Sign in to follow this  
God-Sent

Home-schooling parents may face criminal record checks

I don't look at it as giving up my rights, but extending a child's right to be educated in an environment that is safe.[/b]

Technically, I don't think that's included in the Bill of Rights or the Constitution.

I feel like this is one of those things all the home school people will get all worked up over, but it'll never end up happening anyway.

Technically, I don't think that's included in the Bill of Rights or the Constitution.[/b]

Rights aren't just rights when they're written down.

And I agree with god-sent here (ugh)

Most parents aren't qualified to be teachers. Most teachers go through years of school and training in the field. Most parents do not. Hence most parents cannot give their child an education of the calibur professionals can.

Technically, I don't think that's included in the Bill of Rights or the Constitution.[/b]

Both need an update. (Bill and Constitution)

As for the OP, I see no problem with this. If the parent that is doing the home-schooling has nothing to hide, then this shouldn't even be an issue.

Most parents aren't qualified to be teachers. Most teachers go through years of school and training in the field. Most parents do not. Hence most parents cannot give their child an education of the calibur professionals can.[/b]

I STRONGLY disagree!!! Most homeschooling parents have a degree! I know families that the mother has a degree in education, one is a lawyer and many more have gone to nationally recognized universities! Just because you don't go through training does not mean you can not homeschool. I have to say public school kids do NOT get the best education. Just look at the polls done on homeschoolers vs. public schoolers. I would ask you to PLEASE research before stating something with no evidence to prove it as true.

"A number of studies done by the National Home Education Research Institute have yielded similar results. One study, done by Dr. Howard Richman on home educated students in Pennsylvania showed that they score on average at the 86th percentile in reading and at the 73rd in math, as opposed to an average score of the 50th percentile among public schooled children."

Homeschooling – that is, parent-led home-based education – is an age-old traditional educational practice that a decade ago appeared to be cutting-edge and “alternative†but is now bordering on “mainstream†in the United States. It may be the fastest-growing form of education in the United States. Home-based education has also growing around the world in many other nations (e.g., Australia, Canada, Hungary, Japan, Kenya, and the United Kingdom).

· There are about 2 million home-educated students in the United States. There were an estimated 1.9 to 2.5 million children (in grades K to 12) home educated during 2008-2009 in the United States. It appears the homeschool population is continuing to grow (at an estimated 5% to 12% per annum over the past few years).

· Families engaged in home-based education are not dependent on public, tax-funded resources for their children’s education. The finances associated with their homeschooling likely represent over $16 billion that American taxpayers do not have to spend since these children are not in public schools

· Homeschooling is quickly growing in popularity among minorities. About 15% of homeschool families are non-white/nonHispanic (i.e., not white/Anglo).

· A demographically wide variety of people homeschool – these are atheists, Christians, and Mormons; conservatives, libertarians, and liberals; low-, middle-, and high-income families; black, Hispanic, and white; parents with Ph.D.s, GEDs, and no high-school diplomas.

The home-educated typically score 15 to 30 percentile points above public-school students on standardized academic achievement tests. (The public school average is the 50th percentile; scores range from 1 to 99.)

· Homeschool students score above average on achievement tests regardless of their parents’ level of formal education or their family’s household income.

· Whether homeschool parents were ever certified teachers is not related to their children’s academic achievement.

· Degree of state control and regulation of homeschooling is not related to academic achievement.

· Home-educated students typically score above average on the SAT and ACT tests that colleges consider for admissions.

· Homeschool students are increasingly being actively recruited by colleges.

Guest FirefromtheEast
Don't teachers in normal schools require background checks anyway? If you want to teach your kid, why shouldn't you be held to the same standard?[/b]

^This. As many have already said, if you have nothing to hide, then there is nothing to get fussed over. The homeschooling parents are just being held to the same standards as teachers in public schools. If anything, I`d think this would be seen as the government acknowledging that homeschooling is just a valid schooling metod as education in government-funded schools.

Guest HopelessDreamer
Adderall.[/b]

What is an "Adderall"? o.o

Medicine for ADHD kids.

Most parents aren't qualified to be teachers. Most teachers go through years of school and training in the field. Most parents do not. Hence most parents cannot give their child an education of the calibur professionals can.[/b]

My mother gave me a wonderful education, though she was a certified teacher. She just went to four years of college and then taught kindergarten. And no, we don't go through "years of school and training in the field". Not if you want to be an elementary or secondary education teacher. It's not as difficult as you might think.

And I agree with god-sent here (ugh)[/b]

I lol'd :P

Because at least in the U.S., you can do what you want in the privacy of your own home, within reason--including teaching your kids what you believe to be true.[/b]

We as a society are responsible for making sure everyone can get a proper education. If you aren't qualified to teach in a normal school, you have no business homeschooling your kid.

I don't look at it as giving up my rights, but extending a child's right to be educated in an environment that is safe.[/b]

Exactly!

I see nothing wrong with this. If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to worry about. It's really not a big deal.

OH NO THIS WILL BE THE DEATH OF ALL HOMESCHOOLING NOW THAT CRIMINALS CAN'T TEACH THEIR KIDS ANY MORE!!

Also, for all you Americans going "rahhhh, I hate the government, I hate Obama, I hate democrats, I hate everything under the sun, RAHH" this article is from the UNITED KINGDOM. Be quiet and actually try READING the article rather than the heading, and you'll have a lot less to complain about.

And as others have pointed out, the old phrase "if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to worry about!" that conservatives were recently big fans of keeps springing to mind...

And as others have pointed out, the old phrase "if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to worry about!" that conservatives were recently big fans of keeps springing to mind...[/b]

Nods.

"We're tapping all your phone lines!"

"Wot?"

"IF U GOT NOTHING 2 HIDE THEN YOU AINT GOT NUTHING TO WORRY ABOUT LOL"

Nods.

"We're tapping all your phone lines!"

"Wot?"

"IF U GOT NOTHING 2 HIDE THEN YOU AINT GOT NUTHING TO WORRY ABOUT LOL"[/b]

Yup, this post is a Win!

What's next? A background check before you can have a kid? Maybe a genetics test to make sure your child won't inherit any disease or anything?

Stupid[/b]

Remember, kids, when your previous argument gets knocked down, the best thing to do is retaliate with a slippery slope fallacy!

In order to be considered a real home-schooling organization, you have to go through local government. This is not the case with having children; I could go knock up a few girls right now and only ever have to worry about child support workers getting on my case.

Background checks to prevent heroin addicts from home-schooling their children ≠ testing you for good genes before "allowing" you to give birth.

I was homeschooled, and I actually think that this a good idea. There are some weirdo's out there, hiding behind homeschooling. But, most homeschool families have nothing to hide, so I give it up a thumbs up.

Because at least in the U.S., you can do what you want in the privacy of your own home, within reason--including teaching your kids what you believe to be true.[/b]

"Within reason"? What, pray tell, is unreasonable about smoking the dried leaves of a plant in the sacred pravacy of my own home?

And, Maddie, I've lived here for nearly 20 years and have yet to see an arctic fox outside of a zoo.

Remember, kids, when your previous argument gets knocked down, the best thing to do is retaliate with a slippery slope fallacy![/b]

Good thing it wasnt a argument rather than me asking questions.

Guest HopelessDreamer

Okay no. 1: I have NO symptoms of ADD/ADHD. >.>

2: I saw the UK link, but soon it'll probably be in America. D:

2: I saw the UK link[/b]

Then stop complaining about Obama and "this government." It is irrelevant to the thread.

but soon it'll probably be in America. D:[/b]

Good.

Guest HopelessDreamer

1. Complaining is not against the rules...

2. No, NOT good! D: