Welcome to Christian Teen Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

St Padre Pio- patron saint of teens

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

blackswan41

blackswan41

Member - 1Ker

• 2,289 posts
Ever heard of bilocation? The stigmata? Incorruptibles? This modern day (2002) patron saint of teenagers had it all.

On this 40th anniversary of his death, and Padre Pio's feast day, let us pause to reflect on a man of miracles.

Learn more about his incredible journey hallmarked by much suffering and nightly battles with the devil resulting in little sleep in his Franciscan Friary.
Check out: www.ewtn.com/padrepio/man/index.htm or http://en.wikipedia...._of_Pietrelcina

The movie, "Padre Pio-Miracle Man" is a great view of his life. It can be rented thru blockbuster online. It won the 2001 Audience Award from the Los Angeles Italian Film Award. We own the movie and the scenes depicting the veiled devil's utter discouragement really spoke to me showing me how he attacks all of us with self-loathing.

Our family had the amazing experience of traveling all the way to the simple southern farming town of San Giovana Rotunda, Italy last year to view his shrine. Pilgrimages such as these which entail quite a bit of planning and effort bring special graces to those fortunate enough to make them. Through a series of events, we met a young American Priest who got us into the back chapel where we were able to venerate a pair of Padre's brown wool stigmata gloves.

While God deserves all the glory, I do believe he places special workers among his field to help direct/inspire us toward him.
As Catholics, we honor the saints as holy people who've gone before us to help show us the way to Christ through their loving devotion and sacrifice.

"It is not my business to think about myself. My business is to think about God.
It is for God to think about me. That is where listening begins."--Simone Weil

benedictus

benedictus

Member - 1Ker

• 1,685 posts
Thanks for sharing this because otherwise I wouldn't have remembered!

It is also believed that St. Padre Pio had the gift of reading souls. He held the sacrament of Reconciliation very dearly and spent a lot of time hearing confessions.

I was once told, but have never tried myself, that one could confess his or her sins to the soul of St. Padre Pio in prayer. Of course, you wouldn't receive the graces of the sacrament of Confession or absolution, but the idea sounds so lovely as part of a preparation for confession or examination of conscience and you know he would be praying for you!

I'm just a boy who can shave.
</span>

<div align=\'right\'>CTFwed to Matthew <3
CTFwed to Catrina <span style="color:#ff0000"><3

</div>

Selah

Selah

Member - 1Ker

• 4,620 posts
I love St. Pio! <3 Never knew he was Patron Saint of teens, though. ^_^

He sure was a great man.

St Pio, pray for us!

It is also believed that St. Padre Pio had the gift of reading souls. He held the sacrament of Reconciliation very dearly and spent a lot of time hearing confessions.[/b]

...and from what I have heard, he would kick you out of the confessional if you were not truley remorseful!

He took his job quite seriously.

"Those who find themselves in hell will be chastised by the scourge of love. How cruel and bitter this torment of love will be! ... the sorrow which takes hold of the heart, which has sinned against love, is more piercing than any other pain." (St. Isaac the Syrian)

GOODNESS! WE'RE PLATONIC SOULMATES!

Awww, can I resist tagging you? Here. U haz tag noa.- TheBeckehMod

weird4him

weird4him

Experienced Fellow

• 142 posts
That's cool, even though I'm not Catholic. Do any of ya'll know a good place to find info on the saints? I read the wiki, but wiki's aren't always the most reliable. A good place to start sometimes...but definitely not accepted on research papers. :)

God bless ya'll!

Artist

proud_orthodox_guy

proud_orthodox_guy

Member - 5Ker

• 9,311 posts
A fascinating guy and a true Saint!

Is his body completely incorrupt? I'm not quite clear on that...

My church, as we are Orthodox and he was a Catholic, has not canonized him as a Saint as we are not in communion with Rome.

However, just because they are not officially recognized does not mean they are not Saints! This is a common misconception.

Selah

Selah

Member - 1Ker

• 4,620 posts

Do any of ya'll know a good place to find info on the saints?[/b]

funny you should ask :D

http://www.catholic-...ts/patron00.htm

Your welcome ;)

"Those who find themselves in hell will be chastised by the scourge of love. How cruel and bitter this torment of love will be! ... the sorrow which takes hold of the heart, which has sinned against love, is more piercing than any other pain." (St. Isaac the Syrian)

blackswan41

blackswan41

Member - 1Ker

• 2,289 posts

That's cool, even though I'm not Catholic. Do any of ya'll know a good place to find info on the saints? I read the wiki, but wiki's aren't always the most reliable. A good place to start sometimes...but definitely not accepted on research papers. :)[/b]

Anything is possible with God...check out this 3 part You Tube video series on the incorruptibles. It beats a trip to Europe-well maybe.

There are tons of saint books, can't recommend any one in particular. Check your local Catholic book store, church library or public library if need be.

"It is not my business to think about myself. My business is to think about God.

Selah

Selah

Member - 1Ker

• 4,620 posts

can't recommend any one in particular[/b]

If I may..."Francis: A Saint's Way"

"The Song of Bernadette" is an amazing movie, too, by the way. My word....it's awesome. Just wonderful. Seriously. GO RENT IT!!! :P

blackswan41

blackswan41

Member - 1Ker

• 2,289 posts

A fascinating guy and a true Saint!

Is his body completely incorrupt? I'm not quite clear on that...

However, just because they are not officially recognized does not mean they are not Saints! This is a common misconception.[/b]

March 3, 2008 ROME (Reuters) - The body of the mystic monk Padre Pio, one of the Roman Catholic world's most revered saints who died 40 years ago, has been exhumed to be prepared for display to his many devotees.

The body of the Capuchin friar, who was said to have had the stigmata -- the wounds of Christ's crucifixion -- on his hands and feet -- is to be conserved and put in a part-glass coffin for at least several months from April 24.

A Church statement said the body was in "fair condition", particularly the hands, which Archbishop Domenico D'Ambrosio, who witnessed the exhumation in the southern Italian town where Pio died, said "looked like they had just undergone a manicure".

A spokesman for the monastery at San Giovanni Rotondo said he believed morticians would be able to conserve the face of the bearded monk well enough for it to be recognizable.

The body, which had been buried under marble in a crypt, was exhumed during a three-hour service that ended after midnight.

A Catholic magazine once found that far more Italian Catholics prayed to Padre Pio than to any other icon of the faith, including the Virgin Mary or Jesus.

Some 7 million people visit his tomb every year. There are some 3,000 "Padre Pio Prayer Groups" around the world, with a membership of around 3 million.

"The Song of Bernadette" is an amazing movie, too, by the way. My word....it's awesome. Just wonderful. Seriously. GO RENT IT!!! :P[/b]

We need to start a cool christian movie link if there isn't one
. Suggestions for another thread..??

"Bella" is another fantastic prolife movie which came out this year and won theToronto Film Award. It can be purchased at Best Buy or Blockbuster

Another cool saint movie I own is "Therese" about St Therese of Liseux. A beautiful 2-hour retreat from the world where you can soften your heart.

http://www.theresemovie.com/

Selah

Selah

Member - 1Ker

• 4,620 posts

We need to start a cool christian movie link if there isn't one. Suggestions for another thread..??[/b]

I'm all for it! :D

Another cool saint movie I own is "Therese" about St Therese of Liseux. A beautiful 2-hour retreat from the world where you can soften your heart.[/b]

*gasp!* I...LOVE...HER!!!!! ^_^ Thanks so much for that link!!!!! *hug*

Zabby

Zabby

CTF Staff

• 14,239 posts
First off St. Padre Pio was an amazing, amazing man, and he still is. I did a saint project on him not too long ago. :D Well, I guess it was too long ago... what like 4 years ago? Whatever, it was still fun to find all that stuff out.

"Bella" is another fantastic prolife movie which came out this year and won theToronto Film Award. It can be purchased at Best Buy or Blockbuster

.[/b]

I guess it's just me, but I never understood that movie. :sweatdrop: I watched it all the way through, and it was okey, but I didn't quite get it. Perhaps it was too artisy for me.

Another cool saint movie I own is "Therese" about St Therese of Liseux. A beautiful 2-hour retreat from the world where you can soften your heart.

http://www.theresemovie.com/[/b]

I'll check out this quote ASAP thanks Mrs. P!

There is a trace of You in every alleluia... and it's Your sacred heart within me beating. Your voice within me singing out, for love of You. - Audrey Assad

You're like Lt. Commander Data ^_^

Zabby Has Pointer Approval
-= Yves t'a sig-taggé ^_^ =-
TAG! You're it =D ~Haley<3

CTF married to Yves

weird4him

weird4him

Experienced Fellow

• 142 posts

funny you should ask :D

http://www.catholic-...ts/patron00.htm

Your welcome ;)[/b]

Thanks for the link. :) I added it to my bookmarks. As for the book...I found it on amazon for $36.00...a little out of my price range for now. :) (So...maybe I'm too used to buying cheap books for a few dollars..but thirty six is over kill for one book on my list. :P) Any other suggestions, because to be honest I will get to a book a lot faster than a movie. Last time I watched a movie...a few months ago...last time I read a book...a few days ago. :o

Anything is possible with God...check out this 3 part You Tube video series on the incorruptibles. It beats a trip to Europe-well maybe.[/b]

Thanks for the movies. God is awesome, and he moves in mightily in His people!

Thanks for all the help and suggestions!

Artist

blackswan41

blackswan41

Member - 1Ker

• 2,289 posts

(So...maybe I'm too used to buying cheap books for a few dollars..but thirty six is over kill for one book on my list. :P) Any other suggestions, because to be honest I will get to a book a lot faster than a movie.[/b]

We shop at half-price book stores all the time. They are a national chain of resale books. Not sure if your town has one but surely there's some sort of used book store with a christian book section. This store even has a Catholic section too where we've boughten books on saints, St Thomas Aquinas, St Francis, meditation books, the vintage collector edition set of St Mary of Agreda'a City of God for about $50 worth $300, Cathecism of Catholic Church, European travel books for pilgimmage etc.

Also, I see youre not Catholic but really were a pretty giving bunch. You could always look up a local Catholic church on line and go ask to borrow some from their parish library. Ours is open a few days a week without even a staff member and you just signup on honor system and return in 2 weeks. Go for it!

blackswan41

blackswan41

Member - 1Ker

• 2,289 posts
Its the anniversary day of Padre Pio again today. He's the patron saint of teens. Any takers on matching his schedule?

Padre Pio’s Daily Life as a Capuchin

3:00 a.m. His day began. He liked to spend several hours in prayer and meditation before Mass.

He would not celebrate Mass prior to 5:00 a.m.

Celebration of Mass – could last up to 2 hours

Padre Pio would bless, meet, and talk to people in the sacristy while vesting

After Mass and removing his vestments, Padre Pio would proceed to the choir on the balcony above the small church and make prayers of thanksgiving.

Padre Pio heard confessions. – all morning (would take a morning break) and several hours in the afternoon

12:00 Noon – would have lunch in the friary refectory

After lunch would go into the garden for 30 minutes of recreation

Would then take a short siesta

Pray a rosary

Early afternoon joined the community for afternoon Office

Would have private prayer time in the choir, sometimes for 2 hours

Would then work on correspondence

Mid Afternoon – resumed hearing confessions

4:30 p.m. Vespers and Benediction

Go into the garden for ten or fifteen minutes

At supper would join his community for juice and a cracker (By 1950, he was eating only an ounce of food a day.)

At sundown he would bless the people underneath the window of the choir

In the evening he would confer with other priests, deliver a lecture in town, or work on more correspondence

Late in the evening Padre Pio joined the community in the Night Office

The rest of the community would go to sleep, Padre Pio would study Scripture and pray

Nightly he would visit Padre Agostino’s room and get his blessing

Go to his room and read the Bible until 12:45 a.m., until it was time for Matins.

Then he would join 20 friars in the choir

At 1:30 a.m. would lay down

Maria_AMDG

Maria_AMDG

Member - 1Ker

• 1,301 posts
Neat, I never knew Padre Pio was the patron of teenagers.

I would be absolutely terrified to go to his confessional though..

Selah

Selah

Member - 1Ker

• 4,620 posts
"Pray, hope, and don't worry" :) So simple and basic, but how many of us really do it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users