St. Bernadette's Body after 122 years.

Setsuko Flin

I thought this was truly amazing, and beautiful. :)

St. Bernadette's Body after 122 years.

The thing to remember is that the poor sisters of those days were buried in a pine box and in no way embalmed like today.

This is one of the 200+ miracle facts of incorruptible bodies that can only be traced to most of the declared saints of the Roman Catholic Church.

These are the pictures of St. Bernadette who died 122 years ago in Lourdes, France and was buried... her body was only discovered 30 years ago. After church officials decided to examine it, they discovered her body is still fresh today. If you ever go to Lourdes, France you can see her in the church in Lourdes. Her body isn't decomposing because during her lifetime, the Blessed Mother would always appear to her and give messages and advice to all mankind on the right way to live on this earth. Many miracles have taken place in Lourdes and still do until today.

These pictures were taken in the church at Lourdes where her body is on display.

STB.jpg

St.jpg

Scientists have wondered about this because it defies the laws of nature and instead of expecting a foul smell of a dead body, a fragrance of flowers can be experienced when the glass of coffin is opened. Some say they experience the fragrance by just going near the coffin. You can visit the Church of Lourdes, France to verify yourself the authenticity of this truly wonderful experience and see for yourself a living miracle of our times.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

200 years isn't all that long. I think god could think of more helpful ways of showing his power than preventing the body decay of a corpse. Maybe something like preventing the body decay of living, sick children.[/b]

Forgive me for my second post. I just did some reading, and learned that St. Bernadette was not embalmed. The nuns back then were very poor, and couldn't afford to embalm anyone.

Forgive me for my second post. I just did some reading, and learned that St. Bernadette was not embalmed. The nuns back then were very poor, and couldn't afford to embalm anyone.[/b]

Thus why I said "even unintentionally"; the fact that she was preserved by means other than human ritua, doesn't mean she wasn't embalmed. It's clear that she hs a "crust," as wikipedia puts it, of salts and oher preserving additives.

I'm pretty skeptical of many stories about God appearing and strange things happening with bodies, but many preservations of this nature do have an eerie otherworldly feel. Even if she was exposed to some preserving naturally occurring chemicals, I don't think they would have preserved her this well. You'd swear she was still alive.

Even good old Abe Lincoln didn't look that good after years in the ground and being dug up and viewed over and over. Lenin's body doesn't look so hot either.

I'm pretty skeptical of many stories about God appearing and strange things happening with bodies, but many preservations of this nature do have an eerie otherworldly feel. Even if she was exposed to some preserving naturally occurring chemicals, I don't think they would have preserved her this well. You'd swear she was still alive.[/b]

If you were to look up other reports on it, you would see that patches of her skin have deteriorated as normal. Kinda makes you think that a natural, uneven distribution of salts accumulated, preserving certain parts of which they naturally took pictures of, eh?

No, no, it's a miracle.

If you were to look up other reports on it, you would see that patches of her skin have deteriorated as normal. Kinda makes you think that a natural, uneven distribution of salts accumulated, preserving certain parts of which they naturally took pictures of, eh?

No, no, it's a miracle.[/b]

As someone who has taken in depth science courses I stand by what I've said. The salts wouldn't preserve what they have touched THAT well

You know proud_orthodox_guy, you're right, it is amazing, and I don't care what people say, it's truly the work of a God.[/b]

Indeed.

Heh, the Evangelicals are skeptical of every miracle that occurs outside of Evangelicalism.[/b]

Haha yeah, I love how many of the doubters will believe any of the reports of these "prophecies" or "healings" that come from a Protestant source but if it's CATHOLIC and it involves a SAINT... then it's obviously the work of the devil :rolleyes:

I have never seen a preserved corpse before, that is so neat! She looks like she is just taking a nap. Her clothes are so pristine looking, and her fingernails look perfect. Wow, just wow.

I cannot help but be curious as to why God would perform this miracle. It is beyond my thinking as to what purpose this would serve. Do you think He did this so that a shrine of sorts would be built to display His greatness? (I am completely sincere here, not wanting to start something. Just wondering what a Catholic, or anyone else of faith, thinks when they see a miracle like this.)

What makes you believe that it is a miracle from God?

Haha yeah, I love how many of the doubters will believe any of the reports of these "prophecies" or "healings" that come from a Protestant source but if it's CATHOLIC and it involves a SAINT... then it's obviously the work of the devil :rolleyes:[/b]

Aww POG, not fair. :P Personally I am extremely skeptical of all claims to miracles, no matter the source. I would hope that others would be the same. I do not think it needs to be reduced to Catholic vs. Protestant.

What makes you believe that it is a miracle from God?[/b]

An incorrupt body is one of the many ways that God reveals that someone is a Saint. It does not happen to all Saints... but it happens to many.

This is an amazing story of a Saint who lived very recently. His body was exhumed twice and his body was still incorrupt and emitted a sweet fragrance. He died in 1920.

"In the final days of his life, the Saint was in the incurables ward in the midst of many poor, sick people who were brought there to die. In the bed next to his was a man who was paralyzed for many years. As soon as the Saint gave up his spirit, a nurse and the Nun who had accompanied him, prepared his sacred tabernacle for the transfer to Aegina for burial. For this they dressed the Saint in clean clothing and in doing so they placed the Saint's sweater on the bed of the paralytic to get it out of their way. And O, strange wonder! The paralytic immediately gained strength and arose from his bed, healthy and glorifying God.

The day he reposed, the whole hospital was filled with a strong fragrance that all the patients, nurses and doctors would come out in the halls to ask where the fragrance was coming from. For quite a few days they were not able to use the room where they had placed the relics because of the strong fragrance even though they had kept the windows open all day long. This room is now a chapel dedicated to the Saint.

They took his relics to the Church of the Holy Trinity in Piracus while they prepared a small wooden coffin for his burial. They then took the Saint to Aegina where they gave him a simple burial at the Convent of the Holy Trinity.

Some years later, as is the custom in Greece, his grave was opened to take the relics out and to their amazement, as they opened the grave they saw that the Saint was whole and fragrant. Not even his vestments had changed in any way. It was if he had just fallen asleep and been buried that same day. They did not tell the people of Aegina about the opening of his grave because he had already worked many miracles and had become very beloved and a very large crowd would have gathered even people from Athens and other far places where he was known. So, early in the morning, as soon as they were finished with the Divine Liturgy, as it were dawning, they went to open the grave.

At the moment they were opening the grave a taxi was going by on the road below the Convent and inside was a woman of ill repute and very sinful who had just come from a resort. As they approached the Holy Trinity Convent, the fragrance was so strong she told the driver, " Stop. What is that fragrance?" So he stopped the taxi and replied, " Oh, here is the convent of the Holy Nectarios. What else could the fragrance be but that they must be opening his grave today and it must be coming form his grave. For many times a fragrance came from his body before they buried him, and even from the grave it comes sometimes." She got of the taxi and ran to go see. She went up to the Convent just as they opened the coffin and saw the relics whole. She was so very moved by this and especially the fragrance that she began to weep and publicly confessed her sins. Thus she was corrected and became a prudent and Christian woman in her way of life.

At that time they telegraphed Archbishop Chrysostom Papadopoulos in Athens and he went to the island to see the relics himself. After examining the relics, he irreverently counseled the Nuns to leave the relics in the sun and air for two or three days and then rebury them so they would dissolve. Thus it is with those who pretend to be pious, and yet in their hearts have but the smell of corruption, the stench of death. They cannot understand the things of God, but blaspheme against the very Holy Spirit by such words and actions. The nuns, fearing the censure of the Archbishop and also being simple, did as they were told. After he had been out in the sun for two days they reburied him, but within a month or two they opened the grave again and took out the relics which were still whole and placed them in a marble sarcophagus.

In 1934, fourteen years after the repose of the Saint, a doctor was coming from one of the villages on horseback and was caught in a very heavy rainstorm in the area of the Convent. He took shelter under a tree but, it was raining so hard that he thought it would not be letting up soon so since the only shelter he could see was the Convent and he decided to go there. He had known the holy Father Nectarios while he was living, but being a man who did not believe, he did not reverence the Father that much. He went and knocked on the door of the Convent and the nuns put him up for the night, but since it was evening and it was forbidden by the canons to keep any man inside the Convent in the evening, not even the priest of the Convent, they put him up in a little place outside for guests. But as the gates of the Convent had not been closed yet, he wanted to investigate what he had heard about miracles and incorrupt relics as long as he was there at the convent. So he went to were the sarcophagus was and began to pull the heavy marble top down as far as the waist of the Saint. Just then a nun came by and she yelled, "What are you doing there? What are you doing, opening our Elder's grave?" And he replied, " I just wanted to take a look." "But you did not have permission," she insisted and began to make a commotion. But in the meantime he investigated the relics anyway. (Later he said, "I was very amazed to see that it was the Father Nectarios that we all knew. And that he still could be recognized from his face and expression. Even his beard was intact. I pulled some of his beard, but it would not come out. I touched his hand and saw that it was skin. It had remained so well on the bones (there was not much flesh) and had not shriveled up. He could be recognized by anyone who had known him when he was alive.") Then they closed the marble sarcophagus.

But whether for our sins or some other reasons, some years later the relics of the Saint dissolved, and what we have now are his holy bones. They encased his holy head in a Bishop's mitre and opened the top so one can kiss the crown of his head. The other parts of his relics, which have much fragrance, they put in a silver box. "

Read more about his life here:

http://www.saint-nectarios-of-aegina.org/B..._Nectarios.html

Umm... so what? The family isn't even Christian let alone Roman Catholic. I don't see how that's relevant.