3 members have voted

1. 1. Well, Are you?

• Yes, I am a Christian.
    • Yes, I am a Christian Fur.
    • No, I am not a Christian.
    • No, I am not a Christian Fur.
    • Other.

Before everyone gets freaked out and whatnot:

A Furry is someone who likes anthropomorphic animals (from nature, movies, art, cartoons, stories, etc). That's the basic, most-oft agreed-upon definition. That way, if you like The Lion King, or foxes, horses, wolves, etc., you could be a furry, if you so chose. Most Furries are not weird people with weird sexual fetishes (they're there, but that's a SMALL minority).

Anthropomorphic animals include: the rabbits from Watership Down, The animals from the Redwall series, just about every Disney movie with talking animals (though some differentiate between anthropomorphic animals, and talking animals, like cartoons), as well as were-animals. The Lion King, Balto, Robin Hood and the new movie, Fantastic Mr. Fox, are perfect examples.

It also includes all real animals (whether actually furry or not). The level of "Furriness" one feels may be a mild appreciation for movies, art and such, all the way to full fursuits (think of any animal mascot, and you get the general idea), or anywhere in between.

That said, there is a difference between Furries and Therians (another counterculture group).

Therians deeply identify with an animal or animal type, usually spiritually. Furries may do so, but the term "Furry" does not encompass such beliefs.

The collective group of Furries is called the Furry Fandom, or sometimes just the Fandom.

Here's an article from the Hartford Advocate (positive media coverage, for once): Hell Hath No Furries.

Fact and Myth about Furries (plus another definition): Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

From the above source: "Anyone and everyone can be, and probably is at least to some extent, a Furry. If you talk to your cat and think they care, you're a Furry."

I'd just like to find out who is who--no pressure. Hey--any thoughts on Furries or the Fandom in general are also

welcome. :P

EDIT: List of media coverage, positive and negative:

Furry Public Perception and Media Coverage

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest FirefromtheEast

-No I am not a furry.

-I have no idea what their public image is like, so I can`t comment on it.

-The concept of the "furry fandom" weirds me out, but that doesn`t mean I`d dislike the person. I don`t like/dislike a person based on interests.

-Not one.

-My favourite animals are birds of prey (you only gave the option of "eagle", so I clicked that and "other")

-No questions at the moment, though I may think of something later.

-Not one.

-To be quite honest, I couldn`t care less about "sub-cultures"/"counter-cultures". It does bother me when one acts like they are an oppressed minority based on on their interests though.

-I`m Hindu.

I don't get this at at... I liked the characters in the Lion King because they were adorable, funny, and the film makers made me care about them. Does that make me a furry?[/b]

Not necessarily. As far as I know, people who liked The Lion King could go either way. If TLK was the only movie you liked that had animals in it, then you might be a Lion King Fan. Generally, Furriness overlaps with several interests. In your case, it's probably a "Furry if you want to be", sort of thing.

Would you consider yourself a Furry?

No.

Do you think Furries have a bad public image?

Yes --- I think the minority with odd sexual fantasies are the general idea that the general population gets when furries are mentioned. -Mumbles- Narrowminded idiots.

Do you like or dislike Furries?

I like Furries: they're cool

If you ARE a Furry, does your Furriness impact your life a lot, or not much at all?

I'm not a Furry.

What is your favorite animal?

Dragon

Would you like to know more about Furries? (please put questions in the thread)

Yes --- I'd like to think I know a fair amount though, since me and you talk a lot, Jark.

If you ARE a Furry, what do you do that is related to the Fandom?

I am not a Furry.

Did this thread change your perception of Furries and the Furry Fandom in general?

Yes, for the better --- Yes and no. I learned more, but it didn't change my perception that they're not insane.

Are you a Christian?

Yes, I am a Christian.

Guest FirefromtheEast

Just curious, but doesn`t this "fandom" contradict Christian belief that man is made above animals and is to have dominion over them? Rather than... being one, being a hybrid, (or finding them attractive in some cases)?

Just curious, but doesn`t this "fandom" contradict Christian belief that man is made above animals and is to have dominion over them? Rather than... being one, being a hybrid, (or finding them attractive in some cases)?[/b]

When taken to the extreme, yes, it could contradict Scripture and thus constitute sin.

Some Furries do believe they are one with an animal, but then they are known as Therians, not Furries. This belief would contradict Scripture.

Where does one draw the line?

I don't have a single answer for the first part, but here is my best shot:

I don't think the wish to be an animal is harmful (as long as it does not detract from the responsibilities and, realities of daily life . . . wishing in moderation, as it were), nor does it necessarily constitute a contradiction of Scripture. In this regard, the Believer should consult Scripture and God for himself, thoroughly, in context, to discover what God's will is for him.

The human fascination with certain animals does not, I believe, contradict Scripture. In His endless creativity, God created animals with striking genetic diversity, as well as the capacity to be pleasant or beautiful to the human sense of aesthetics. He also created animals to be testaments to His creativity, power, and glory, as well as being companions for man. In a sense, Furriness can be appreciation for such creativity (and also appreciation for man's God-given ability to reproduce such forms in art, or let the imagination flow in writing). Animals are representations of God's creativity, but only humans are made "in His image". I would say one only "gives up" this special privilege of being made in God's image if one truly believes one is part animal, or otherwise not entirely human (as in the Therian subculture).

Furry art and stories are probably the most . . . notorious aspects of the Fandom. There is a substantial body of adult work in the Fandom, produced by a minority of artists and writers. These works, by their very definition, would contradict Scripture, and most definitely constitute sin.

Finding them (meaning Furry representations of animals) attractive (as a replacement for real people) may indicate social adjustment problems--or perhaps psychological ones--, but would not contradict Scripture, I think (as there isn't, to my knowledge, Scripture on the subject). However, that specific behavior is not something I believe God wants for humans (since He created humans for each other). Finding animals themselves attractive (as in various deviant behaviors) is indicative of serious psychological and spiritual problems, and would constitute sin if not resisted, just like any other immoral thought.

I may have driven this answer into the ground. If its confusing, let me know, and I'll try to rephrase it. Any other questions?

Guest FirefromtheEast
The human fascination with certain animals does not, I believe, contradict Scripture. In His endless creativity, God created animals with striking genetic diversity, as well as the capacity to be pleasant or beautiful to the human sense of aesthetics. He also created animals to be testaments to His creativity, power, and glory, as well as being companions for man. In a sense, Furriness can be appreciation for such creativity (and also appreciation for man's God-given ability to reproduce such forms in art, or let the imagination flow in writing). Animals are representations of God's creativity, but only humans are made "in His image". I would say one only "gives up" this special privilege of being made in God's image if one truly believes one is part animal, or otherwise not entirely human (as in the Therian subculture).

Furry art and stories are probably the most . . . notorious aspects of the Fandom. There is a substantial body of adult work in the Fandom, produced by a minority of artists and writers. These works, by their very definition, would contradict Scripture, and most definitely constitute sin.[/b]

I`m not talking about a fascination with certain animals. For example, I have always loved birds. I love studying them, watching, learning calls, etc, but this is different than this fandom in the fact that I do not want to be a bird. Or imagine/draw pictures of humans morphed with birds.

Of course anyone interested in bestiality is in sin (sorry if my former post was interpreted that way). If God created humans to be humans (and above animals), why are humans morphed with wolves/bears/cats/etc, or wanting to be an animal not synonymous with sin? If you are created above animals, to have dominion over them, why is wanting to be one not a sin? And why is portraying oneself as a hybrid (ex: human with cat features) not considered an abomination?

I`m not talking about a fascination with certain animals. For example, I have always loved birds. I love studying them, watching, learning calls, etc, but this is different than this fandom in the fact that I do not want to be a bird. Or imagine/draw pictures of humans morphed with birds.[/b]

Being a Furry does not mean you MUST want to be a bird. Many do not, in fact, and merely hold a great fascination with them, like yourself. Some people are not artistically inclined to draw what is called "Furry Art", or "Anthro Art". It is not a requirement for the Fandom--lol.

Most Furries have what they call a Fursona: an alternate, online personality, much like a username. This Fursona can be as vague or as detailed as one wishes, and provides a way to keep reality and fantasy separate.

Many Furries (or Furs) mainly appreciate certain characteristics of animals: the speed of the cheetah, the mystery of the wolf, the majestic beauty of the eagle, etc. Scripture does not say this is a bad thing (and in fact waxes eloquent about the attributes and characteristics of animals on multiple occasions on its own).

If God created humans to be humans (and above animals), why are humans morphed with wolves/bears/cats/etc, or wanting to be an animal not synonymous with sin? If you are created above animals, to have dominion over them, why is wanting to be one not a sin? And why is portraying oneself as a hybrid (ex: human with cat features) not considered an abomination?[/b]

My question would be: why WOULD it be a sin? As far as I know, there is no Scriptural prohibition about creating fantasy creatures, or envisioning oneself as something that could only happen in one's imagination. I'm sure most people have wanted to be an animal at least once in their lives. I see nothing in Scripture about that being a sin.

Simply just because the reality is that we are created above animals is true, that does not prohibit imagining that one is an animal (or hybrid, etc.), as long as such imaginings are kept separate from reality. As always, moderation must be used, as anything (including the Fandom) can be harmful and/or sinful if taken to extremes. Self-control should also be exercised: humans control their minds, not the other way around.

Similarly, portraying oneself as a hybrid is purely fantasy, and the vast majority of Furries recognize that. Using your God-given imagination is a good thing, for all ventures, unless it leads one into sin, I would say.

Furthermore: many Furries (as I said above), do not actually want to give up their human lives and be animals. There are a few who claim they would, but they are the minority (and if they are sincere, that would be the perfect example of "extremes", mentioned above).

In a nutshell: I see no reason why those specific truths of Scripture make these specific fantasies and such, sins as a whole. Some of these fantasies may turn into sins, but that depends on several factors: intent, control, fantasy, etc.

I think I had a run in with a Therian. He was like...a creeper nerd on steroids. blink.gif

"I'm a furry,you're a hooman. I'm better than you. i'll eat you. .>=("

If he was really part animal,he'd be peeing on his keyboard,not typing on it.[/b]

Quite possible. It may be hard to tell unless they are really open about it, or you get to know them. Keep in mind:

"Therian" refers to an actual spiritual identification or belief about oneself concerning animals. From what you said, that person may have just been a fairly . . . enthusiastic Furry. :P

Guest FirefromtheEast
My question would be: why WOULD it be a sin?[/b]

I don`t think it is. It just seemed like something from a Christian perspective would be.

a Furry isn't someone who just "likes" anthropomorphic animals, they actually think they are the animals[/b]

It's a common misconception: THERIANS think they are animals (that is, they hold deep spiritual significance with animals, and some believe they are actually part animal). Some Therians are Furries, but Furries are not Therians. This is because the term "Furry" simply does not encompass such beliefs, to my knowledge.