Sign in to follow this  
Syphon

Guns and Knives

AK-47s are the default guns of revolutionaries and third world militias because they're so cheap (yeah, $300 and on for cheap ones from Ukraine and stuff). The problems with the accuracy, noise and safety suck, but the price is unbeatable, and they pack some insane punch.

All the handguns in my last post are called M1911-style handguns. What would you like to know about pistols and such?[/b]

Anything. If that's not to much of a hassel.

Choosing weapons based off of COD MW? o_O and if you're in Australia, I'm fairly certain there is no hope. To my knowledge, .50 models are only legal in two states in America, dependent on special request, taxes and registry etc.[/b]
Uh, .50 cal rifles are legal in most (if not all) states for private citizens to own.

What names are there for hand guns and there firing power?[/b]

Well, there's the different brands and models, then their caliber. The caliber can either be in English caliber, or millimeters.

For example: Ruger (company name) Super Redhawk (gun model) .44 Magnum (gun caliber).

The caliber or millimeter is the diameter of the bullet at the widest point of the cartridge. Sizes run from 4.7mm pinfire cartridges to .600 Nitro Express caliber.

Also, generally calibers are interchangeable with millimeters in a pinch (i.e. in WWII, Nazis could use American (caliber) ammunition in their millimeter rifles, but we couldn't use theirs).

The more popular American pistol calibers are (from small to large): .22LR, .22 Magnum, .380 ACP, .38 Special., 9mm Parabellum, .40S&W, .45ACP, .357 Magnum, .41 Magnum, .44 Special., .44 Remington Magnum, .454 Casull, .460 S&W, .500 S&W, and .50AE.

The defensive pistol calibers generally range from .380 ACP to .357 Magnum, as these have manageable recoil, and are generally effective against attackers. Hunting cartridges generally start at .45 ACP and go up to .50AE or higher.

As for pistol MAKERS . . . the list is absolutely huge. Some of the more well-known makers are: Colt, Kimber, Smith & Wesson, Springfield Armory, Ruger, Charter Arms, and Para-Usa.

The two main types of handguns are revolvers (like old west six-shooters) and semi-automatic pistols (like the M1911 series I posted earlier). Between these two, there are several different methods of action (ways to prepare and fire the bullet from the gun). Each type has advantages and disadvantages, and both revolvers and semi-autos are used for defensive guns. The large-bore semi-autos are sometimes used for hunting, but generally that realm belongs to the revolvers.

Any other questions? Try to be specific . . . we're tackling a huge subject.

Sorry I don't know much about guns. What about rifles? What type would you use for hunting?[/b]

Rifles come in five types: black powder, single-shot, bolt-action, semi-automatic, and automatic. Of these, the first four are generally usable for hunting. Popular rifle calibers (and millimeters included) from from the tiny .17HMR and .22LR to .700 Nitro Express. The hunting rifle calibers run from .223 Remington for varmints to .700NE for African big game. In between you have calibers like the .45-70 Gov't, the .25-06, the .30-06, the .400NE, and the .577NE, among others.

If I were a hunter, I'd probably use something along the lines of a .308 Winchester . . . actually, I'd use a 7.62x54R cartridge. It's similar in size to the .308, and is quite powerful. From what I've seen, its useful for hunting just about everything on the North American continent.

AK47 > all[/b]

I saw a weapons documentary on TV where they compared the AK to the M-16. M-16 won, easily.

I saw a weapons documentary on TV where they compared the AK to the M-16. M-16 won, easily.[/b]

obviously. they don't win in price tho.

the other thing is iirc m16 uses 5.56 ammo with bullets that tumble and break when they hit. 7.62 ammo is usually full metal jacket iirc and so it pierces armour better but has less stopping power against flesh.

1911SS4.jpg

The Taurus USA PT1911SS .45 ACP Government Model in .45 ACP.

VALUE OF TAURUS PT 1911 FEATURES AT RETAIL VALUE

Full length guide rod & reverse plug $35

Heinie Straight Eight Sights 150

Serrated slide rear and front 100

Checkered 30-lpi trigger guard 50

Checkered 30-lpi mainspring housing 60

Checkered 30-lpi frontstrap 150

Ambidextrous safety 125

Beavertail grip safety with memory pad 120

Skeletonized hammer 60

Skeleton serrated trigger 100

Trigger job 100

Custom fit barrel (air-gauged bushing) 100

Custom slide to frame fit 100

Polished feedramp and barrel throat 50

Lowered and flared ejection port 60

Custom internal extractor 75

Extended mag release button 35

Beveled mag well 100

Extra 8-round magazine 30

SUBTOTAL 1600

Basic Mil-Spec Model 1911 pistol 500

TOTAL 2100

NOTES: Prices are average of parts, installation, and fitting charges from five leading U.S. pistolsmiths based on a Mil-Spec basic Model 1911 pistol as the starting point.[/b]

Available for $589 cash somewhere on the East Coast.

'Tis a deal, no? :thumbup::naughty: :cool2: :CrazyGuns:

Uh, .50 cal rifles are legal in most (if not all) states for private citizens to own.[/b]

NFA Class III weapon.

I want to buy a Rapier. Does that count? Though it's more like a sword than a knife.

I try to stay away from guns and knives, i'm sure it can only lead to trouble[/b]

Nope. Try plinking or target shooting sometime. As long as you follow the rules of gun safety, you'll be alright.

PW9151LP.jpg

I hate guns and knives with a passion I can't even describe. In fact I kinda have this phobia for sharp objects.

Plus I'm strongly opposed to gun ownership. Yeah... sorry if I sound like a darn hippie.

I hate guns and knives with a passion I can't even describe. In fact I kinda have this phobia for sharp objects.

Plus I'm strongly opposed to gun ownership. Yeah... sorry if I sound like a darn hippie.[/b]

Would you like to discuss it (but in another thread, or PM)?

Would you like to discuss it (but in another thread, or PM)?[/b]

I don't know if there's much to discuss, but sure, is there a thread on that already?

I don't know if there's much to discuss, but sure, is there a thread on that already?[/b]

Not gun rights or gun control per se . . . we could use this one if you like, or just take it to PM. OR--if you really want to--we can make a genuine thread on it.

I don't currently own any myself, but I'm looking forward to inheriting my dad's collection of four shotguns (one dating back to the 1930s which he inherited from his grandfather), two .22 rifles, a .306, a .22 pistol, a Sig Sauer P229, and a Smith & Wessen .38 revolver.

I'm also wanting to buy myself a pistol some time this summer, but I'm not sure where to start. Hoping for high affordability without costing myself too much quality. Any ideas of what to get and where to get it, anybody?

Oh, I also have two daggers. One of them is from France and a replica of Napoleon's dagger.

daggernapoleondaga4113.jpg

The AK-47 and various clones are okay. They're reliable, but are inherently less accurate at longer distances than similar rifles.[/b]

Tell that to the DC snipers. :P

I don't currently own any myself, but I'm looking forward to inheriting my dad's collection of four shotguns (one dating back to the 1930s which he inherited from his grandfather), two .22 rifles, a .306, a .22 pistol, a Sig Sauer P229, and a Smith & Wesson .38 revolver.

I'm also wanting to buy myself a pistol some time this summer, but I'm not sure where to start. Hoping for high affordability without costing myself too much quality. Any ideas of what to get and where to get it, anybody?[/b]

Would that be a .308 or a .30-06? I don't know of a .306. :P The Sig Sauer is a great gun, and depending on the condition of the S&W, it probably is too.

Cheap, hi-quality 1911 pistol: Springfield Armory GI .45 ACP 1911. It's a near-exact copy of the WWII-issue 1911 and our local dealer sells them for $525. Includes: pistol, cleaning rod, brush, kydex strong side OWB holster, case, 1 magazine, 1 kydex dual magazine carrier, and various small parts/tools.

As far as I know, the above comes in your choice of three finishes: parkerized, blued, or stainless. It is a Government Model (5" barrel, full-size grip). Parkerized is matte-black with excellent wear and corrosion resistance. It needs a light coat of oil to work best. Blued is a sort of black with bluish tint. It is economical, but wears off easily, is easily scratched, and is only so-so at corrosion resistance. Stainless is simple stainless steel--possibly satin-finished. Pretty good corrosion resistance, may require some extra care, but looks absolutely stunning.

Some cons: the original WWII sights are stubby and small--not one of my favorite things about it. The ejection port isn't lowered/beveled, so it may give you unpredictable ejection patterns. The grip safety doesn't have a beavertail--if you have large hands, beware of hammer bite. The palm swell on the back of the grip may make the gun too big if you have small hands.

None of those things should affect performance though. The 1911 is a superb (some would say genius) design and Springfield Armory is an excellent manufacturer--it should go BANG every time you pull the trigger. The original WWII design was made to work best with FMJs, and to my knowledge it does. JHPs make it hang up and malfunction, unless you want work done to polish the feed ramp and throat. Federal Premium sells a 165 gr. Expanding Full Metal Jacket for personal defense--FMJ feeding reliability and JHP performance.

If you don't have $525 or so to spend, the next best thing I've found is a polymer pistol, also firing .45 ACP. It's the Hi-Point JHP .45, sells for about $189 from the local dealer.

Hi-Point designs their guns for the practical gun owner--someone who wants utter reliability for home defense, but not much more. It's not too practical for CCW, but it will work for home defense or as a first pistol. This pistol holds nine rounds and will fire every time you pull the trigger. It's a heavy gun--weighing even more than the 1911--but it's a good working gun. It can be modified with Hi-Point specific lasers and such, if you're into that. It doesn't look too pretty, I think, but Hi-Point makes good stuff. Their warranty is the best in the business as well. :P

Other Hi-Point models come in .380 ACP, 9mm Para, and .40 S&W, in case a .45 isn't your thing.

Your local FFL should be able to order Springfield Armory or Hi-Point. If you can't find a good price locally, you can order online from http://www.budsgunshop.com . They consistently have lower prices than other places online and are, to my knowledge, reliable and good to deal with. Just have them ship it to your local FFL.

Would that be a .308 or a .30-06? I don't know of a .306. :P The Sig Sauer is a great gun, and depending on the condition of the S&W, it probably is too.[/b]

Yeah, yeah, I meant a .30-06. The Sig is definitely an awesome piece of firepower, though by far the most difficult to aim out of all these guns. The S&W is also in excellent condition, though I've realized I'm not a big fan of revolvers... they're a bit uncomfortable to hold if you're using two hands.

Cheap, hi-quality 1911 pistol: Springfield Armory GI .45 ACP 1911. It's a near-exact copy of the WWII-issue 1911 and our local dealer sells them for $525. Includes: pistol, cleaning rod, brush, kydex strong side OWB holster, case, 1 magazine, 1 kydex dual magazine carrier, and various small parts/tools.

As far as I know, the above comes in your choice of three finishes: parkerized, blued, or stainless. It is a Government Model (5" barrel, full-size grip). Parkerized is matte-black with excellent wear and corrosion resistance. It needs a light coat of oil to work best. Blued is a sort of black with bluish tint. It is economical, but wears off easily, is easily scratched, and is only so-so at corrosion resistance. Stainless is simple stainless steel--possibly satin-finished. Pretty good corrosion resistance, may require some extra care, but looks absolutely stunning.

Some cons: the original WWII sights are stubby and small--not one of my favorite things about it. The ejection port isn't lowered/beveled, so it may give you unpredictable ejection patterns. The grip safety doesn't have a beavertail--if you have large hands, beware of hammer bite. The palm swell on the back of the grip may make the gun too big if you have small hands.

None of those things should affect performance though. The 1911 is a superb (some would say genius) design and Springfield Armory is an excellent manufacturer--it should go BANG every time you pull the trigger. The original WWII design was made to work best with FMJs, and to my knowledge it does. JHPs make it hang up and malfunction, unless you want work done to polish the feed ramp and throat. Federal Premium sells a 165 gr. Expanding Full Metal Jacket for personal defense--FMJ feeding reliability and JHP performance.

If you don't have $525 or so to spend, the next best thing I've found is a polymer pistol, also firing .45 ACP. It's the Hi-Point JHP .45, sells for about $189 from the local dealer.

Hi-Point designs their guns for the practical gun owner--someone who wants utter reliability for home defense, but not much more. It's not too practical for CCW, but it will work for home defense or as a first pistol. This pistol holds nine rounds and will fire every time you pull the trigger. It's a heavy gun--weighing even more than the 1911--but it's a good working gun. It can be modified with Hi-Point specific lasers and such, if you're into that. It doesn't look too pretty, I think, but Hi-Point makes good stuff. Their warranty is the best in the business as well. :P

Other Hi-Point models come in .380 ACP, 9mm Para, and .40 S&W, in case a .45 isn't your thing.

Your local FFL should be able to order Springfield Armory or Hi-Point. If you can't find a good price locally, you can order online from http://www.budsgunshop.com . They consistently have lower prices than other places online and are, to my knowledge, reliable and good to deal with. Just have them ship it to your local FFL.[/b]

Sweeeet thanks. A 1911 is a bit out of my price range, but I may look into Hi-Point.

By the way, I also bought a Russian Mosin-Nagant today! 1936 issue for $99. Even comes with a bayonet. I'm quiiiite excited. I have to wait 10 days for my background check though. :(

Yeah, yeah, I meant a .30-06. The Sig is definitely an awesome piece of firepower, though by far the most difficult to aim out of all these guns. The S&W is also in excellent condition, though I've realized I'm not a big fan of revolvers... they're a bit uncomfortable to hold if you're using two hands.

Sweeeet thanks. A 1911 is a bit out of my price range, but I may look into Hi-Point.[/b]

I don't think you'll be disappointed. FYI, if its just the revolver grip that's uncomfortable, you can get aftermarket revolver grips in different styles, in case you want to try and find a good one. Hogue grips are a good place to start.

By the way, I also bought a Russian Mosin-Nagant today! 1936 issue for $99. Even comes with a bayonet. I'm quiiiite excited. I have to wait 10 days for my background check though. :([/b]

Mosin-Nagants are great guns. I have a 1953 carbine with a bayonet. :P $99 is a great price for a Mosin too--though don't pay over $125 for one.

The corrosive military surplus hardball ammunition (7.62x54R) comes out of the old Eastern Bloc countries--Russia, Romania, the Czech Republic, Hungary, etc. It's cheap--440 rounds in a case for $86 bucks sometimes. If you use it, beware: its grimy and you'll have to clean the gun after every shooting session.

Sellier & Belliot makes some good noncorrosive, commercial, lead softpoint ammunition--good if you're into hunting. It's a bit more expensive than the surplus stuff, but much cleaner.

Mosins also work well with scopes--excellent for long-range work.

I recommend a recoil pad--limbsaver pads are 20 or 30 bucks, but they work well. Mosins--especially with that iron buttplate--kick noticeably. :P