Sign in to follow this  
Insurgent89

Why Do You Believe

For starters Iam not attacking any faith, nor is it a trick question just curious.

A couple of months ago I left religion. I used to be a Christian and even contiplated on being a catholic priest. However upon further pondering faith religion God and everyhting else I came to the conclusion I don't need God to be good, nor do I need him to have a happy life, I actually found myself more happy and more confident with no religion. But thats just me. This self answer came upon me while I was in Africa, and ever since then when I ask why do you beleive I was suprised at the answers some people gave me. Some said they are afraid of going to "Hell", others that they really have faith in what they believe, they are afraid what their family will think of them if they disobey the families religion, or because faith had really helped them in time of need. However majority of them fear of not entering heaven. So the question is why do you believe? Are you really grateful for God? Are you doing it for a reward? Because your family says so?

I really haven't thought of it that way before. At first it was because its what my parents believed in and I always thought of it as the "Right Thing to do". but now that reason has changed because of what God has done in my life. The reason why I believe and follow God it because I have felt very powerful experiences when praying, in times of need and in worship. God has shown himself to me in a very strong and positive manner. I have no doubt in my mind that God exists and because he loves me so much, guides me and watches over me, I follow Him. Two and a half years ago, I had a very horrific accident. I got hit off my bike by a car. My body was broken. The paramedics were surprised I was alive. I have no doubt in my mind it was God that kept me alive that day.

*Just for the record, I have fully recovered*

Why do I believe? Well, as I see it, belief is not a choice. I don't choose to believe that God is real any more than I choose to believe that the sky is blue. If you are asking why I act on my belief, why I worship God and live with Him rather than going my own way, well, I am truly grateful to Him.

Look at the world around you. God made it. Wait, first, look at yourself. Look at your hair, your skin, your eyes, your nose, your mouth. All this designed for YOU. Yep, designed. God DESIGNED every part of you, from the hair on your head to the nails on your toes. The way that the cells in your body work, God designed that. He did not just utilise the cells and control them to make you - He DESIGNED the cells, to work FOR you. Before God created, there was nothing. And then God did create, and there was everything. Take a deep breath. That air you are breathing, that mixture of gases, God made it so it would work with your body and keep you alive. God made you to need oxygen, and He gave you the oxygen you need. Look outside. If you see plants, well, God designed them too. The birds in the sky, the animals on the ground, the fish in the water - God designed and made them too. And He gave it ALL to US.

For me, that would be enough to praise Him forever more. But thats not it. We took all this from God without even a thank you! We decided that we knew better than the one who designed the inner workings of the universe, and went our own way. And we messed up, because we didn't know best. But we stumbled on, leaving a trail of destruction behind us. We didn't respect our gift, we didn't respect the Giver. But God gave us another chance. When we had sold our souls to death, He bargained for us - and gave His only Son in our place. He cleaned up our mess and let us start anew. But still we are not thankful. We say we don't need His help, we say we can do it our own way, and we go about creating our own mess. But He STILL doesn't give up. He doesn't take the gift away from us, He allows us to keep it, even though we try our best to ruin it. And every time someone says sorry, He forgives them. He doesn't say 'Too late!', He doesn't make us live out a punishment - He welcomes us with open arms, and gives us the ability to enjoy his wonderful gift to us.

To me, its simply amazing how much God has done for us. I love Him for this and this is why I follow Him. I do not follow Him out of fear, but out of love. I do not follow Him for a reward, but because just to be able to follow Him IS a reward in itself.

I logically came to the conclusion that God exsisted. Through the grace of God He gave me the gift of Faith. But that is not enough! It wasn't untill I fell in love with Christ that He became more than just an idea.

i believe because when i wasn't Christian my life was pointless, and now all that's changed! :D

and i agree with Hessmix, personal experience has played a big part, but my faith was pretty strong before i had my experience, i think.

basically, now i have something to live (and die) for. and EmmaN's last two lines mean a lot too, i wish i could come up with things like that :P

I logically came to the conclusion that God existed. Through the grace of God He gave me the gift of Faith. But that is not enough! It wasn't untill I fell in love with Christ that He became more than just an idea.[/b]

pretty much my story as well. Still working on the falling in love part though.

edit: on second thought... I have a hard time believing anything without concrete proof. I guess I'd say that I trust that what my rational mind says is true, is actually true. Or is that the same thing as believing? I don't know. Some of what I know to be true, I believe. (thanks to the gift of faith) other parts I simply trust to be Truth.

I'm a Christian because I'm a Westerner, it makes sense to be "Christian" living in this culture and society, it offers a great social network and meaningful ritual experiences.

Josh

i believe becuase i was raised that there is a god

For starters Iam not attacking any faith, nor is it a trick question just curious.

A couple of months ago I left religion. I used to be a Christian and even contiplated on being a catholic priest. However upon further pondering faith religion God and everyhting else I came to the conclusion I don't need God to be good, nor do I need him to have a happy life, I actually found myself more happy and more confident with no religion. But thats just me. This self answer came upon me while I was in Africa, and ever since then when I ask why do you beleive I was suprised at the answers some people gave me. Some said they are afraid of going to "Hell", others that they really have faith in what they believe, they are afraid what their family will think of them if they disobey the families religion, or because faith had really helped them in time of need. However majority of them fear of not entering heaven. So the question is why do you believe? Are you really grateful for God? Are you doing it for a reward? Because your family says so?[/b]

When I was younger, I believed because I was raised in the church, and that was all I knew. When I was about 13, I started to fall away from God, and go down the wrong path. I got into a lot of things that I shouldn't have, and my life was full of sin. Me and God were the only ones that knew about this, because my dad was a pastor by then, and I didn't want everyone in the church to gossip about me not following God. All of these sins that I was doing, I knew that they were wrong, but I didn't really care. About 5 months ago, I realized everything that I had been doing was wrong, and I decided right then that I needed to change that about my life. I prayed that God would forgive me of all the sins that I had been doing, and that I wanted to start over with Him on the right path. Since then, I have cleaned up my life a lot, I am still trying to stop some of the sins (I occasionally fall to the temptation, but I really do not want to do these sins, so I am trying my hardest to conquer them, and I am always praying that God would help me get through this). Now, I believe because it is what I feel is the truth. It is really hard to explain, other than I just truly believe.

Only Christians are allowed to post in this section.

Oh, and to answer your question, I believe in God I know that He exists.