Sign in to follow this  
metroid_GCG

The Debates

do we need The Debates?  

1. 1. do we need The Debates?

Yes. Debates can be good things. However, I do believe that the way the debate rules are 'set up' on this site show insecurity on the part of staff. I can understand the position of not wanting to debate religions, especially one's own, but I think that if a religion cannot stand up to a little criticism here and there, it is not a religion worth much of anything. This goes for all personal opinions. So again, I really do think that keeping a section open for debates is a good idea.

^haha..

I think we need debates. I mean its a time to share and discuss your believeth, but I don't think we need them when its on something totally stupid, like such as the debate in the debate room about whether or not guys should shave their arm pits, no offense to the person the made that but I just see no point of debating that, thats completing on opion.

Guest Antinobody

Without open debate and discussion, thought and growth of knowledge and understanding stagnate. That's a long way of saying, yeah.

I think we do need the debates because we can have some really good discussions! Even though I don't post in there much I think some of the points people make are valuable and I think some of the points are worth listening to. I think some debates may be more interesting than others like discussing points in the Bible that relate to everyday life and today's law is more interesting than discussing whether Spongebob Squarepants is gay, but some people may want to discuss whether Spongebob Squarepants is gay, it isn't against the rules to do so! That is what the debates forum is there for! To have valuable discussions!

You learn many things through debating. I don't know about any of you, but through debating I learn facts amongst the many opinions.

I think debating is fine.. it's when it gets out of control that it is not necessary. That's how my board when down.. everyone started debating and every thread was turned into a debate lol. As long as people don't get out of hand, I think it's a good thing. :)

I believe we need the debates, it causes people to look into their opinions and really understand why they think things and have opinions. Nothing can be better for someone than to be in a debate, they learn that there is more than their side to an issue, they really learn why they believe what they do, and such.

I agree with Heretic in saying that debates on religions are valuable to an extent, it roots people into the religion further because they can get affirmed on what they believe, and see how others think about things. From there people are given an open invite to look into their opinions.

It can get charged, yea, I got to that point heh, but it stemmed from trying to make other people open their eyes. So when it comes to debates, I feel people should only do it when they can enter it with an open mind, other than that it's just as good as shouting at a wall.

We dont need debates. It causes too much stress and discomfort amongst the body of Christ. Here at CTF, we need to focus on HIM.

Originally posted by JesseB.@Mar 29 2005, 04:34 PM

We dont need debates. It causes too much stress and discomfort amongst the body of Christ. Here at CTF, we need to focus on HIM.

good poit

Originally posted by southerngrl4lyfe@Mar 29 2005, 06:28 PM

I like the debates because it causes me to do my own research and form my own opinions, not relying on what someone else thinks.

ditto

it means every1 just uses them and doesnt take them seriously

it means every1 just uses them and doesnt take them seriously

well, trues in some cases but not all of them, theres been alot of debates I have taken very seriuosly like, the one "jesus is my homeboy" or like now the modesty one...yes! finely another debate where we have something to actually debate aoubt.

I think debates can be a realy good thing sometimes just as they can be a bad thing sometimes.