Would it be acceptable for a Christian Girl to wear Hijab?

Happytobe

Girls: Would you ever wear hijab?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Girls: Would you ever wear hijab?

• 6 years later...

Of course it is acceptable !! I am a Moroccan Christian living in the US, and I myself wear a hijab. I am a Youth Pastor in my church and everyone understands that I wear it as a symbol of my heritage and because I am a married woman and it wouldn't be right to dress immodestly in front of other men, not as a religious symbol. In fact, more women should dress that modest... As God would want us to be. There is even a verse in the Bible that says a woman should have her head covered when she prays. The problem is when a woman is forced to wear a hijab. My husband is also Moroccan, and he never even suggested that I wear a hijab, I made that decision on my own, and when I told him, he told me that I should wear it only if it was what I wanted, not to make him happy. I'm not saying every woman should wear a hijab, but people shouldn't make a big deal about it if a woman wanted to. I mean, if a woman is rooted in her faith and has a heart that seeks God, why should it matter what she chooses to look like ?

Edited by mkprincess

Although I would never have the ability to wear it, simply because I do like my hair, I respect those who do.

I had a muslim friend online who explained to me why women wear it, which I found to be beautiful tbh. It is not just this 'religious' thing, but as MKPRINCESS stated, it is a modesty culture. They only let their husbands see their full face. Is that not beautiful?

Appropriating another culture's clothing, especially when it is packed with religious and political connotations, is the fast road to offending a lot of people. So I'd advise against it o/

Edit: This topic is 7 years old.

Edited by Yves

Despite the age of the thread...

Yes, a Christian woman can wear a head covering if they choose.  Nuns have been doing it forever.  I do, in fact, find arabic women wearing head coverings to be beautiful and likewise find the concept of saving all your beauty for your husband to be endearing.

I wouldn't ever wear one (outside of if I was in musical were that was required). I don't think there's anything wrong wearing one, but wearing one United States will be read by the vast majority of people as that woman saying she's Muslim. But in the Arab World I wouldn't see an issue. In some places in the Arab World not wearing a hijab would be considered immodest.

They only let their husbands see their full face. Is that not beautiful?

Hijabs don't cover the face. Hijabs only cover the head, hair, and neck. Burkas cover most of the face.

it is not just this 'religious' thing, but as MKPRINCESS stated, it is a modesty culture. They only let their husbands see their full face. Is that not beautiful?

I do, in fact, find arabic women wearing head coverings to be beautiful and likewise find the concept of saving all your beauty for your husband to be endearing.

Generally in the Muslim World women only wear hijabs around unrelated males or males. And in Muslim countries it's commonplace for there to be women-only gyms with pools where women wear bikinis and other Western swimwear. Obviously not all Muslim women do that. But it's not like all or even most Muslim women are always so modest or only show their beauty to their husband.

It's beautiful, in a way, Would be more so if Muslim culture did not treat women like dirt.

To be fair the men are treated as bad.

Edited by ComedyMusicHistory

• 1 month later...

As far as I know, the hijab is a symbol of modesty in the Muslim religion, so I don't think it would be appropriate for a Christian to wear one. While I do think it is good to be modest, there isn't really a need to be that modest, and it could easily be seen as mocking their religion, or not taking it seriously. It makes me uncomfortable when people wear the cross or get it tattooed on themselves and don't believe in Christ, and I can imagine a Muslim person might feel the same way because the hijab is a pretty recognizable sign that someone is of the Muslim faith. Also, you mentioned in your question that women of that faith are required to wear wear a hijab to cover their hair, and I think that is true in some countries, but in other countries they make the choice to do so after puberty because it's an important part of their faith, to my understanding.

• 1 year later...

It's a good question actually. In my opinion it would totally be fine If a Christian female wanted to wear hijab. For sure you don't have to, but it would be right if she wanted to do so. My thought is that Mother Mary is always depicted with her head and neck covered and she is a great role model. This past February I actually did try wearing a hijab (with a crucifix necklace). For sure they are modest, and it's never a bad thing for a Christian to be modest right?

• 4 weeks later...