Wake Up!

blackswan41

I'm gonna blow.

Seriously, something has shifted within me and I have this uncontrollable urge to yell at the top of my lungs, "Wake UP!!" at my local church and other various places where God continues to be diluted to near pablum.

It began most pointedly at Easter mass where hundreds of strangers poured into church to fulfill their Easter duty or brunch dates. While I understand this is completely judgemental on my part, I just can't stand the fast food mentality which extends to punching one's spiritual card today. The more I learn about my true faith and cleave ever closer to God the more distant I seem to feel from the masses. It is ever the more painful as I used to be one of the masses. The living dead.

It happened again at this week's mass where our well meaning pastor gave a Mr Rogers style sermon fit for preschooler's which was intended to inspire the high school seniors being honored. I began to writhe in pain looking around the sleepy crowd. "My God, My God do not foresake these young people I prayed. They need more then a sermon about Jesus the Good Shepherd as they prepare to enter the big world. They need a coat of armor!"

I felt myself ratchet down into a pool of powerlessness as my husband pulled up a photo of a wolf quietly waiting among the lambs on his phone. And all I could do is pray. Pray so intently. And hold in my screams! What shall I do, dear Lord?

Today, I walked into Wendy's Restaurant for a quick lunch only to see an employee wearing a new breakfast menu t-shirt emblazoned with the same phrase, "Wake up".

My God. What will you have me do? If I scream out, will anyone really listen?

How hollow your people have become.

Rev 3:16 'So because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of My mouth.'

God has his plan for all of us.

If it is up to you to scream out then don't hesistate even if no-one listens.

Think of it as the jews do. When you save one person you save all people.

do not be dissapointed or angry at anyones lack of faith because god is in control.

trust god, you are not on your own although it probably appears that way, and also remember that god works in peoples lives differently. I for one, am a person who always thinks "you call yourselves christians? How then can you be so content to sit there and not do anything about it?" I have realised that god is in control and that it is not his will for everyone to be running around like me playing music to glorify him and that there are many other ways to glorify him.

Some people are not ready for god and there is nothing you can do but follow what god has told you. Pray that you will be able to do god's will.

Now imagine that feeling....

But instead of looking at people....

Looking in the mirror....

My life story right there....

I used to want people to wake up... (still do)

But as of lately i would like for myself to wake up...

Keep doin your thing for the Lord. You got it.

It sounds like you have a major passion for revival to start; and it could be you're one of the ones who could get it started at your church.

Pray that God would(as Aqua partially said) open your eyes to others who have the same passion for revival, see what you can do to get it going; just make sure it isn't your anger with the lack of anything being done that leads you to do so. Pray, seek God and determine whether it is something He would have you do. One thing that might help(if work/school allows it) is fasting for a certain amount of time(just make sure that if you haven't fasted before, only do a 24 hour fast at most). There may very well be people at your church with the same desires and passion that you have; all you need to do is find them, and get to know them.

I don't think it's very fair on other people that you expect them to be as interested in religion as you want them to be. People fall under various demographics in this respect, some identify more with cultural catholicism rather than this devotion which you hold on to. People are different and it's their God-given right to be who they want to be.

Josh

People are different and it's their God-given right to be who they want to be.[/b]

Didn't He make them who they are in the first place?

And why're you worried about being fair? Do you think it was fair when Christians were persecuted, or when war vets were mistreated after the Vietnam War? Life isn't fair; its a simple fact. And his desire is NOT for people to be interested in religion; that's actually part of the problem. They dabble in religion, and act as though they're Christian. Yet where is their action, where is the proof? They live as though living, and yet are dead. They do not have the same yearning for Christ or revival as blackswan. Complacency on how they act will only deaden the church more; a line from a song by Ross King says, "Chuck the pews and all the decorations too, until the congregations few then have revival." Now, I'm not going to tell you if that's actually King's heart; you'd have to talk to him.

And Josh, I already know you'll greatly disagree; its part of who you are, and your views. But I'm going to make this clear now: blackswan's desire is something that is fair, and should be what each person desires; revival among the church, and an awakening that spreads. If his desire is wrong, you would have to seek out how it is wrong. And honestly, you'd have to get to know him. And he isn't saying that people shouldn't be different; he is just longing for a revival at his church that he has not seen, and thus it causes him frustration with the people there.

Didn't He make them who they are in the first place?

And why're you worried about being fair? Do you think it was fair when Christians were persecuted, or when war vets were mistreated after the Vietnam War? Life isn't fair; its a simple fact. And his desire is NOT for people to be interested in religion; that's actually part of the problem. They dabble in religion, and act as though they're Christian. Yet where is their action, where is the proof? They live as though living, and yet are dead. They do not have the same yearning for Christ or revival as blackswan. Complacency on how they act will only deaden the church more; a line from a song by Ross King says, "Chuck the pews and all the decorations too, until the congregations few then have revival." Now, I'm not going to tell you if that's actually King's heart; you'd have to talk to him.

And Josh, I already know you'll greatly disagree; its part of who you are, and your views. But I'm going to make this clear now: blackswan's desire is something that is fair, and should be what each person desires; revival among the church, and an awakening that spreads. If his desire is wrong, you would have to seek out how it is wrong. And honestly, you'd have to get to know him. And he isn't saying that people shouldn't be different; he is just longing for a revival at his church that he has not seen, and thus it causes him frustration with the people there.[/b]

God made people different, that's partly what the Tower of Babel myth is about.

I don't think that violence is fair at all. In fact, I'm very very opposed to any violence whether that be systemic, legal, illegal or anything of the sort.

I'm also opposed to treating people like a means-to-an-end rather than loving them for who they are and constructing relationships with them for their own being. That's why I'm opposed to people interested in "revival Christianity", where's the personalism of mass conversions and hyperreal gatherings? There's emotionalism and there's hype, there's a sense of belonging to something great and huge, but this isn't how the Christian religion works, I've chosen to be Christian not some sort of new agey charismatic revivalist. :) I mean, you can believe what you want, I'm open to pluralism.

Josh

Guys do not debate on this thread. I know it hasn't start yet, but please don't do it. This is someone's heart filled topic and I would hate for you guys to bring it down by arguing in it.

Mrs. P, I know your frustration. I know your annoyance. Trust me, I was there. That's exactly where I was a year ago with the skits and the kids who could possibly stand to look away during consecration, but you have to understand that God has given you that pastor for a reason. God puts these things in places for a reason. Not everyone is ready for steak and potatoes. Not everyone is ready for the kind of thing that I know you wanted him to say, but what he said was said for a reason. God does not put people in places for no reason. He does not allow things like this to happen for no reason. Some greater glory is at work here. Something that you can not see is at work here. Pray and trust. I understand your frustration, but He knows what He's doing. Also, might I humbly remind you that some people need to fall away from the Church in order to get close to it. I'm sure you're well aware of that fact.

I hope that you can work things out, but please I beg you do not get mad, and do not get frustrated, but simply trust for the Holy Spirit works in strange and wonderful ways.

Thank you all for taking the time and consideration to reply. That means a lot to me that I am being heard just the same.

I am in a quandry in particular because it is not in my usual nature to stand out. As a Catholic, I am also not comfortable with evangelical or charismatic movements. I was taught to worship reverently and quietly.

If it is up to you to scream out then don't hesitate even if no-one listens.[/b]

I don't think the Holy Spirit intends for me to scream, even tho it wells up in me. I am reminded that He came to the disciples in the upper room as a strong wind yet not an overpowering physical force. I am trying to be open to what He is truly directing me to. Devout prayer is a safe bet.

do not be disappointed or angry at anyone's lack of faith because god is in control.[/b]
I am more sad then anything. It has been pressed upon me that this truly is no game of life but quite serious for eternity. I am also reminded that scripture states that only "a remnant will be saved in the end." In sewing terms, a remnant is a scrap of it's original fabric.

I can not honestly reconcile that the lukewarmness I am surrounded by will be rewarded by God who encourages us: "Therefore you are to be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect." Matt 5:48

One thing that might help(if work/school allows it) is fasting for a certain amount of time(just make sure that if you haven't fasted before, only do a 24 hour fast at most).[/b]

Thanks for bringing this up as I did fast today, like most Wednesdays, for this and other specific intentions.

blackswan's desire is something that is fair, and should be what each person desires; revival among the church, and an awakening that spreads. If his desire is wrong, you would have to seek out how it is wrong. And honestly, you'd have to get to know him. And he isn't saying that people shouldn't be different; he is just longing for a revival at his church that he has not seen, and thus it causes him frustration with the people there.[/b]

Got a chuckle here as Im a woman :)

Also, might I humbly remind you that some people need to fall away from the Church in order to get close to it. I'm sure you're well aware of that fact.[/b]
I know you mean well dear. But, you have no idea still.

It is is gut wrenching to watch others frolic off to the ways of the world. While imperceptible at first, it leads to such fuzziness and isolation it is debilitating for many. Many, many never return...

I know that gut wrenching feeling better then I think you know. I have in my own life with relation to a specific friend, but when they're down that path, I'm not sure what you can do short of prayer, living your faith, and inviting them to share your faith with them that will change that. Most of it is the Holy Spirit's work. The other major part is the person being open to His workings. We can't make choices for them. We can't force grace upon them.

My God. What will you have me do? If I scream out, will anyone really listen?[/b]

I've learned that whether they do or do not, at least you're screaming.

"I would rather end my career preaching on a soapbox, than be caught dead in institutionalized Christianity and paralyzed. I want the Prophetic Spirit on me, or I want to die!" - A. W. Tozer

As a youth assistant, I feel the same way, Mrs. P. I see many people who are mindlessly living their lives for themselves, and it hurts. Others, have grown weary under the cross and refuse to pick it back up again. It is a sad time when God's people refuse to receive God's comfort.