Sign in to follow this  
Cato

Black History Month

I just watched a clip on morgan freeman talking about black history month. I gotta say, I legitimately agree with the man.

Do you agree or disagree with the existance of black history month?

I personally believe we should get rid of it. For one, it kind of implys that for the other 11 months, black history doesn't even need to be considered.

Another thing, is that I consider black history to be part of american history. Why have them separated?

^agreed

A lot of people also don't like it cuz there's no "white history month" XD but I'm not the fairness doctrine type.

the purpose of BHM is to recognize the triumps of black people. the purpose is not at all to insult them.

if black people are "offended by it, thats there problem. as long as people mean well by BHM, then black people should not get offended.

Meaning well does not excuse someone from being offensive.

It's like opening doors for people in wheelchairs; when I'm confined to one, I want to open my own doors, and take offense to other people acting as though I can't.

I just watched a clip on morgan freeman talking about black history month. I gotta say, I legitimately agree with the man.[/b]

AFA you would agree with whatever Morgan Freeman said about almost anything ;)

Honestly, I understand the point of black history month, but I don't think it does much good for anything. The only people who really pay attention to it are kids who are in school, and once you get past like 6th grade, teachers stop caring about it because they have an actualy carriculum to get through. Once you're in high school, you can't even remember what month it is anymore (Honestly, is it Feburary? I feel like it might be, but I don't know). And black history is just like women's rights or war history or any other kind of history out there. We shouldn't have a whole month devoted to it. Sure, have classes devoted to it and things like that, but I don't see why we have to take an entire month out of the year just to hear about the famous black people of the past that we've heard about since we were like 5.

Well I agree, but I agree for other reasons. One it just seems to segregate black people from the rest of history, obviously we've established it should be considered regularly. Another thing here is, would I be considered racist or anyone else for creating "white history month" in honor of all the whites that have ever done anything noteworthy?

I would think it lame to make a month based around whites who have accomplished great feats. But i've always felt "left out" if that makes sense when it comes to BHM. In this month do they even look at the whites that helped them (I hate saying 'them' as it should be we) It's improbable to say that there wasn't a single white person that helped any black people.

Just some thoughts :) I agree with the first post.

the purpose of BHM is to recognize the triumps of black people. the purpose is not at all to insult them.

if black people are "offended by it, thats there problem. as long as people mean well by BHM, then black people should not get offended.[/b]

I don't see how any of this is an address to any posts in this topic?

The triumphs of black people are part of american history, not just black history. Blacks are americans. They are part of american history. There is no reason why we should separate them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO214IFRW1M

I don't see how any of this is an address to any posts in this topic?

The triumphs of black people are part of american history, not just black history. Blacks are americans. They are part of american history. There is no reason why we should separate them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO214IFRW1M[/b]

if i made march "afriendlyatheist's" month and i meant good by it, why would you be offended? (assuming you would be) if you took offense by it, not my problem. its your own fault that you cant recognize that i was trying to be nice.

suppose that im black.

i could get offended by you guys trying to get rid of BHM

Do you guys mean well? yes (i hope). so would it make sense for me to be offended? no

The triumphs of black people are part of american history, not just black history. Blacks are americans. They are part of american history. There is no reason why we should separate them.[/b]

we are not seperating them. do you really think we would be taught even half as much about black history if there was no BHM, compared to now.

unless you are black then you really have nothing any say about BHM, its not your concern. unless its just for opinion sake. which come to think of it, it all is lol

if i made march "afriendlyatheist's" month and i meant good by it, why would you be offended? (assuming you would be) if you took offense by it, not my problem. its your own fault that you cant recognize that i was trying to be nice.

suppose that im black.

i could get offended by you guys trying to get rid of BHM

Do you guys mean well? yes (i hope). so would it make sense for me to be offended? no[/b]

When, in this entire topic, at all, was it mentioned that this has ANYTHING to do with "offending" or "not offending" people?

You're arguing against imaginary people, apparently.

there should be a black history month. its a good thing, but hopefully we can get rid of it one day so we won't have to limit subsections of history to any race, but have a general acceptance of all peoples in history.

When, in this entire topic, at all, was it mentioned that this has ANYTHING to do with "offending" or "not offending" people?

You're arguing against imaginary people, apparently.[/b]

i dont have to be "argueing against someone" to make a point.

why else would we want to remove it?

If you take a look at American/Canadian history books there is very little mention of what blacks have done through out the course of history.

I am black and even though black history month is not bad. I do find it unnecessary. I have experienced black history month through twelve years of school. Famous black singers and rappers go on PSA's and talk about how black people played a huge part in history. March 1 comes along and you hear nothing until next Feb. rolls around and the cycle begins again. If someone really wants to learn about black history they have to research for themselves because the only purpose [insert cultural group here] days/weeks/months is to prevent the government from being sued for not having a [insert cultural group here] day/week/month.

I completely agree with Mr. Freeman. There is no point to only having one month to teach a specific history, especially when you only do as such for a specific race. As Morgan Freeman said, Black History is American History.

yes I agree with what he said aswell

... though I had to listen to him say it twice ... his voice mesmorizes me lol

Morgan Freeman FTW!

I can see a valid use for BHM as the thin edge of the wedge of inclusion. That is, since blacks had been excluded from American history for so long, there was a need to highlight and emphasize their part in history as a kind of remedial education. For one thing, it spurred historians and educators to actually go and look at history, and pay attention to the achievements of black people so that a curriculum could be built. Now that this work has been done, the achievements and contributions of black people to history ought to be integrated into the historical narrative rather than fenced into the ghetto of a certain month.

While I think BHM was necessary and valuable as a temporary measure to lead the social consciousness from the assumption that only white men really mattered (basically, the pre-Civil Rights Movement view) to the recognition, even the self-evidence, of the humanity and equality of black people, I think it is counter-productive as a permanent institution. The very idea that there's such a thing as "Black History," like the Nazi rejection of quantum mechanics as "Jewish physics"<sup>1</sup> assumes that ethnicity is somehow primary and irreducible. That is, "Black" comes before "history" and "Jewish" before "physics." As if ethnicity were a filter through which we have to view historical events and the workings of physical reality. If that were the case, we would not truly be able to coexist, since each race would inhabit its own version of the Cosmos, with its own history that necessarily excluded people of other races (except, perhaps, as villains). Then we would not be able to have a shared historical narrative based on our common humanity--which is what "history" should be.

NOTES:

1. Since many of the pioneers of nuclear physics were Jewish, the Nazis rejected the discipline as tainted. This was quite fortunate for the world, since those pioneers--Einstein, Oppenheimer, Slizard, etc. ended up defecting to the Allies instead of building a nuclear weapon for Germany.

I disagreed with what Morgan Freeman said at the end: That to get rid of racism, we must stop talking about it, that we wouldn't say that Morgan is a black man and Mike is a white man. There are black people, and there are white people. What needs to happen is that we think "Joey over there is black" in exactly the same way as we think, "Joey over there is blond". Not that we pretend it doesn't exist

I remember when I was at some sort of social meal with about 40 (Christian) people. Someone asked who Jake was, and one person tried to point him out by saying, "The guy lifting his glass now". Another person said, "The man next to the girl in the blue jacket". My Dad said, "The black man over there".

There was only one black man in the room, but everyone was too scared to actually acknowledge that. We need to just talk about it as if it's nothing, which it is, as opposed to pretending we're colourblind

There are black people, and there are white people. What needs to happen is that we think "Joey over there is black" in exactly the same way as we think, "Joey over there is blond"[/b]

I think that's pretty much exactly what Freeman meant.

He didn't mean stop looking at the fact of the matter altogether, he meant stop looking at it as a divisive quality.

Or, to put it in different words:

"Morgan Freeman is a man, who is black. He is not a 'black man'."

"Joey over there is a man, who is blonde. He is not a 'blonde man'."

If that makes sense?

Well if we keep BHM I want to have a Mexican History Month, we get Cinco De Mayo, one day. What about the 16 of September. Oh, and we barely get mentioned at all in the history books. BTW: I'm kidding

I had a disscussion with my old roomates from college, yeah he was black

He liked that there was a BHM because of the fact that for that one month people actually seem to take interest in his culture, and the history of his ancestors, however he feels like it is seperating them once again, and he wishes people would take interest in his culture, and other cultures not because it was the time of the year, but out of genuine interest.

Personally it could stay it could not it makes no difference to me. It is true that Black History is just as much a part of American History, and we shouldn't try to seperate them.

Yeah I follow that line of thought AFA, if that's what Mr. Freeman meant

What about Asian history month? And Native American history month? Oh, and don't forget Alaskan/Pacific Islander history month.

I demand an Irish history month because of my hardworking, oppressed Irish descendants.

Get real. <_<

I demand an Irish history month because of my hardworking, oppressed Irish descendants.

Get real. <_<[/b]

Hey, you Irish like us Mexicans get one day, we have May 5th you guys get St. Patrick's Day.

On a totally unrelated note, Get Real, is the name of our youth service.