Welcome back to the Christian Teen Forums. We have been upgrading our forum software and it took a lot longer than originally anticipated. Thank you for your patience.

We are still working to bring some add-on features back, so it will be a continued work-in-progress. If you have any questions, feel free to post and ask away. 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JesusRocks4Me

Bible Translation Guide

41 posts in this topic

Word-for-word translations: King James Version (KJV), New King James Version (NKJV), Revised Standard Version (RSV), New Revised Standard Version (NRSV), New American Standard Bible (NASB), Amplified Bible (AMP), New Jerusalem Bible (NJB), New American Bible (NAB), English Standard Version (ESV)

Thought-for-thought translations: Good News Translation (GNT), New Century Version (NCV), Contemporary English Version (CEV), New International Reader's Version (NIrV), New Living Translation (NLT)

Paraphrases: The Message, Phillip's Translation

King James Version

Translation Method & Reading Level: word-for-word, 12th grade

Year: 1611, current edition 1769

Translators: 54 translators

Sponsor: Six panels of translators appointed by King James I of England

Textual Basis: Bishop's Bible (1568) and Tyndale's Bible (1535), OT: Masoretic text, NT: Textus Receptus

Purpose: In response to Protestant concerns of inaccuracies in earlier English versions (Tyndale, Geneva, Bishops)

Notable Facts: The most widely printed and distributed version of the Bible till the NIV. Used for devotional reading and Bible study by adults who prefer the English found in older versions.

Matthew 4:19 and John 3:16-17

And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men - Matthew 4:19

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. - John 3:16-17

I WILL DO THIS WITH THE FOLLOWING VERSIONS/PARAPHRASES: KJV, ASV, RSV, AMP, NJB, NAB, NASB, NIV, NKJV, NCV, NRSV, CEV, GW, NIrV, NLT, ESV, The Message, HCSB, and the TNIV.

American Standard Version

Translation Method & Reading Level: Word-for-word, unstated reading level

Year: 1901

Translators: 30 American scholars who were part of the English Revised Version project in 1885.

Sponsor: British scholars from a variety of denominations

Textual Basis: Derived from the ERV and KJV, OT: Masoretic text and Septuagint/NT: Wescott-Hort Greek New Testament

Purpose: To address approximately 300 suggestions from American translators to change the English Revised Version to acceptable American word use.

Notable Facts: ASV has earned the reputation of being very true to the Greek and Hebrew texts. Very formal. Used for serious Bible study.

Matthew 4:19 and John 3:16-17

And he saith unto them, Come ye after me, and I will make you fishers of men - Matthew 4:19

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth on him should not perish, but have eternal life.

For God sent not the Son into the world to judge the world; but that the world should be saved through him - John 3:16-17

Revised Standard Version

Translation Method & Reading Level: Word-for-word, 10th grade reading level

Year: 1952

Translators: 32 translators

Sponsor: International Council of Religious Education

Textual Basis: Based on the ASV. OT: Masoretic text, Dead Sea scrolls, Septuagint/NT: Nestle-Aland text

Purpose: To preserve the best of the English Bible versions that preceded it.

Notable Facts: Because the translation changed words such as "virgin" to "young woman", this version was criticized by conservatives.

Matthew 4:19

And he said to them, "Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men."

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have everlasting life. For God sent the Son into the world, not to condemn the world, but that the world might be saved through him.

Amplified Bible

Translation Method & Reading Level: Word-for-word, 11th grade reading level

Year: 1965

Translators: 13 translators

Sponsor: The Lockman Foundation/Zondervan

Textual Basis: Derived from the ASV. OT: Biblia Hebraica, Dead Sea Scrolls, Septuagint. NT: Wescott-Hort Greek NT, Novum Testamentum Graece (26th ed.)

Purpose: To allow the reader to better understand the meaning of words as they were used in their original context.

Notable Facts: Unique system of punctuation, typefaces, and synonyms to more fully explain words. Used for devotional study.

Matthew 4:19

And He said to them, Come after Me [as disciples--letting Me be your Guide], follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men!

John 3:16-17

For God so greatly loved and dearly prized the world that He [even] gave up His only begotten (unique) Son, so that whoever believes in (trusts in, clings to, relies on) Him shall not perish (come to destruction, be lost) but have eternal (everlasting) life.

New Jerusalem Bible

Translation Method & Reading Level: Word-for-word, 9th grade reading level

Year: 1966, updated in 1985

Translators: 36 translators

Sponsor: Roman Catholic Church

Textual Basis: Based upon a 1961 French translation called "La Bible de Jerusalem". OT: Masoretic text, Septuagint. NT: Eclectic Greek texts

Purpose: A response to Pope Pius XII's request for a more clear, skilled translation by Dominicans and others at Ecole Biblique in Jerusalem.

Notable Facts: J. R. R. Tolkien, author of LORD OF THE RINGS, was one of the contributing translators. Includes the Apocrypha/deuterocanonicals. Typically used by adult Roman Catholics for serious Bible study.

heyyy....where does the New International Version (NIV) come into this, or is it the same as the New International Reader's Version (NIrV)???[/b]

I'm working on it. :) But the NIV will get in here, along with the ESV, NLT, etc.

heyyy....where does the New International Version (NIV) come into this, or is it the same as the New International Reader's Version (NIrV)???[/b]

If you have a choice between the two, use the NIV, not the NIrV.

KJV OnLy is what I strongly reccommend to anyone of any age. Its not just a 12th grade level or above or else the kids in our pre school sunday school class would not understand and learn from it. Its not hard to understand if you take the time to try and understand it. But, im not going 2 ruin his thread. I just wanted to state my opinion. Dont bother responding to this post or quoting it trying to find out more. I am not going to post here again. If you wanna know more bout why i reccommend the KJV OnLy for any age or reading level PM me. ^_^

KJV OnLy is what I strongly reccommend to anyone of any age. Its not just a 12th grade level or above or else the kids in our pre school sunday school class would not understand and learn from it. Its not hard to understand if you take the time to try and understand it. But, im not going 2 ruin his thread. I just wanted to state my opinion. Dont bother responding to this post or quoting it trying to find out more. I am not going to post here again. If you wanna know more bout why i reccommend the KJV OnLy for any age or reading level PM me. ^_^[/b]

KJV1611

You will not understand the scriptures in the bible, unless you have the holy spirit who will guide you and teach you to understand that scriptures thats why if you want to read the bible, first pray to God to guide you and to understand the all scripture that you want to understand.

Every scriptures in the Bible have a lot meaning in our life, its differ in our interpretation in our life. like this i will give you an example verse.

Pro 10:27 The fear of the LORD prolongeth days: but the years of the wicked shall be shortened.

- Pls. give your interpretation of this verse.

- we will have different understanding about this verse.

If you have an idea or have opinion in this verse pls. post it..

thanks.

Many people just reading there Bible but they don't understand the meaning of what they read..

God bless!

Pray first before reading the BIBLE

What about the Portuguese versions? Tsk tsk. Silly yanks. smile.gif[/b]

Lol. its funny isnt it? I have to disagree with you Reina-Valera 1960 is by far more accurate :P.

KJV OnLy is what I strongly reccommend to anyone of any age. Its not just a 12th grade level or above or else the kids in our pre school sunday school class would not understand and learn from it. Its not hard to understand if you take the time to try and understand it. But, im not going 2 ruin his thread. I just wanted to state my opinion. Dont bother responding to this post or quoting it trying to find out more. I am not going to post here again. If you wanna know more bout why i reccommend the KJV OnLy for any age or reading level PM me. happy.gif[/b]

The KJV is based on the Textus Receptus (Received Text) A heavily catholic copy. The KJV has many errors and added verses to the Bible.

The most accurate one is NSAB.

I cant really be bothered arguing about which version is better, just a ask a Biblical scholar, I am sure they will tell you which is the most accurate.

Word-for-word translations: King James Version (KJV), New King James Version (NKJV), Revised Standard Version (RSV), New Revised Standard Version (NRSV), New American Standard Bible (NASB), Amplified Bible (AMP), New Jerusalem Bible (NJB), New American Bible (NAB), English Standard Version (ESV)

Thought-for-thought translations: Good News Translation (GNT), New Century Version (NCV), Contemporary English Version (CEV), New International Reader's Version (NIrV), New Living Translation (NLT)

Paraphrases: The Message, Phillip's Translation

i just want know what diffrant between all differnce bible

i know just one bible

The Old Testament was originally written in Hebrew and the New Testament in Greek. Most people can't read Greek. "Scholars" read the original Greek Bible and come up with an English equivalent.

The King James Version (KJV) is excellent. The New American Standard Version (NASV) is believed by many to be one of the most accurate translations and is an excellent study Bible.

thank you very much

for help :)

It's a topic interesting

I am the first time I know the difference between them now

Maybe soon I will read the Bible in a language English

I believe the word and Christ .will enjoy the word in more than one language

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God (john 1:1)

god bless you

brother in christ

Full name: New American Bible

Abbreviation: NAB

Complete Bible published: 1970

Textual basis: NT: Novum Testamentum Graece 25th edition.

OT: Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia with Septuagint and Dead Sea Scrolls influence.

Deuterocanonicals: Septuagint, Dead Sea Scrolls, and some Vulgate influence.

Translation type: Formal equivalence (Word-For-Word--from the Preface). Reading level: High School

The NAB may be seen as somewhat liberal.

----

Full name: New American Standard Bible

Abbreviation: NASB or NAS

NT published: 1963

OT published: 1971

Derived from: American Standard Version (ASV)

Textual basis: NT: Novum Testamentum Graece.

OT: Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia with Septuagint influence.

Translation type: Formal Equivalence

Reading level: High School

Version revised: 1995

Copyright status: © the Lockman Foundation, 1960, 1962, 1963, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1977, 1995

Online address: lockman.org

The NASB is generally regarded as the most accurate word-for-word translation--about 95% equivalence. This makes it a premier choice for bible study and comparison, however its readability suffers from such accuracy--the NASB generally sounds wooden or stilted at times.

----

Full name: New International Version

Abbreviation: NIV

NT published: 1973

OT published: 1978

Complete Bible published: 1978

Textual basis: NT: Nestle-Aland Greek New Testament.

OT: Biblia Hebraica Masoretic Hebrew Text, Dead Sea Scrolls, Samaritan Pentateuch, Aquila, Symmachus, Theodotion, Latin Vulgate, Syriac Peshitta, Aramaic Targums, for Psalms Juxta Hebraica of Jerome.

Translation type: Formal & Dynamic Equivalence

Reading level: 7.80

Publisher: Zondervan

Copyright status: Copyright 1973, 1978, 1984 International Bible Society

The NIV is regarded as an excellent devotional Bible and one also suited for exegetical work, when paired with other translations. It is going to be replaced with an all-new, gender-inclusive version in 2011. All production of previous editions will be halted and there will be no name change. The new NIV will simply be "NIV".

Full name: New King James Version

Abbreviation: NKJV

Complete Bible published: 1982

Derived from: King James Version

Textual basis: NT: Textus Receptus, similar to the Byzantine text-type.

OT: Masoretic Text with Septuagint influence

Translation type: Formal Equivalence

Copyright status: Copyright 1979, 1980, 1982 Thomas Nelson, Inc.

It's been said that the NKJV "gets rid of the best of the KJV and keeps the worst". While that may not be true, it is based on the same text as the KJV, it is word-for-word, it is updated, and it is somewhat wooden.

----

Full name: New Century Version

Other names: The Youth Bible; The Everyday Bible

Abbreviation: NCV

Complete Bible published: 1987

Textual basis: NT: United Bible Societies' Greek text, third edition.

OT: Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia, with Septuagint influence.

Translation type: Free translation

Reading level: Fifth grade

The NCV is strongly gender-neutral, as well as being a free translation, not word-for-word or thought-for-thought. Generally, only formally equivalent bibles are recommended for bible study, though the NCV may be good for devotional studies.

----

Full name: New Revised Standard Version

Abbreviation: NRSV

Complete Bible published: 1989

Textual basis: NT: Novum Testamentum Graece 27th edition.

OT: Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia with Dead Sea Scrolls and Septuagint influence.

Apocrypha: Septuagint with Vulgate influence.

Translation type: Formal equivalence, with minimal gender-neutral paraphrasing.

Reading level: High School

Copyright status: © 1989 by the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA

Religious affiliation: Ecumenical, but generally mainline Protestant

The NRSV is generally seen as a word-for-word translation, but somewhat liberal in its gender-inclusiveness.

----

Full name: Contemporary English Version

Other names: Bible for Today's Family

Abbreviation: CEV

NT published: 1991

OT published: 1995

Complete Bible published: 1995

Translation type: Dynamic equivalence

Copyright status: © American Bible Society 1991, 1992, 1995; Anglicizations © British and Foreign Bible Society 1996

The CEV is a thought-for-thought translation with some gender-neutral phrasing in regard to humanity, not the Godhead.

----

Full name: GOD'S WORD Translation

Abbreviation: GW

Complete Bible published: 1995

Textual basis: NT: Nestle-Aland Greek New Testament 27th edition.

OT: Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia.

Translation type: Closest Natural Equivalence

Publisher: Baker Publishing Group

Copyright status: Copyright 1995 by God's Word to the Nations

The GOD'S WORD Translation is a dynamic translation. Its philosophy preserves the complexity of each book of the bible as it was in the original languages. In general, I have found it to be highly accurate and highly readable. It is useful for bible study when paired with several other dissimilar translations.

So with the updated NIV, what does "gender inclusive" actually mean? Does it say humankind instead of mankind or something? :D

So with the updated NIV, what does "gender inclusive" actually mean? Does it say humankind instead of mankind or something? :D

"Gender-inclusive" means that where the original manuscripts say "man", or something specific to a gender, if it is thought that both genders are included, the wording is changed accordingly. It isn't something a translation should engage in, purely for textual accuracy and translational honesty.

"Gender-inclusive" means that where the original manuscripts say "man", or something specific to a gender, if it is thought that both genders are included, the wording is changed accordingly. It isn't something a translation should engage in, purely for textual accuracy and translational honesty.

Ahh, thanks.

The translation should go for accuracy above anything else.

I have a question about "gender inconclusiveness"; when do you know if the Bible is referring to a man only or humanity in general?

I have a question about "gender inconclusiveness"; when do you know if the Bible is referring to a man only or humanity in general?

I'll just throw out a guess that you'd have to look at the hebrew/greek, the context, and the original words used, and then the translators do whatever they plan to do with gender.

I'll just throw out a guess that you'd have to look at the hebrew/greek, the context, and the original words used, and then the translators do whatever they plan to do with gender.

Now that's just annoying.

I've been reading the NiV for most of my life. Might change to the ESV then. It's read in church anyway.

I wouldn't mind if you did the ESV. Is it coming? Or did I just miss it?