Sign in to follow this  
Tsadde

Is it wrong for I, as a christian, to cut my hair?

I am a pentecostal christian, and in the two churches I've congregated myself in (one of which I am still residing in, and hope to continue to stay for a long, long time) cutting your hair in sometimes forbidden. In my first church, which was very much dictated by man, instead of God, they said it was a sin to cut your hair in the slightest way. Even so, members always seem to go regardless!

In the one I'm in now, they say it's fine to trim and such, but not to chop off your hair or do anything drastic. I've been wanting to get bangs for two years- the pastor's wife once told me she doesnt approve of people doing so, but understands that some people have complexes about how they look, because some people in our church do have bangs.

I dont want to defy my pastor, but the Bible does not prohibit it. I also dont want to present myself in a way that doesnt please the Lord. What should I do?

If you want bangs because other people want you to have them than dont, if you just want them because you like them then go for it!

Your church might not want you to cut your hair because they think that you're only doing it because of pressure. Some people (i have before) mix up the reasons for decisions.

After reading your last thread... I was rather impressed that a pastor went as far to say that a Christian should not go to the theater.

However, this post makes it clear that the churches you have attended seem to be engulfed in legalism. -- That would be my guess at any rate -- I can't be certain as... I've never been to your church ;)

I would recommend asking your pastor where he finds this "rule" in the Bible (kindly). You may want to look for another church if your pastor does not preach the Bible.

You can't judge a church by what denomination it is anymore (in most cases). There are good churches and bad churches... it really just depends :P

I am a pentecostal christian, and in the two churches I've congregated myself in (one of which I am still residing in, and hope to continue to stay for a long, long time) cutting your hair in sometimes forbidden. In my first church, which was very much dictated by man, instead of God, they said it was a sin to cut your hair in the slightest way. Even so, members always seem to go regardless!

In the one I'm in now, they say it's fine to trim and such, but not to chop off your hair or do anything drastic. I've been wanting to get bangs for two years- the pastor's wife once told me she doesnt approve of people doing so, but understands that some people have complexes about how they look, because some people in our church do have bangs.

I dont want to defy my pastor, but the Bible does not prohibit it. I also dont want to present myself in a way that doesnt please the Lord. What should I do?[/b]

Are you in a backwoods Pentacostal church? lol! I haven't heard those things from a Pentacostal church in like forever. :P Most assuredly not all Pentacostal churches teach that.

However, this post makes it clear that the churches you have attended seem to be engulfed in legalism. -- That would be my guess at any rate -- I can't be certain as... I've never been to your church ;)[/b]

Yes and no. If you knew why they say no hair cuts you'd realize that it wasn't because they were being legalistic. It was only after they tried forcing their own personal convictions on the younger generation that what they started to teach was become more legalistic rather than personal devotion to God.

I think you may be attending a United Pentecostal church. They're the strict ones. There is one here with a dress code for their sanctuary, seriously.

If you want to do it go for it! It's your preference. I've heard so many different things about it. But I don't see it as a sin to cut it.

I think God intended for men to look like men and women to look like women. I think God intended for their to be clear distinctions between genders. I think women should have relatively long hair and men should have relatively short hair.

I don't think it's wrong for you to get bangs or to trim your hair. I just think you should keep it long enough to where people can easily recognize you are a girl.

If you guys didn't realize that the bible actually does talk about this then go read 1 Corinthians chapter 11

I go to a holiness pentecostal church that is genuine. It's sad to say that there are some pentecostal churches that have compromised too much with the world, and it is equally sad too say that there are some pentecostal churches that have fallen into legalism. I'm happy to say that we have a good balance at my church.

It's time for the entire body of Christ to get back to true holiness, which is devotion to Christ, purity of heart and life, separation from the world, and freedom from sin!!!! How wonderful true holiness is!!!!

Perfect holiness is being so in love with the Lord that you don't even desire to sin or to cause anyone else to sin and all you want to do is please the Lord and be in his will in every way.

http://michaelstestimony.googlepages.com/holiness

wowzers. I am pentecost as well. seems to me this church is run by man and not by God. I cut my hair, dye it purple, blue, red. anything. never heard of that b4.

somthing as not having bangs is ridiculous to me. if your unhappy, i would find a new church. no where in the bible says you cant cut your hair.

wowzers. I am pentecost as well. seems to me this church is run by man and not by God. I cut my hair, dye it purple, blue, red. anything. never heard of that b4.

somthing as not having bangs is ridiculous to me. if your unhappy, i would find a new church. no where in the bible says you cant cut your hair.[/b]

The church isn't necessarily run by man because they don't believe women should cut their hair, it's just that these type of churches do their best to live as close to the bible as possible and they get 1 Corinthians chapter 11 a little mixed up.

*to the original poster*

read this article - http://www.actseighteen.com/articles/uncuthair.htm

I think God intended for men to look like men and women to look like women. I think God intended for their to be clear distinctions between genders. I think women should have relatively long hair and men should have relatively short hair.

I don't think it's wrong for you to get bangs or to trim your hair. I just think you should keep it long enough to where people can easily recognize you are a girl.[/b]

actually, guys having short hair is a relatively new trend in western civilization. so thats just what you consider what a guy should look like. subsequently it's also what you think a woman should look like. there are more definable aspects of telling whether someone is a guy or girl then just by their hair. i have had long hair most of my life and i've been cutting it short lately, i like it better, it's not as hot (which is something to think about when your summer lasts from may till october) and it doesnt get in the way. now i agree that there are more flattering haircuts for girls that are short then just etting a fade or something like that. you can still have short hair and be feminine.

The bottom line is that God wants there to be a distinction between men and women. We are expected to be holy and modest outwardly in obedience to God. So I think it is OK to trim your hair or get bangs but not as short as a man's hair.

1 Corinthians 11:14-15 (NIV) Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him, 15 but that if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For long hair is given to her as a covering.

Well to me you're kinda asking two questions. So I'm going to break it up.

Is cutting your hair a sin according to the Bible? No. I have bangs myself actually. Anywho, it is not a sin however I do *agree* to an extent that if you are a girl, you should look like a girl and vice versa if you're a guy.

Should I cut my hair despite what my pastor says? Yes and no. Someone else brought up asking your pastor the reasons he or she has for banning cutting hair. If it seems like you're not going to get into loads of "trouble" for cutting your hair, then go for it.

Glow

I don't see anything wrong with cutting your hair. I get mine cut and colored every six weeks. Then again... I don't go to the same kind of church as you. But I still see nothing wrong with it.

I've heard about this stuff before and what i tell people is you go to church to worship God not to be judge rather you cut your hair or not or if you decide to wear jeans and a t-shirt insted of dressing up idc what anyone says God could care less about these things he wants more worshiping and less judging who are we to judge others so no it does not matter at all if u cut your hair and personally if the church dont like it i'd find a new one if i were u :) God bless hope this helped :cowboy:

I used to have the same questions so I looked at the verses and did some research on it and no it is not a sin, the bible is just advising against not cutting your hair because of the type of message that might send to society. Kinda like wearing short or tight clothing, it's advised to not wear that type of clothing because it might give the message that you are of the world even though that might not be true that's the type of message it sends. But all in all, it's not a sin. Sometimes certain pastors just see it all as sin and don't actually research and depict the verses so just ask where in the bible it says it and what exactly it means.

Edited by Deniseolv