Sign in to follow this  
Ronald

Witnessing to parents

My dad is a very blue collar guy and my mom is too busy to get involved in church and all that. I have a very so to say "manly" relationship with my dad because hes just that kind of guy if you get what i mean :P

At this point I feel all I can do is pray for them, but when my dad asks me about God how do I let him understand what I believe without him thinking I'm crazy... lol. My mom use to be very involved in church and she still believes in God but it doesn't seem like she has anything to do with Christ at all. Although I do not judge she could be praying every night before sleep and just not telling anyone but I do doubt that.

Anyways, do any of you have any problems with parents or siblings not believing what you believe? Do they ever make you feel akward when talking about your beliefs to them?

Not really, at least, not anymore. My mom used to be a christian, but just sort of faltered away after she and my dad separated. My brothers and I were all taught the christian beliefs by my Dad, but of course, he wasn't around a lot when we were kids so we didn't really go to church or do any of the traditional things. So eventually we each just grew out of the practice. I was separated from my family to live with my dad because of something I did, and rediscovered Jesus and in a new, more intense way. I talk to them about the goodness of God when the opportunities come, because I don't want to be responsible for keeping the truth from them. I had been lied to about who Jesus was most of my life, and it took God's mercy for me to receive the truth and understand it. I always try to tell them about who Jesus truly is, but it's really up to God to decide whether or not he wants to save them. He gives mercy unto whomever he gives mercy, and I can't possibly comprehend why he does it that way, but I trust him because he saved me.

My parents are Atheists. I'm too scared to tell them my love for God.[/b]

Fear God, not man.

Eternally you have nothing to lose by telling them.

Eternally you have much to lose by not telling them.

My advice to you would be to start (if you haven't already) talking openly about the fact that you go to Church/Youth Group each week, this will get them used to the idea of Christ.

My advice to you would be to start (if you haven't already) talking openly about the fact that you go to Church/Youth Group each week, this will get them used to the idea of Christ.[/b]

Thats my main problem though, and probably his too. My dad gives me weird looks if I tell him about anything so it seems theres not much I can do so ive given up making an effort... Even though there wasn't much to begin with.

I kind of get where you're coming from. The majority of my family (immediate and extended) are Catholic, but I'm a protestant and though I occasionally discuss my relationship with God with my mother or sister, it's not something any of the others are really comfortable talking about.

I feel with you on this one. My dad grew Catholic (forcefully so) and my mother Anglican. I was only baptized when I was little because I was supposed to die. My parents never took me to church. I started going to church with some friends March of 2008. I now love Jesus! :D My Dad shares the knowledge he has learned over the years, but he and my mom aren't practicing Christians, and too my knowledge don't believe in God. I try to be open about my faith.