Sign in to follow this  
Deeper

'gay' Man Sues Bible Publishers

Well, I agree with you. You should be allowed to have "homosexuality is a sin" in the Bible, but I do like your other suggestion, perhaps the liberals should begin publishing Bibles which tone down the intolerance. :)

Allan

I think the Bible saying that is freedom of speech, and I don't think you can be sued for that, and expect to win.

Yeah, but in the same respect, Freedom of Speech works the other way, I think it's perfectly legitimate to suggest that one need not be intolerant of homosexuality in order to be a Christian. There are very many Christians who are gay. I know a number of them myself.

Allan

Guest FirefromtheEast

Oh come on. *Palmface moment*

Its ridiculous. What makes one man think he can change a very old religious text? And if (by chance) he did win the lawsuit, would that really change people`s beliefs that homosexual relations are sin?

I think that 200 years from now the Christian churches would look back embarrassed by the fact that they were intolerant to gays. I think it'll be exactly the same as what's happened with black people. We're embarrassed now by the fact that 200 years ago black people were persecuted so much by the church.

Allan

Yes, we should be annoyed that a man is trying to sue a publisher of the Bible. But we should also be equally angry with the "Christians" soiling Christ's good name by disturbing this man so much that he would even attempt this.

"me or anyone who is a homosexual to endure verbal abuse, discrimination, episodes of hate, and physical violence ... including murder."

Having personally known a homosexual in the past year who was murdered solely for being gay...this obviously goes beyond Christians only saying that homosexuality is a sin. Note what he said in that quote. The people that have caused this trauma for him and people who would his support his decision to sue are the real problem. Christianity needs to deal with them fast if they're going to not have to endure these ridiculous types of lawsuits in the future. The teenager who murdered the homosexual I knew grew up in a Christian family. And the murder didn't even phase him. The morning after, he was playing with his neighbor's children. Imagine the shock of everyone when their "good ol' boy" was arrested that day for murder.

I'm tolerant of gay people, my best friend is gay, but if it says something in the Bible, I don't like that people are embarrassed of it. It is what it is, it shouldn't be changed. I mean, I'm for gay marriage and I want them treated the same as other people, but I don't like that people want to ignore the fact that it's wrong.

I love that we live in America because of our free speech, but we also have our freedom to be idiots. This dude shouldn't get a cent; I dont care what the topic is, it's free speech.

It's not funny YET.

Will be pretty funny when he leaves the courts empty handed and has to scrape together legal costs however.[/b]

'

You know whats really sad? He'll probably win.

I think that 200 years from now the Christian churches would look back embarrassed by the fact that they were intolerant to gays. I think it'll be exactly the same as what's happened with black people. We're embarrassed now by the fact that 200 years ago black people were persecuted so much by the church.[/b]

I agree. Though it is wrong, homosexuality is one sin. Why should someone be stopped from working in the church due to one particular sin? It's not like anyone else in the church has never sinned. I really think that's it's unfair of the catholic and any other churches to be biased towards anyone who once had this problem.

Quoting from the article:

"me or anyone who is a homosexual to endure verbal abuse, discrimination, episodes of hate, and physical violence ... including murder."[/b]

And we, as Christians today, have to endure all that he says. We go through verbal abuse, discrimination, episodes of hate, and physical violence also. Honestly, in my school, if someone says they're homosexual and someone ele says they're Christian, a Christian will get the dirtiest of glares, because "we will preach"...

Are we going to sue all the homosexuals? No, we won't.

Also, as a lot said here, what happened to freedom of speech?

In 1970, I Corinthians 6:9 read as followed-

Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulteres, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effiminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind.[/b]

Though it's spelled "effeminate"... Isn't that the same as homosexual?

[Middle English effeminat, from Latin effēminātus, past participle of effēmināre, to make feminine : ex-, ex- + fēmina, woman; see dhē(i)- in Indo-European roots.][/b]

In French, 'Feminine' means to have female qualities, which would hint towards being a woman. If the Bible says that women are supposed to love men, hence the word "effeminate" would mean "homosexual". It hasn't been interpreted wrongly, simply translated since our everyday language has evolved and isn't the same anymore.

That guy's going to lose. v.v

Yeah, but in the same respect, Freedom of Speech works the other way, I think it's perfectly legitimate to suggest that one need not be intolerant of homosexuality in order to be a Christian. There are very many Christians who are gay. I know a number of them myself.

Allan[/b]

I'm sorry Allan, but why in the world did you post that oxy-moron? To be homosexual and act on those desires is sin, period, and to live a lifestyle of sin is to ignore the teachings of Jesus and to be walking in darkness. I could easily point you to a number of verses in the Bible that say that, but I think you know them, or at least many of them. Tolerant as in, love them as Christ would, I agree with entirly. Tolerant as in, let them think they are a Christian when they are indeed practicing sinful things that if continued will send them to hell? That is hatred, and we are called to love. Not to mention allowing them their own agenda, let's just say I'd prefer America to have Holy Ghost fire fall upon it than physical fire (notice my allusion to Genesis).

I'm sorry Allan, but why in the world did you post that oxy-moron? To be homosexual and act on those desires is sin, period, and to live a lifestyle of sin is to ignore the teachings of Jesus and to be walking in darkness. I could easily point you to a number of verses in the Bible that say that, but I think you know them, or at least many of them. Tolerant as in, love them as Christ would, I agree with entirly. Tolerant as in, let them think they are a Christian when they are indeed practicing sinful things that if continued will send them to hell? That is hatred, and we are called to love. Not to mention allowing them their own agenda, let's just say I'd prefer America to have Holy Ghost fire fall upon it than physical fire (notice my allusion to Genesis).[/b]

dude, look in your own signature. what happened to God "forgetting our sins"? he'll forget all of them but that one?

EDIT: oops sorry, meant for this to be in a pm! dont wanna bring the debate to the news forum

And we, as Christians today, have to endure all that he says. We go through verbal abuse, discrimination, episodes of hate, and physical violence also. Honestly, in my school, if someone says they're homosexual and someone ele says they're Christian, a Christian will get the dirtiest of glares, because "we will preach"...[/b]

In some countries, that's very true. But not in the States. It's not the same at all, and only a very small handful of Christians would endure what he said to the severity that he is referring to. I'm sorry, I disagree with that 100%.

Fair enough Izzy, but that doesn't destroy the fact that there are a great very many gay Christians in the world today and that they feel perfectly comfortable loving God and loving their partners. One could not be honest to a gay person unless one admitted that it is not uncommon for gay people to claim to be Christians. Simple as that. Now that doesn't mean fundamentalist Christians who believe that homosexuality is sinful, there are a great growing number of Christians today who do not believe that homosexuality is sinful. Isn't that fair enough?

And in defence of gay Christians, a Christian is not defined as someone who believes the Bible to be an inerrant moral guide, a Christian is defined as someone who believes Jesus to be lord. And I do not see where the two necessarily need to equate to one another.

Allan

He's going after the wrong guys. He should be going after the guy who owns the printing press that puts out this horrible material (note: sarcasm). In fact - he should sue the company that BUILT the printing press and the people who produce the ink! It's THEIR fault.

Edit: Oh! And the logging company that harvested the trees that were used as paper.

I don't recall the Constitution guaranteeing anybody that when they buy a book they are guaranteed they will like what they read. Anyone want to fill me in here?

Hey, I've sinfully lusted after a woman who wasn't my wife before. Can I sue just about every religious book on the planet for stating this is wrong?

He's going after the wrong guys. He should be going after the guy who owns the printing press that puts out this horrible material (note: sarcasm). In fact - he should sue the company that BUILT the printing press and the people who produce the ink! It's THEIR fault.

Edit: Oh! And the logging company that harvested the trees that were used as paper.[/b]

Couldn't he also sue God? And the people who wrote the Bible? Oh boy, Paul's going to have a hard time defending himself on this one... :lol:

Perhaps he could also sue the Bible who sell those Bibles, sue the churches that use those Bibles, sue the people who transport those Bibles... It's endless.

That place is disgusting. It's about as accurate as some revisionist histories I've read... Ope, never mind.[/b]

well, Aquinas, they believe they know the truth. :rolleyes: they don't care what's written in the word, all they care about, is what man says. Man says it's ok, the Word says it's wrong...who's right, man who thinks he knows the truth, or God's word whom Jesus tells us is the truth? See, since the Bible says it's wrong, I will believe it's wrong...I know I know...they may THINK that what they're saying is some sort of true doctrine, but when aligned with the word, we know they are wrong.

well, Aquinas, they believe they know the truth. :rolleyes: they don't care what's written in the word, all they care about, is what man says. Man says it's ok, the Word says it's wrong...who's right, man who thinks he knows the truth, or God's word whom Jesus tells us is the truth?[/b]

True. "But I live not for the approval of men, but of God" or something like that.

I think St. Jerome would've ripped them to shreds about interpreting the Bible in such a way, as to make it 'nice' sounding to themselves, not accurate.

I think that 200 years from now the Christian churches would look back embarrassed by the fact that they were intolerant to gays. I think it'll be exactly the same as what's happened with black people. We're embarrassed now by the fact that 200 years ago black people were persecuted so much by the church.

Allan[/b]

And 300 years from now the Christian Churches will look back embarrassed that they were "intolerant" to murderers? Not the same thing at all, true, but basically you're:

A ) Saying the Church is wrong for condemning the sinful actions of people who flagrantly display their homosexual acts and demand we say it's 'ok'.

B ) Blaming all Christian churches for the few who treat homosexuals hatefully?

First of all, prejudice and (further back) slavery weren't exclusive to the Church. They were social issues everyone engaged in. You'll actually find that the Church played a major role in the civil rights movement and in abolitionism. I really don't see where you're coming from here.

Also, we're supposed to love the people but hate the sin. Loving the people doesn't mean approving of their sin no matter how much they demand you openly state that their acts are normal. It's not a matter of accepting them, They want you to accept their sin so that they can feel completely fine about it.

And the Bible states that if someone continues to return openly and willingly to adultery, immorality, drunkenness, etc without remorse, they should be shunned by the brothers (we're not to allow people who intentionally live in sin to be among us).

Why should homosexuals be exempt? If they're truly remorseful and repenting of their acts and actively seeking help and trying hard to avoid those sins, then we should accept them (of course, they're not really homosexuals anymore though). But these "homosexuals" who are defined by their sin and are open in it and refuse to admit it's wrong (wanting us instead to change our views) are clearly living actively in sin and are no better than someone who sits through church in the morning then goes around getting drunk on Sunday nights raping people. Sounds harsh, but how are they different?

True. "But I live not for the approval of men, but of God" or something like that.

I think St. Jerome would've ripped them to shreds about interpreting the Bible in such a way, as to make it 'nice' sounding to themselves, not accurate.[/b]

dang, and you left out the other part of my quote *snaps fingers* the point is, they think they're justified by it, but when looked at and compared with the Bible, they are proved wrong, because the word is the truth and they've distorted that truth to fit a lie, and they could care less about it, because they're right and everyone is just some how dilusioned into thinking it's worng, when the Bible has stated the same thing since the biginning so "oh let's go alter the Bible and take things away and add things"

hey Bible talks about how Christians will be considered evil in the end times because of our beliefs. It goes to say that if you miss the rapture the only way for you to make it to heaven then is that you will be martyred.

Imagine if we 'tone down' down the Bible to an extrent where noone feels guilty for thier sins? Imagine we keep doing so every few years? Soon the Bible will be just a silly book of feel-good messages

-Dont be mean

- g-d is whoever you want him to be

- set your own morals, its cool

etc.

Its a shame we have to go through this, just one more thing thats makes me pull out my hair.