Body modification

NoMoreLies

Is it sinning? After all, God made your body the way it is. If you have curly hair, and use straighteners, aren't you saying to God 'I don't like the way you made me - with curly hair - so I'm going to change it'? Same with girls (and some boys) who paint their nails. That's basically saying 'I don't like the fact that my nails are made the colour they are, so I'm going to change that'. To be honest, even fake tan ould be considered a sin!

Is it sinning? After all, God made your body the way it is. If you have curly hair, and use straighteners, aren't you saying to God 'I don't like the way you made me - with curly hair - so I'm going to change it'? Same with girls (and some boys) who paint their nails. That's basically saying 'I don't like the fact that my nails are made the colour they are, so I'm going to change that'. To be honest, even fake tan ould be considered a sin![/b]

If this is true then does that mean Michael Jackson went to hell? :crying:

Of course Michael Jackson went to hell. Not because he changed his skin color.

It's an issue of the heart, if you're just changing your fashion style and it's not a self-confidence thing then it's fine. However, if you are doing it for solely the reason because you hate the way you are, there's something wrong. I straighten my hair and I'm a guy, but I don't do it because I hate my curly hair, I just like straight hair better. It's not a make or break thing.

I dye my hair every month, am getting a tattoo on Sunday Morning, and yeah, I'm a "Manscaper", because I don't like the body hair that God gave me. :P

So, no, it is not a sin. God wants you to be beautiful, and look great, and if that means going to extreme lengths to do that, and getting constant makeovers, then you should.

Is it sinning? After all, God made your body the way it is. If you have curly hair, and use straighteners, aren't you saying to God 'I don't like the way you made me - with curly hair - so I'm going to change it'? Same with girls (and some boys) who paint their nails. That's basically saying 'I don't like the fact that my nails are made the colour they are, so I'm going to change that'. To be honest, even fake tan ould be considered a sin![/b]

no its not sinning my goodness. by this logic we shouldnt comb our hair but play by golf rules "play the ball as it lies" leave your hair as it is lol. this is ridiuclous, so i guess we should all grow our hair and bears out until all us men look like gandalf from the lord of the rings. Body mutilation however would be immoral.

I dye my hair nearly every month, straighten/curl my hair, paint my nails, etc. It something fun and if I prefer to look different than what I was born with, then that's my style and makes me feel confident. I find it annoying when a lot of people on this site (no one in particular) label plastic surgery as superficial and fake. I've had work done but only on a few scars I had from an accident. I wasn't born with those scars so I don't understand how it's insulting God.

A virtuous woman's adornment comes from within; she fears God and pleases him-not with gold or rubies but with holiness of heart.

The words of Solomon in Proverbs 31:30: Favour is deceitful, and [outward] beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the LORD, she shall be praised.

1 Timothy 2:9 "In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;"

1 Timothy 6:6 "But godliness with contentment is great gain."

There is nothing wrong with wanting to look good, but our priority should be on things above (Colossians 3:2).

God wants you to be beautiful, and look great, and if that means going to extreme lengths to do that, and getting constant makeovers, then you should.[/b]

hmm okay let's discuss "extreme" lengths why don't we.

It's okay to look and feel good, If painting your nails makes you feel beauitful than do it, but if hair dye, surgery, excess make-up, tanning salons etc are something you need to help you feel confident, than I would say it's wrong. We shouldn't need to find our confidence in man-made products that can do harm to our bodies in the long run.

I don't think people understand that extreme lengths for beauty can lead to death.

-Botox can lead to death

-lipo, breast reduction and implants, nose jobs, tummy tucks, butt implants you name it can all have unhealthy side effects and can all even lead to death.

-tanning can lead to death or ugly skin

-make-up can be also dangerous to our skin, if not washed off or if used when expirary date is old.

-dyeing the hair too much can fry it and lead to unhealthy hair.

- exercising obsessivley can lead to self harm, anorexia, even death. I'm not talking 1/2 hour i'm talking 4 hours, just to have the ideal body.

Now you tell me is "extreme lengths for beauty" okay?

Botox can lead to death[/b]

You would need to have A heck of a lot. Besides, botox makes you look like a fish-(unless doen really well). So, in my opinion it makes you look sort of ugly for the most part :P

-lipo, breast reduction and implants, nose jobs, tummy tucks, butt implants you name it can all have unhealthy side effects and can all even lead to death[/b]

So? Measles vaccine can lead to death as well. Does that mean we should not get it?

-tanning can lead to death or ugly skin[/b]

I'm against tanning. It is very dangerous and increases risk of skin cancer.

-make-up can be also dangerous to our skin, if not washed off or if used when expirary date is old.[/b]

Yeah... so wash it off.

dyeing the hair too much can fry it and lead to unhealthy hair[/b]

Meh. I get mine done by a professional, and he says it's perfectly safe with what he uses.

- exercising obsessivley can lead to self harm, anorexia, even death. I'm not talking 1/2 hour i'm talking 4 hours, just to have the ideal body[/b]

I'm at the gym a minimum of 6 hours a day.Trust me, I need to gain 35lbs to have the ideal body, I'm not going to become anorexic. Sure, there is pain involved. But... no pain, no gain.

6 hours a day? Are you sure you don't need to see a psychologist?

Now for some scripture...

For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb.[/b]
20 But who are you, O man, to answer back to God? Will what is molded say to its molder, “Why have you made me like this?†21 Has the potter no right over the clay, to make out of the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for dishonorable use?[/b]

See? God made you the way you are, and if you try to change that, you're going against God. Somehow.

6 hours a day? Are you sure you don't need to see a psychologist?[/b]

lol.

I didn't just one day wake up and randomly say to myself, "Yeah, I am going to do 6 hours a day in the gym from now on". I have been training in slow and steady periods ever since I was 11, preparing my body for this sort of work. Besides, I am training to be a pro-wrestler, just google Randy Orton, and tell me he didn't do 8-10 hours in the gym when he was my age. So for me, it is essential.

See? God made you the way you are, and if you try to change that, you're going against God. Somehow[/b]

I guess you've never had a haircut, cut your fingernails or washed your hair then.

Because according to your flawed logic, you are going against God when you do that.

Besides, it is impossible to "change yourself". I could go Michael Jackson and paint myself black and change my name to Jamal.

Point of the matter is, I'm still the same person that God made me.

Well, when I'm older I deffinatley want surgery. I'm not confident with the way I look, and I know I should be because God made me "perfect" and he loves me and things. However, I dont want to look in the mirror all the time and think "my nose is so messed up and my boobs are too small". I dont feel comfortable with how I look, so if I can have a boob job and nose job I genuinley think I will be more confident and less negative abotu how I look. And, so its not "natural." God didnt create us complete with houses, kettles, straightners, cars, makeup etc. and millions of people use them in order to make life more convinient.

So, no, it is not a sin. God wants you to be beautiful, and look great, and if that means going to extreme lengths to do that, and getting constant makeovers, then you should.[/b]

You really believe that?

lol.

I didn't just one day wake up and randomly say to myself, "Yeah, I am going to do 6 hours a day in the gym from now on". I have been training in slow and steady periods ever since I was 11, preparing my body for this sort of work. Besides, I am training to be a pro-wrestler, just google Randy Orton, and tell me he didn't do 8-10 hours in the gym when he was my age. So for me, it is essential.[/b]

What are your workout stats?

And Randy Orton isn't that big.

"Of course Michael Jackson went to hell"???? WHAT??? there's no of course about it. We have no idea who is or isn't in heaven. For all we know Hitler my have been deaply remorsefull when he died. and really turned away from his sin and been forgiven by God. It's unliley but not impossible. We cant pretend to know who is and isnt in Heaven because only God can make that judgement

"Of course Michael Jackson went to hell"???? WHAT??? there's no of course about it. We have no idea who is or isn't in heaven. For all we know Hitler my have been deaply remorsefull when he died. and really turned away from his sin and been forgiven by God. It's unliley but not impossible. We cant pretend to know who is and isnt in Heaven because only God can make that judgement[/b]

If Hitler had been denying Christ all through his life, why would he suddenly at his death bed accept Jesus? Also, will someone who committed suicide go to heaven?

There are things we can't understand and the fact is only God knows the heart. We don't know. I can't stress this enough. We. Don't. Know. It's in God's hands, and that is that. Yes, Hitler denied Christ throughout his life, but we can't see into his heart or the last hours of his life. We can't see into the the spiritual realm. No one knows. It's not our place to say. The same goes for those who committ suicide.

Back on topic, though: I don't see tattoos as sinful, though I can't understand why someone would want to get a permanent mark on their body they must keep with them to their dying day. If I got one, it would be small and simplistic, like a heart. I dunno.

But back to the issue at hand. :offtopic:

I believe that all image choices really just come down a few self-assessments:

a. Why are you changing your image and/or why do you choose to look like you do? Do the honest reasons sit well with your conscience and what you know of the character of God?

b. Although image and personality are far from mutually exclusive and can be used to enhance one another, is the maintenance or changing of your image taking a higher priority than things about your personality that need maintenance or changing?

c. Is the maintenance or changing of your image both financially viable and financially appropriate?

d. What image are you trying to project of yourself and to whom is this image most impressionable upon (ie. where does your image place you on different social ladders)?

e. If you had to honestly and simply list your priorities in life, would your maintenance or changing of your image sit higher than your relationships with people it affects or will affect and, of course, your relationship with God? Is this appropriate?

The conclusions and consequences of these assessments would be totally variable between individual Christians. But if it's cool with you and cool with God, than it's cool. And I, as an onlooker, have no right to judge. :bash:

But of course, the very purpose of image is to alter judgement and perception of yourself to others, especially in the context of first impressions. So I'm going to think what I think without even conscientiously thinking about it. :whistling:

And that's why image matters so darn much.

Idk

11. Any posts that are deemed irrelevant to a topic (“spamâ€) will be deleted, and a warning issued. Likewise, topics started that do not have an obvious or substantial purpose, or replies to a topic that are not related to its subject content, will be deleted, and the poster warned.