Sign in to follow this  
Jeremiah1409

Titus 2:11

I have heard different preachers say different things about this. At least in my opinion anyway. But, Titus 2:11 says, For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared unto all men. Now, I hear of missionaries and good christians saying that there is a world dying and going to hell because they have never heard of Jesus Christ. I have also heard one of my favorite preachers of all time bring this up in one of his sermons, "God has only obligated himself to appear unto all mankind once." Hence saying Titus 2:11. He was saying that everyone in the world is going to hear about salvation at least once. Now... I'm not saying anyone's wrong, I just want to know the truth...

I have heard different preachers say different things about this. At least in my opinion anyway. But, Titus 2:11 says, For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared unto all men. Now, I hear of missionaries and good christians saying that there is a world dying and going to hell because they have never heard of Jesus Christ. I have also heard one of my favorite preachers of all time bring this up in one of his sermons, "God has only obligated himself to appear unto all mankind once." Hence saying Titus 2:11. He was saying that everyone in the world is going to hear about salvation at least once. Now... I'm not saying anyone's wrong, I just want to know the truth...[/b]

My explanation will be at the end of the post.

Let's start with the chapter, to get a good sense of what Paul is saying here:

1 But speak thou the things which become sound doctrine: 2 That the aged men be sober, grave, temperate, sound in faith, in charity, in patience. 3 The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; 4 That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, 5 To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed. 6 Young men likewise exhort to be sober minded. 7 In all things shewing thyself a pattern of good works: in doctrine shewing uncorruptness, gravity, sincerity, 8 Sound speech, that cannot be condemned; that he that is of the contrary part may be ashamed, having no evil thing to say of you. 9 Exhort servants to be obedient unto their own masters, and to please them well in all things; not answering again; 10 Not purloining, but shewing all good fidelity; that they may adorn the doctrine of God our Saviour in all things.

11 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, 12 Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world; 13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; 14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works. 15 These things speak, and exhort, and rebuke with all authority. Let no man despise thee.

Titus 2:1-15 (KJV)

Now, some excerpts from a few commentaries I have:

Albert Barnes' Notes on the Bible:

"it means that the plan of salvation has been revealed to all classes of men; that is, that it is announced or revealed to all the race that they may be saved"

"If the other rendering be adopted, it means that that plan was fitted to secure the salvation of all men; that none were excluded from the offer; that provision had been made for all, and all might come and be saved. Whichever interpretation be adopted, the sense here will not be essentially varied. It is, that the gospel was adapted to man as man, and therefore might include servants as well as masters; subjects, as well as kings; the por, as well as the rich; the ignorant, as well as the learned"[/b]

John Darby's Synopsis

Tit_2:11-15 contains a remarkable summary of Christianity, not exactly of its dogmas, but as a practical reality for men. Grace has appeared. It has appeared, not limited to a particular people, but to all men; not charged with temporal promises and blessings but bringing salvation. It comes from God to men with salvation. It does not expect righteousness from men, it brings salvation to those that need it. Precious and simple truth, which makes us know God, which puts us in our place, but according to the grace which as overleaped every barrier in order to address itself, in the sovereign goodness of God, to every man on the earth![/b]

Adam Clarke's Commentary on the Whole Bible

Literally translated, the words stand thus: For the grace of God, that which saves, hath shone forth upon all men. Or, as it is expressed in the margin of our authorized version: The grace of God, that bringeth salvation to all men, hath appeared. As God's grace signifies God's favor, any benefit received from him may be termed God's grace. In this place, and in Col_1:6, the Gospel, which points out God's infinite mercy to the world, is termed the grace of God; for it is not only a favor of infinite worth in itself, but it announces that greatest gift of God to man, the incarnation and atoning sacrifice of Jesus Christ. Now it cannot be said, except in a very refined and spiritual sense, that this Gospel had then appeared to all men; but it may be well said that it bringeth salvation to all men; this is its design; and it was to taste death for every man that its author came into the world.[/b]

----

Strong's Greek Dictionary:

Grace: charis of manner or act (abstract or concrete; literal, figurative or spiritual; especially the divine influence upon the heart, and its reflection in the life; including gratitude): - acceptable, benefit, favour, gift, grace (-ious), joy liberality, pleasure, thank (-s, -worthy).

Salvation: soterion Neuter of the same as G4991 as (properly concrete) noun; defender or (by implication) defence: - salvation.

Appeared: epiphaino From G1909 and G5316; to shine upon, that is, become (literally) visible or (figuratively) known: - appear, give light.[/b]

What do we know from this verse and the surrounding context?

1. God's grace (in the forms of Jesus Christ and the Gospel) has appeared to all men.

2. It brings salvation, which, according to other Scripture, is only effective if accepted.

3. This grace unto salvation is for all people, everywhere.

I would tend to agree with Albert Barnes, in that the appearance of God's grace is an announcement of salvation to mankind. This doesn't mean that everyone will be saved, but that everyone either has or will have the chance to be saved. If they do not accept that salvation, they will not be saved. Everyone already knows God exists (courtesy of Nature, Romans 1). If babies die, they will go to heaven, courtesy of the age of accountability.

I'm curious as to your exact question--and perhaps this would be better moved to Bible Discussion?