Sign in to follow this  
Paperbagfaze

'You're Welcome'

You're Welcome  

1. 1. You're Welcome

(I skimmed through Ctf for a topic on this, but couldn't find one, so...)

We had a girl come from Switzerland to stay with my family for 3 months, so she could work on her English. While she was here she remarked on how none of us said 'You're welcome' after she or someone else said 'thank you', whereas she said it every single time. It set me wondering if everyone says 'You're welcome'...or if their like me and just say, 'No problem' or 'Yeah'. *shrugs*

Great...the poll isn't working..O_o *sigh* I knew this would happen...help? xD

Guest FirefromtheEast

I usually say "sure", or "welcome".

I hardly ever say it. It feels unnatural for me. I don't know why. I usually say 'Yup.', 'Sure thing!' or 'No problem.' with a smile.

(I can help you fix your poll. Just PM me. It looks like it just didn't save anything, so I would attempt to edit it and put it back in there. Let me know if that works.)

For me it's usually "yeah" or "no problem." I don't really even really think about it. I say you're welcome if I'm trying to be very direct with someone, but I'm a "sure, yeah, whatever" kind of person so it kinda goes against my grain.

I always say it. Though normally people thank me in french, then I say "ca fait plaisir" (its my pleasure)...

yeah.. lolz

I almost always say it. Either that or "it's no problem, I am happy to do it" or something to that effect. I am trying to teach my kids manners so it is important to do as you teach. :) It is one of my pet peeves when I say "thank you" to someone and they do not say anything in return.

"You're welcome," seems awkward to me. I don't know why. I'm just an overall very awkward person. So I usually go "Yup," or "Mhmm.." "or "No problem," or something along those lines.

I say you're welcome always. Seems impolite and rude not too. Saying "yeah" or "mmhmmm" makes me feel rude for some reason.

I occasionally say no problem though.

Sometimes. I usually just say "yup" or something along those lines. The message is... 'who do you think I am? It's not a favor... it's a duty.' That's just who I am. *shrugs*

"You're welcome," seems awkward to me. I don't know why. I'm just an overall very awkward person. So I usually go "Yup," or "Mhmm.." "or "No problem," or something along those lines.[/b]

Same here. Except it's almost always "Mhmm" with a big smile on my face...I prefer the Spanish (de nada---basically, no problem) because it really is no problem...If I did something for you I didn't do it to be thanked, I did it just because I wanted to be helpful or whatever...idk...

I say you're welcome always. Seems impolite and rude not too. Saying "yeah" or "mmhmmm" makes me feel rude for some reason.[/b]

Ugh...does that mean I'm rude? Because now I feel rude...Woe is me!

Same here. Except it's almost always "Mhmm" with a big smile on my face...I prefer the Spanish (de nada---basically, no problem) because it really is no problem...If I did something for you I didn't do it to be thanked, I did it just because I wanted to be helpful or whatever...idk...

Ugh...does that mean I'm rude? Because now I feel rude...Woe is me![/b]

Heheh. Not condemning people who say mmhmmm or yeah. I just can't say it and feel right. Don't mind if people say it to me.

When I worked at a restaurant once, I had to always reply with "My pleasure."

I hated life.

Heheh. Not condemning people who say mmhmmm or yeah. I just can't say it and feel right. Don't mind if people say it to me.[/b]

*breathes a huge sigh of relief* Phew! Thanks for clearing that up :wink2: I had begun to question my manners!

Guest punkkish_texan

Work makes me say "My Pleasure" as well, so sometimes that gets put into the mix. But I usually say "You're Welcome" - no offense to anyone, but saying "No Problem" makes me think... "Would it have been a problem otherwise??" =) That's just me though.

^^ Hahah

I'm pretty sure Louisiana is like the strictest state as far as manners go, lol. So its regulation :P. I do say you're welcome, but I usually say no problem or a variant of that.