Virgin Mary Sightings? What do they really see?

time2pray

I'm not talking about seeing Mary on a toasted cheese sandwich -

I'm talking about the famous Virgin Mary sightings in Medjugorje , Lourdes, and other places that I can't remember right now. Are these people really seeing the Virgin Mary? If yes, then how cool is that? And if no, then what are they seeing?

Here's a website which talks about Virgin Mary sightings and the attempt to prove them to be true.

http://www.medjugorje-online.com/apparitions/medjugorje.php

What are your thoughts about this?

I'm inclined to believe that these kids saw something. This video is 25 years old. And Jacov was only around 9 or 10 years old.

I've never met a young boy who would faithfully week after week, year after year attend the Virgin Mary sightings. Most boys get bored with something in only a few days and don't want to do it anymore. But Jacov kept on, year after year after year. And when you look into their faces in this video, you can tell they are seeing something. But what? I don't know. Only they know for sure. Another thing to watch for in the video is how they all kneel down in unison at the exact same time. Anyhow, here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m1LIiqooFY

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Catholic Church has ruled that certain well-known sightings are 'worthy of belief.' They are not matters of doctrine, but are 'private' revelation, as opposed to 'general' revelation, which is binding upon all faithful.

Our Lady of Lourdes seems quite valid (in fact, the Archbishop of Canterbury, the 'head' of the Anglican Church, said that the Our Lady of Lourdes most definitely happened). The Our Lady of Guadaloupe I'm a little more skeptical of.

There's also the Our Lady of Akita, and even the Our Lady of America.

Medjugorie has been seeming a little less valid as of late, although it is mostly the priest (of the area) who has been promoting the Medjugorie cause despite the hierarchy's asking him to be less adamant about it while they look into it.

The one I most definitely believe in would be the Our Lady of the Rosary.

I'm talking about the famous Virgin Mary sightings in Medjugorje , Lourdes, and other places that I can't remember right now. Are these people really seeing the Virgin Mary? If yes, then how cool is that? And if no, then what are they seeing?[/b]

They are very real. <3

I'm personally sceptical of any claims like this. While they could be real for all I know, they're intrinsically unreliable, and distracting as well. And I mean, the only people who'll believe in these sightings either "experience" it themselves, or already believe in what the "experience" would have proven.

And Obsession over "sightings" (or any other contemporary "miraculous events") can distract us from our reliance upon scripture.

So, in short I remain agnostic over such happenings.

There isn't anything written in stone that you must believe in them...I personally do, but some do not, even as Catholics.

These are what we call "approved" apparitions. Apparitions that have been researched and sought out for evidence. It isn't just "yay, Mary!" The Chrurch needs proof of these apparitions. For example, when Our Lady of Guadalupe appeared to Juan Diego, she healed his...father? I think. Anyways, the Church went and researched this and found his sick father to be well. They found evidence that he had indeed been seriously ill in the past and was 100% healed from his ailments.

I'm personally sceptical of any claims like this. While they could be real for all I know, they're intrinsically unreliable, and distracting as well. And I mean, the only people who'll believe in these sightings either "experience" it themselves, or already believe in what the "experience" would have proven.

And Obsession over "sightings" (or any other contemporary "miraculous events") can distract us from our reliance upon scripture.

So, in short I remain agnostic over such happenings.[/b]

As am I. When our eyes are taken off of Christ and onto other beings, even heavenly, I think it can be very dangerous. And just out of curiosity, have any of these sightings happened to non-Catholics?

WOW Lion Angel, you asked a great question![/b]

They could, but most Protestansts would probably shrug it off or not believe. You never know.

But again, no one is required to believe them.

And it is my impression that these "visions" do distract people from scripture[/b]

No. Mary will always point us to her Son. if anything, she redirects us to Him.

I have no opinion on things like Our Lady of Guadalupe or Lourdes but I believe that God does work miracles through His departed Saints.

The Orthodox Church has miracles like this that happen all the time... bleeding and crying icons, Saints appearing to people in dreams, skulls of Saints on Mount Athos that reply "Indeed He is Risen!" when you say "Christ is Risen!" (I don't see how these can be demonic as no demon would joyfully proclaim the Risen Christ ;) ) etc.

The Orthodox Church is very different from the Catholic Church in that we do not go around loudly proclaiming "SAINT SUCH AND SUCH APPEARED TO ME IN A DREAM! COME ON PROTESTANTS AND SKEPTICS OF ALL TYPES! RIDICULE AND MOCK ME!"

Unlike ye loud-mouth Catholics, we don't like media attention :P

have any of these sightings happened to non-Catholics?[/b]

Miracles like these happen to Orthodox Christians (who are NOT Roman Catholic btw) frequently... we just don't publicize them ;)

As for the many Protestants who are openly hostile toward any belief that concerns the veneration of Mary.... I doubt it as they don't believe this stuff happens. Similar as I don't believe that the Bread and Wine become the true Body and Blood of Christ for those who don't believe them to.

Unlike ye loud-mouth Catholics, we don't like media attention[/b]

:(

Well, we are very careful about this type of stuff. This is why medjugorje isn't approved yet. Approved apparitions are what keep the faithful from declaring such things. Seek it out! Prove Jesus, Mary, and angel, a saint, etc appeared to you!

I'm skeptical of all of these things.

It doesn't matter whether jesus or mary was to appear It wouldn't change my opinion of it.

Equally I do not make a mockery of these things. As I do believe these things happen. but the ones that are true are the ones never heard IMHO

Unlike ye loud-mouth Catholics, we don't like media attention[/b]

ha ha its a good policy

Well, we are very careful about this type of stuff. This is why medjugorje isn't approved yet. Approved apparitions are what keep the faithful from declaring such things. Seek it out! Prove Jesus, Mary, and angel, a saint, etc appeared to you![/b]
There's also 4 times as many Catholics than Orthodox...[/b]
Well THAT was a bit stereotypical and rude, don't you think?[/b]

You all realize the little " :P " after my sentence means "I'm kidding around, don't take me seriously" right?

Don't take everything so personally. You guys are worse then the Protestants...well... not really :P (again... for those here with no sense of humor, which seems to be everyone here except Suitman, the " :P " means I'M JOKING).

And just out of curiosity, have any of these sightings happened to non-Catholics?[/b]

I just want to point this out. A little known fact that you guys are sure to tell me I made up. Mary appears to Muslisms as well.... Just thought I'd say that.

Also, I am thankful to the Marian visitions, wheither real or not, in a very speical way. My church is a La Sallette missionary church. That means that the only reason why it even exists is because Mary appeared at La Sallette and people took her message and started to spread it as a mission. I thought I should just mention that too. These appeartions cause a lot more then just media attention in our Church. It is one of the basises of my faith.

And just out of curiosity, have any of these sightings happened to non-Catholics?[/b]

Why yes, learn about the Catholic church approved apparition of Our Lady of Guadalupe at: http://www.michaeljournal.org/guadalupe.htm

Our Lady of Guadalupe appeared in Mexico as the pregnant Mother of God to Saint Juan Diego, a chicemeca Indian, on Dec. 9, 10 & 12, 1531. She left a miraculous Image of her appearance on his cactus fiber cloak or "tilma" which still exists today for all to see in the Basillica of Our Lady of Guadelupe in Mexico City.

Our Lady came to offer faith, hope and consolation to the oppressed natives of Mexico and to reconcile them with their Spanish rulers. She put an end to the bloody sacrifice of the Aztecs and converted 9 million natives in the next 9 years!

lol Blackswan 41.

what the spaniards did was kill them, most of them. either diseases or by just shooting them. converted why?

First of all they had too.

Second of all people didnt want to go to hell.

I believe these Mary sightings are the devil since Mary has been dead for a while now. btw soul sleep is proven biblically.

Please don't call my Mother a devil. <_<

And if it is a devil, it's an awfully stupid one. There are so many that have come to Christ through these apparitions. I am one of them :) The Blessed Virgin, at Fatima, spoke of wanting to keep so many souls from going to hell. She wanted the world to cease to cling to the peace of the world and cling to Her Son!

So, if it was a devil, it must've been a n00b.

Please don't call my Mother a devil. <_<

And if it is a devil, it's an awfully stupid one. There are so many that have come to Christ through these apparitions. I am one of them :) The Blessed Virgin, at Fatima, spoke of wanting to keep so many souls from going to hell. She wanted the world to cease to cling to the peace of the world and cling to Her Son!

So, if it was a devil, it must've been a n00b.[/b]

But what if some people are not believing in the right things? The devil would then want mary appearances to keep up the confusion.

And people say they see ghosts too....

LOL yeah. I get the feeling that, if it was the devil, he wouldn't be so keen to spread the love of Christ.[/b]

first day on the job, I guess :P I'm sure Satan was like *facepalm!*

And people say they see ghosts too....[/b]

Sure they do. Which is why the Church seeks proof