Welcome to Christian Teen Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Is It Wrong For Christians To Wear Jewelry?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

Ruth92

Ruth92

Member - Wise One

• 640 posts
There's this girl I know, she says the Bible says it's wrong to wear jewelry.
Is there actually a scripture that says that?
If you know the answer please reply.
Thanks!
Adopted by BreKat</span>

Selah

Selah

Member - 1Ker

• 4,620 posts
There is no Bible verse that forbids wearing jewlery.

"Those who find themselves in hell will be chastised by the scourge of love. How cruel and bitter this torment of love will be! ... the sorrow which takes hold of the heart, which has sinned against love, is more piercing than any other pain." (St. Isaac the Syrian)

GOODNESS! WE'RE PLATONIC SOULMATES!

Awww, can I resist tagging you? Here. U haz tag noa.- TheBeckehMod

afroMan

afroMan

Accomplished Poster

• 423 posts

There is no Bible verse that forbids wearing jewlery.[/b]

Sorry but that's not true. 1 Timothy 2:9 and 1 Peter 3:3 seem to forbid this.

My personal take on it is that there isn't a problem wearing some jewellery, but that it can soon become excessive. Wearing a necklace and 1 earring in each ear is fine as far as I'm concerned, but it can easily go over the top. Some women wear a lot of jewellery, and I think that's more the focus of these verses.
"Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst" - 1 Timothy 1:15

Selah

Selah

Member - 1Ker

• 4,620 posts
Ah, yes...that was because that was the attire that the "good time girls" so to speak, of that time wore. It has nothing to do with putting your hair up or waering a necklace and everything to do with intent.

"Those who find themselves in hell will be chastised by the scourge of love. How cruel and bitter this torment of love will be! ... the sorrow which takes hold of the heart, which has sinned against love, is more piercing than any other pain." (St. Isaac the Syrian)

GOODNESS! WE'RE PLATONIC SOULMATES!

Awww, can I resist tagging you? Here. U haz tag noa.- TheBeckehMod

Setsuko Flin

Setsuko Flin

Member - 1Ker

• 2,164 posts
Jewelry is fine, but like afroMan said, only a little bit. ;)
<div align='center'>Posted Image</div>
<div align='center'>Posted Image

If a baby is not safe in his or her mother’s womb, no place is safe anymore.
Can you imagine the terror that those innocent little babies endure as the cold steel instruments pierce their tiny bodies?
Pray for the end of Abortion. </div>

shiv

shiv

Member - 1Ker

• 1,000 posts
I agree it depends on intent. If you just like to wear jewelry who cares? Like oh this would be cool, I want to wear this! But if you obsess over it, it's not good.
2nd Corinthians 4:8-9
"but not destroyed[/b]."
Step out onto the water... Stop staring at the waves.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Make an effort to change your ways; Or your ways will change you

JAG

JAG

Member - 10Ker

• 12,044 posts
We aren't Jewish.

And I mean more than one thing by that...
"To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you."
- C.S. Lewis -

JoshuaPopper

JoshuaPopper

Member - 1Ker

• 2,585 posts
Wow. Very racist of you JAG.

I don't think it's wrong to express yourself through jewelry. From the very little amount to the very great amount. If that's your identity then that's fine. There's nothing in the Bible that makes me think you're wrong in doing so.

I think that there comes a moral dilemma when you purchase conflict diamonds or when you waste money that could be used to better the lives of others in order to wear expensive jewelry. However, those are also moral dilemma's about cars, houses, foods, wines, clothes, jobs, et al.

Josh.
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Max Power @ Jan 19 2010, 03:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

IHOP has a university? That means the following conversation might one day happen!

Joe: Hey Bob, what was your major in college?
Bob: Waffles.

truetochrist91

truetochrist91

Member - 1Ker

• 1,807 posts
Again, a little for the right reasons is ok.

I wear a cross necklace, that i may have it there in times of trouble.
I have a WWJD band and a watch on my wrist, thats it.
<div align='center'>4You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world. 1 John ch 4 vs 4</div>
<div align='center'>Posted Image</div>

FaithHopeLove

FaithHopeLove

Getting The Hang Of Things

• 89 posts
I generally wear a necklace with three charms (and 'E', a crucifix and a locket), a chain bracelet with my initials, a ring and a watch. Never changes. All the things mean something to me (except the watch, which is functional). So I think that's fine.
As long as it's not over the top and all.
<span style="font-family:Century Gothic"><div align='center'>"For I know the plans I have for you" declares the Lord.
"They are plans for good and not disaster, to give you a hope and a future."
- Jeremiah 29:11

CTF adopted by slycooper.</div></span>

katiecox

katiecox

Getting The Hang Of Things

• 91 posts
The bible verses say:

1 Timothy 2: 9-10
I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God.

and....

1 Peter 3:3 -4
Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.

looking at the verses in context, the point being made isn't that we shouldn't wear jewlery.... just that beauty shouldn't come from outward things. Man looks at the outward appearance but the Lord looks at the heart. I think thats true though...... I know people whom I think of as beautiful, because of their actions and attitudes..... nothing to do with their looks. (-:

rugger

rugger

Accomplished Poster

• 439 posts
I agree with afroman.
When it becomes an obsession then you know that something's wrong.
Like when you start to praise yourself because of your jewellery or whatever.

But aside from that I dont see a problem.
:) :)

despina

despina

• Pip
  • 6 posts

yeah, i dont think its wrong as long as we put it on in moderation, as well as everything we do in life.

but um another question...

do you think its wrong for women to wear pants?

at my church its a really bit issue, women wearing pants and jewellry.

i usually wear 2 rings that my parents baught me, my gold heart necklace that my grandma gave me and a watch.

and i dont have my ears peirced, do you think its wrong to have earings?

when i was little i always wanted earings but i was never allowed, and my dad uster say that if God wanted you to wear earings then he would have made you with holes in your ears.

but is all this wrong? i dont really see where it says in the bible, and i dont see why my church has a big issue about it.

<div align='center'></div>here I am I stand at the door and knock, if anyone hears My voice and opens up the door, I will come in and eat with him, and him with Me
~revelation 3:20

i can do all things through CHRIST who strengthens me
~philippians 4:13

swampfox

swampfox

Member - 5Ker

• 6,502 posts
believe it or not some of us are jewish (crazyrita, and i to name a few). i am somewhat jewish, and use to be really into it. i still go to synagogue with dad, but i believe in Christ. anyway, the point is this: wear jewlery but dont be preppy or show off. there.
Jesusfreak91 and I are CTF's resident Civil War Reenactor Freaks. I have many interests. Help poor people on Facebook by looking up free clicks for charity groups. Yeah thats it. Oh yeah, Phillipians 4:6.

acheerchic

acheerchic

• Pip
  • 5 posts
There is nothing wrong with wearing a little bit of jewelry. A neclace and earings are fine. Just as long as it's not an obsession. Hope I helped.

acheerchic

Ruth92

Ruth92

Member - Wise One

• 640 posts

yeah, i dont think its wrong as long as we put it on in moderation, as well as everything we do in life.

but um another question...

do you think its wrong for women to wear pants?

at my church its a really bit issue, women wearing pants and jewellry.

i usually wear 2 rings that my parents baught me, my gold heart necklace that my grandma gave me and a watch.

and i dont have my ears peirced, do you think its wrong to have earings?

when i was little i always wanted earings but i was never allowed, and my dad uster say that if God wanted you to wear earings then he would have made you with holes in your ears.

but is all this wrong? i dont really see where it says in the bible, and i dont see why my church has a big issue about it.[/b]

No, I don't think it's wrong for women to wear pants and my church has nothing against jewelry.
When I heard there was a verse in the Bible that said not to wear jewelry, I couldn't believe it.
Thanks everyone!
Adopted by BreKat</span>

Midgey742

Midgey742

Member - 1Ker

• 3,659 posts
I don't see a problem with jewelry. I wear my class ring all of the time. And sometimes I will put on a necklace to help a outfit out, but if you start obsessing over jewelry and everything then that would be a problem. I also have my ear's pierced, in which i don't see wrong in that. I know that some do, but I don't, as long as it does not get out of control. I know people who pierce things just because and have so many holes, then I would say that would not be a good thing.
http://kimmie742.livejournal.com/

Boogles and Captain Jack Sparrow are my parents!
Proud CTF mom of Tanya (Sunflower) and Mandy (kiwibutterfly) and Hannah (BeautifulOne)!

Fourpaws

Fourpaws

Member - Wise One

• 751 posts

The bible verses say:

1 Timothy 2: 9-10
I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God.

and....

1 Peter 3:3 -4
Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.

looking at the verses in context, the point being made isn't that we shouldn't wear jewlery.... just that beauty shouldn't come from outward things. Man looks at the outward appearance but the Lord looks at the heart. I think thats true though...... I know people whom I think of as beautiful, because of their actions and attitudes..... nothing to do with their looks. (-:[/b]

Good post :)

Posted Image

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PietroChocko)</div>

oh my gosh POLAH IYZE CAPZ MELTIN TOMOZ WE'Z ALL DED

Every1rox

Every1rox

Experienced Fellow

• 165 posts

There's this girl I know, she says the Bible says it's wrong to wear jewelry.
Is there actually a scripture that says that?
If you know the answer please reply.
Thanks![/b]

Its just depends wherre I think. like if you get your eye lid pearced or your cheek pearced then its wrong, but if you just where earings and necleces and braclets then your fine!
Posted Image
God Will show me The Right Guy when when the right Guy comes!P.s. that guy is Jesus!

LemonShower

LemonShower

Member - 5Ker

• 5,905 posts

Its just depends wherre I think. like if you get your eye lid pearced or your cheek pearced then its wrong, but if you just where earings and necleces and braclets then your fine![/b]

What makes places on the body other than ears wrong to pierce?
<div align='center'>Posted Image

Posted Image

CTF's resident neuroscience undergraduate ^_^</div>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users