lunar chronicles, the author of the series has taken old fairy tales like, Cinderella, red riding hood, ect. And futureized them. Not to spoiler to much, but Cinderella is a cyborg. So far I'm enjoying the series.