Sign in to follow this  
ShieldOfFaith

Skinny pants banned at Texas schools

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw....html?nTar=OPUR

“Skinny pants” are the newest rage, and at least one area school district is aiming to keep them off school campuses.

Seth Chamlee, a student at Kimbrough Middle School in Mesquite, found that out the hard way on Tuesday. School administrators gave him a choice: Go home, or trade his skin-tight skinny pants for slacks provided by the school.

Also Online

He went home. And he’s going to stay there.

“We’re going to home schooling,” the boy’s mother, Cindy Pope, said Wednesday. “He can learn more without the distraction of what to wear.”[/b]

Kids in Texas are being homeschooled for wearing skinnys O_o

“We don’t allow striped shirts or check shirts,†said Laura Jobe, a district spokeswoman. “There are certain types of clothes that are not acceptable dress style.â€[/b]

What?

Look, I realise that it's your school and you can command people to dress however you like, and I also realise that it doesn't reflect well on you if your students are going around dressed like technicolor trollops, but if you're going to be THIS anal about it then you might as well just have a uniform.

This is silly. Not that I'm a big fan of skinny jeans, but goodness! Woke up on the tyrannical side of the bed this morning, did we?

Schools want to avoid distractions in education by implementing dress codes, but it so counterproductive to what they want to achieve given the fuss they make over violations in dress code.

I wonder if they can wear shorts. Because wearing shorts is almost like wearing skin-colored skinny jeans!

If I went to a school in that district, I'd probably organize a district-wide day of protest where we got literally everyone to wear something that violated the dress code. Facebook event or something. Just to stick it to the man!

Why was a dude wearing skinny jeans anyways?

What I think most adults don't understand is that skinny jeans don't necessarily equal tight jeans. Skinny Jeans are just jeans that get smaller around the calf/ankle, you can wear them w/o them looking like they're painted on. I wear skinny jeans but I probably won't be able to anymore because everyone at my school wears them too tight. <_<

Teenagers don't respect their teachers because their teachers generally aren't that smart.[/b]

Typical sentiment coming from an arrogant teenager.

This school shows incredibly stupid judgement, no skinny jeans, no striped shirts, no checkered shirts? are you kidding me? this isn't north korea where mens hair has to be buzzed and not longer than the beloved leader's.

Maybe they should focus on actually educating the kids rather than fill them with contempt by not allowing them the freedom to dress how they want, and skinny jeans immodest? cmon now, maybe if they were transparent.

Shoot, I'd be suspended for good lol. Good thing I already homeschool! W00t! Stripes and checks are amazing. Period.

Typical sentiment coming from an arrogant teenager.[/b]

They certainly have mastery of their specific subjects. (usually) But when it comes to dealing with actual kids, they're completely at a loss. It doesn't take very much intelligence to simply follow rules, and sometimes, that's all that they can do. They substitute authority for self-possession, a trait that people in general lack.

I went to a boarding school where most of the teachers were deserving of respect, but when I hear about the teachers at my brother's public school, I cringe. They're unable to answer the most basic questions that aren't answered in the book.

Notice how rebelliousness goes down and respect goes up when people go to college? It's not just that they change hormonally, that would just mean they rebelled less. It's because the professors are generally much more intelligent. They're the very best in their fields, generally.

Public school teachers are at the bottom of the academic ladder, and it's reflected in how their students treat them.

Typical sentiment coming from an arrogant teenager.[/b]

To be fair, it does happen sometimes. I remember having to explain what defragmentation was to my (alleged) IT teacher.

I go to a private school, and on the rare occasion when we get to dress down, they let us wear skinnies.

I would like to know what the school officials have against these pieces of clothing before I make any assumptions on them, but it seems pretty ridiculous to me.