Sign in to follow this  
Syphon

Guns and Knives

I don't think you'll be disappointed. FYI, if its just the revolver grip that's uncomfortable, you can get aftermarket revolver grips in different styles, in case you want to try and find a good one. Hogue grips are a good place to start.

Mosin-Nagants are great guns. I have a 1953 carbine with a bayonet. :P $99 is a great price for a Mosin too--though don't pay over $125 for one.

The corrosive military surplus hardball ammunition (7.62x54R) comes out of the old Eastern Bloc countries--Russia, Romania, the Czech Republic, Hungary, etc. It's cheap--440 rounds in a case for $86 bucks sometimes. If you use it, beware: its grimy and you'll have to clean the gun after every shooting session.

Sellier & Belliot makes some good noncorrosive, commercial, lead softpoint ammunition--good if you're into hunting. It's a bit more expensive than the surplus stuff, but much cleaner.

Mosins also work well with scopes--excellent for long-range work.

I recommend a recoil pad--limbsaver pads are 20 or 30 bucks, but they work well. Mosins--especially with that iron buttplate--kick noticeably. :P[/b]

I dunno if I'm cool with 60 year old surplus ammo from the Soviets... haha. I was gonna buy some ammo at the store when I was buying the gun, but the guy said he actually refused to sell me 7.62x54R because it was all either surplus ammo that would crap my gun up or Wolf brand ammo... ha.

And of course they're great for long range with scopes, Enemy at the Gates, helloooo. :P The store I was at also had one with an original sniper scope on it, though it cost around $500 so I passed. I figure I may upgrade buying parts from ebay, but even then original scopes are like $250 at the cheapest. :S

I dunno if I'm cool with 60 year old surplus ammo from the Soviets... haha. I was gonna buy some ammo at the store when I was buying the gun, but the guy said he actually refused to sell me 7.62x54R because it was all either surplus ammo that would crap my gun up or Wolf brand ammo... ha.[/b]

I've had good experiences with both surplus and Wolf ammo. Properly stored, ammo remains viable for decades--and this isn't sixty-year old stuff necessarily, but possibly "new" surplus. The "classic" Wolf brand ammo seems to have some sort of coating on it, like cosmoline, which will gum up the gun (at least for SKS ammo). The new Wolf ammo doesn't have this, and both from experience and opinion, its usually a good brand.

And of course they're great for long range with scopes, Enemy at the Gates, helloooo. :P The store I was at also had one with an original sniper scope on it, though it cost around $500 so I passed. I figure I may upgrade buying parts from ebay, but even then original scopes are like $250 at the cheapest. :S[/b]

Try a 9x scope for $35. :P

I've had good experiences with both surplus and Wolf ammo. Properly stored, ammo remains viable for decades--and this isn't sixty-year old stuff necessarily, but possibly "new" surplus. The "classic" Wolf brand ammo seems to have some sort of coating on it, like cosmoline, which will gum up the gun (at least for SKS ammo). The new Wolf ammo doesn't have this, and both from experience and opinion, its usually a good brand.[/b]

Ahhh... well in any case, Wolf is the only ammo brand my local gun range has banned, so I can't really do much about it anyway. :\

Try a 9x scope for $35. :P[/b]

No way, I need this to be authentic! This is the guy I need:

MNPUSCOPEMOUNT.jpg

Ahhh... well in any case, Wolf is the only ammo brand my local gun range has banned, so I can't really do much about it anyway. :\[/b]

Interesting. Why did they ban it?

No way, I need this to be authentic! This is the guy I need:

MNPUSCOPEMOUNT.jpg[/b]

An original Soviet PX sniper scope? If that's what I think it is, good luck finding one for less than 250 bucks. OH--is your Mosin a full-size rifle or carbine?

Interesting. Why did they ban it?[/b]

Probably has something to do with the coating, though Wiki is telling me they don't manufacture that any more.

Any thoughts on Bear Ammo? I'm seeing that for pretty cheap, I found a site where I can get Brown Bear for around $8.50 for a box of 20. Haven't seen any negative rep either.

An original Soviet PX sniper scope? If that's what I think it is, good luck finding one for less than 250 bucks. OH--is your Mosin a full-size rifle or carbine?[/b]

My point exactly. :P

And mine's the full-length 89/30.

Probably has something to do with the coating, though Wiki is telling me they don't manufacture that any more.

Any thoughts on Bear Ammo? I'm seeing that for pretty cheap, I found a site where I can get Brown Bear for around $8.50 for a box of 20. Haven't seen any negative rep either.[/b]

I'm guessing ableammo.com? ammunitiontogo.com is another, but they're always overpriced. Brown Bear/Silver Bear Ammo is quite good. I've used some of it--works well, doesn't gunk up the gun. It's a good brand.

Sellier & Belliot is another good brand. I /think/ Winchester might make some in their White Box lineup.

My point exactly. :P

And mine's the full-length 89/30.[/b]

You might look into getting a carbine too. They're a little more rare than the full-length, but they weigh almost the same and have almost the same range.

OH--FYI: Pledge works wonders on gun stocks, but so does RemOil. Don't let solvents come in contact with the wood stock--it'll most likely destroy the finish.

I'm guessing ableammo.com? ammunitiontogo.com is another, but they're always overpriced. Brown Bear/Silver Bear Ammo is quite good. I've used some of it--works well, doesn't gunk up the gun. It's a good brand.

Sellier & Belliot is another good brand. I /think/ Winchester might make some in their White Box lineup.[/b]

Well I was gonna get Brown Bear from Midway USA, but apparently that deal ended last night... now it's back up to $10.79! :(

Ableammo.com doesn't seem to have Brown Bear 7.62x54R, or anything less than $20 as far as that caliber goes.

Ammunitiontogo looks like they have some decent deals on surplus ammo though... 100 Russians for $22. Or could I get it for cheaper somewhere else? (Not looking for any large quantities though, so none of the big tins of 440 rounds just yet)

You might look into getting a carbine too. They're a little more rare than the full-length, but they weigh almost the same and have almost the same range.[/b]

What for though? :P

Well I was gonna get Brown Bear from Midway USA, but apparently that deal ended last night... now it's back up to $10.79! :(

Ableammo.com doesn't seem to have Brown Bear 7.62x54R, or anything less than $20 as far as that caliber goes.

Ammunitiontogo looks like they have some decent deals on surplus ammo though... 100 Russians for $22. Or could I get it for cheaper somewhere else? (Not looking for any large quantities though, so none of the big tins of 440 rounds just yet)

What for though? :P[/b]

I could always be wrong. :P Ammunitiontogo.com might be a good place. :P

Why a carbine? Just to have one. The more Mosins the better! :P

You might also try Cheaperthandirt.com for Mosin stripper clips (10-packs) and ammo. They're a good company, one I've dealt with before.

Also, I think another company is called The Sportsman's Guide. It's good, as far as I know.

I could always be wrong. :P Ammunitiontogo.com might be a good place. :P

Why a carbine? Just to have one. The more Mosins the better! :P

You might also try Cheaperthandirt.com for Mosin stripper clips (10-packs) and ammo. They're a good company, one I've dealt with before.

Also, I think another company is called The Sportsman's Guide. It's good, as far as I know.[/b]

Well, I settled for 100 rounds of Russian surplus ammo for $22.95 from Ammunition To Go.... then they tacked on $12.71 shipping and handling.... not impressed... <_<

Oh well, still a good deal. Better than spending $20+ for a box of 20 rounds in any case.

I also bought a butt pad on ebay which comes with 5 stripper clips, so I think I'm all good to go. Now I just wait 6 more days to pick the gun up, and it's off to the clock tower! Er, range I mean.

Got a sword and a kitchen knife, that count? :P

How I'd love to shoot a gun, the closest I've gotten is a rabbit shooting gun... lol

Try this weapon : The Automatic Kalashnikov 47. Known as, the AK-47 (Amazing what you learn when your half russian aye?) Power in the hand ;)