Happytobe

Would it be acceptable for a Christian Girl to wear Hijab?

Girls: Would you ever wear hijab?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Girls: Would you ever wear hijab?

Well, what do you think? If a Christian female felt that she should wear a hijab or wanted to wear hijab, would it be right to do so? Explain your opinion if you like.

(For those who don't know: Hijab is the scarves that Muslim women are required to wear to cover their hair.)

Guest Sahana

Im not sure i understand, why would she want to wear one in the first place? just for the sake of wearing one? If so, uhh yeah i guess?

Correct me if im wrong but do you mean this in modesty terms? Like a christian girl wear one so she is perhaps more modest, or feels that way?

I don't know if any christian girl would do this though because regardless of reason, a hijab would make a girl look muslim, and personally I love my identity in christ and would never want people to think otherwise.....

Sure, I can't see why a Christian girl can't wear one, Nuns wear a head covering.

I don't think it is necessary for a woman to wear one, it's just unfair to be forced to wear one in my opinion.

No I wouldn't wear one, I love my hair too much

If she honestly wanted one, i guess.

I dont think think women should be required to wear this, very UN0 A ttractive in my OP ( which is why i think they were created???).

Im a guy

It's definitely all right for a girl/woman to wear one, there's no law against it. No, I don't think it's necessary. I wouldn't want to wear one.

I don't think headcovering is necessary for women. I mean, why?

I don't really think its ok for a Christian to wear it, thats kinda representing a diff. religion IMO.

No its not necessary, if it was, I still wouldn't wear it.

And no, I would not ever wear one of those things.

I don't really think its ok for a Christian to wear it, thats kinda representing a diff. religion IMO.[/b]

In the Arab community, for many women, it has more to do with the culture than Islam, though that is a reason. For example, if I went to Lebanon, it would be important to wear a hijab or a head covering of some kind.

Should Muslim women wear crucifixes?

Should Jews wear Magic Mormon Underwear?

Should Hindus wear burkas?

Where is this question coming from? And why would a Christian woman want to associate herself with Islam?

Where is this question coming from? And why would a Christian woman want to associate herself with Islam?[/b]

Again-a Hijab or a head covering at times has to do with culture, not with religion. In an Arab country, as a woman, I would wear one, simply because I am Arab and I am in a different culture.

Again-a Hijab or a head covering at times has to do with culture, not with religion. In an Arab country, as a woman, I would wear one, simply because I am Arab and I am in a different culture.[/b]

I meant no disrespect, but the original poster defined the Hijab as a "scarf that Muslim women use to cover their hair."

Yes, I understand that it's a culture thing, but it's still a religious thing. The cross is a Christian symbol, but not all people who wear crosses are Christian. It's a cultural thing. In the same sense, not everyone who wears a Hijab is necessarily following Sharia Law. However, I was using the original poster's definition as the basis of my post. The Hijab itself is a religious symbol.

Yes, it may be predominant in Arab countries, and the wearers may be doing it because of the cultural aspect, but the culture is still Islamic.

I'm not condemning you for wearing one, nor do I think it's necessarily wrong for you in your position or situation. But if someone were to wear it in the West, it would be seen as a symbol of Islam, not of Arabic culture.

But if someone were to wear it in the West, it would be seen as a symbol of Islam, not of Arabic culture.[/b]

Would you not consider that a problem of the West and not a problem in the act of wearing the covering? This is clearly an issue of perceived meaning versus intrinsic or actual meaning (and also, in this case, intended meaning).

Would you not consider that a problem of the West and not a problem in the act of wearing the covering? This is clearly an issue of perceived meaning versus intrinsic or actual meaning (and also, in this case, intended meaning).[/b]

Not at all. Again, if an agnostic chooses to wear a cross for cultural or other reasons, whose fault is it if people think he has some association with Christianity? If I wear a Cardinals jersey, are people going to think that I like the Cardinals, or that I'm a sports fan?

It's really not that hard to determine what kind of image you're portraying, even if it's not necessarily the one you want to convey.

Not at all. Again, if an agnostic chooses to wear a cross for cultural or other reasons, whose fault is it if people think he has some association with Christianity?[/b]

It's the fault of the person wearing the cross.

In this situation, the cross is a religious symbol--not a cultural one. This unlike the situation we talked about above in which wearing the hijab is a cultural symbol and not a religious symbol.

I am not responsible for the intellectual decay of society and the narrow conclusions they draw when they see someone waring a hijab.

It's really not that hard to determine what kind of image you're portraying, even if it's not necessarily the one you want to convey.[/b]

Why should my morality be based on the image I might convey un-intendedly?

Maybe I should avoid wearing shirts that say "Proud member of the Catholic Church!" There may be some people who could mis-understand me and think that I'm being sarcastic.

It's the fault of the person wearing the cross.

In this situation, the cross is a religious symbol--not a cultural one. This unlike the situation we talked about above in which wearing the hijab is a cultural symbol and not a religious symbol.

I am not responsible for the intellectual decay of society and the narrow conclusions they draw when they see someone waring a hijab.

Why should my morality be based on the image I might convey un-intendedly?

Maybe I should avoid wearing shirts that say "Proud member of the Catholic Church!" There may be some people who could mis-understand me and think that I'm being sarcastic.[/b]

Ah, but you are responsible for the image that you convey, and to some extent, knowing your audience. It would be in poor taste for me to walk into a hospital with a t-shirt that says, "You're gonna die." However, that same shirt might be a conversation starter at a concert.

It's intellectual decay that insists that religious garmets have only cultural meaning. Perhaps you misunderstood what I said in my original post... People may be wearing them for cultural reasons, but the culture is still a Muslim one, in the same sense that wearing a cross in this (or any) culture is associated with Christianity. It is not merely a cultural garmet anymore than the Magic Mormon Underwear is a "cultural garmet."

See here for starters.

I wouldn't have a problem with any Christian women wearing a hijab, although it may of course make others believe she's a Muslim. But there wouldn't be that problem if she wore a crucifix as well. :P

Guest Sahana
Again-a Hijab or a head covering at times has to do with culture, not with religion. In an Arab country, as a woman, I would wear one, simply because I am Arab and I am in a different culture[/b]

I disagree. It has everybit to do with religion, well actually their religion IS their culture. My sister is a christian and she lives in the middle east, she dosent wear a hijab.....

I was speaking of countries such as Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iraq, etc.

What Middle Eastern Country is your sister living in? I am from Lebanon myself.

I definitly do not have a problem with any head covering for women, if the woman chooses to wear it by her own choice. She does have to wear a hijab but if she does, its a pretty cool covering. There are slightly different ways to wear it and so many different styles for the fabric. If she were to wear a menonite or amish or anything else head covering then people could assume the woman was that religion.

I think its ok. I'm female and I might wear one. I'm not opposed.

I definitly do not have a problem with any head covering for women, if the woman chooses to wear it by her own choice. She does have to wear a hijab but if she does, its a pretty cool covering. There are slightly different ways to wear it and so many different styles for the fabric. If she were to wear a menonite or amish or anything else head covering then people could assume the woman was that religion.

I think its ok. I'm female and I might wear one. I'm not opposed.[/b]

Yes, but the head coverings for Mennonites and the Amish are completely different than the head coverings mandated Sharia Law. If a woman is wearing an Amish head covering, I'm going to assume she's Amish. If a woman is wearing a Muslim head covering, I'm going to assume she's a Muslim.

It's just common sense.

If a woman is wearing a Muslim head covering, I'm going to assume she's a Muslim.

It's just common sense.[/b]

No Yoshi. In certain parts of the Arab world, whether you are Muslim or not, you are required to wear a head covering of some kind. Especially in places like Syria, Afghanistan, Iraq, etc...

No Yoshi. In certain parts of the Arab world, whether you are Muslim or not, you are required to wear a head covering of some kind. Especially in places like Syria, Afghanistan, Iraq, etc...[/b]

Yes, but because of Sharia (read: Muslim) Law. You may be required to wear it, but it's still an inherently Muslim headcovering. I never said it was wrong for you in your situation to wear it, just that wearing a hijab in the West (where it isn't required headgear) for "cultural reasons" is going to identify you as a Muslim.

Yes, but because of Sharia (read: Muslim) Law. You may be required to wear it, but it's still an inherently Muslim headcovering. I never said it was wrong for you in your situation to wear it, just that wearing a hijab in the West (where it isn't required headgear) for "cultural reasons" is going to identify you as a Muslim.[/b]

Ah, I see what you mean now.

Guest Sahana
I was speaking of countries such as Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iraq, etc.

What Middle Eastern Country is your sister living in? I am from Lebanon myself.[/b]

really, wow. Many of my friends are afgans and from lebanon, haha obviously. She lives in Saudi Arabia....i see what you mean though, and i also understand that its because of the law just like Yoshi said:)