Sign in to follow this  
Alumentum

So a Christian and a Pagan walk into a bar....

Ok, so this is ment to be a Q&A thread. I am trying my best to learn what ever I can about Christianity and this is a thread for me to post my questions and for you to post yours. I hope this will be a 'this for that' kind of conversation but, I'm happy with just having my questions answered : )

So, my first questions is on a man and a woman's role in society and Christianity? My youth group and I had a lesson on it last Sunday but, I wasn't real sure what was acceptable in today's standards.

PS, I'm absent until Thrusday night so please, if you are, don't ask me too many questions X 3

To add to the question on the first post:

Is it a sin to practice mysticism? (fortune telling, chants, etc.)

Also, is it a sin to drink? (not get drunk, just drink)

Regarding question 2 and 3... the post just above me.

It is a sin to practice in such things as it really isn't for god. UNLESS you are prophesying in god name, which discludes fortune telling and chants. Drinking I wouldn't say so, if god tells you not to drink, then it would be wise to follow his command but otherwise yes it's fine to drink. But getting drunk is a sin.

Regarding the question about practising mysticism, the Bible is quite clear about it being sinful.

I guess you could say its impatience and trusting in your own flesh - going to people that channel into the spirit realm to find out things which shouldnt be found out for a reason. The spirits that answer them or anything to do with the spirit realm, won't be Godly ones. They will be Satan's demons.

Nowadays i dont believe God would have any need to use Prophets when everything we need has been already prophesied in the word of God.

Everything we have is right here written in the scriptures.

And if you do claim to be a prophet of God you sure as melon should be otherwise your bringing reproach to the name of Christ just like if you claim to be a christian and you live the same as the world, you are blaspheming Christs name. Lieing about the nature of God.

Social and cultural conventions have long dictated exactly what ones place within society is at an individual level, they continue to do this even while being challenged by prevailing social customs such as, in relevance to this topic, feminism does.

Feminism, in it's modern mutations, is a series of 3 movements which began late in the 18th century and really took shape in the suffrage movements and the equal rights movements of the 19th and 20th century. At the moment, feminism challenges the prevailing customs of a unitary nuclear family as the foundation of wider society by deconstructing the notion of "dual spheres" - that is "private" and "public" life as a [i]real[/i] distinction. Instead feminists are much more inclined to view these separations as artificial and as outmoded. The way that this leaks into religion is quite obvious, distinctions between private and public which coordinate distinctions between a man's place in the word and a woman's place in the world will become much more muddled, even as they are becoming so now. Thus, women's roles in the private spheres is something which is being challenged as is men's roles as the public/authoritative figures, women's roles as the submissive, quiet and passive observers in the context of religion and men's roles as the authoritative and loud voices of control in religion is falling apart - I for one am quite happy that this is happening. :-)

It's not a sin to practice mysticism, contemporary fortune telling and astrology and magic has stemmed from Christian and Jewish and Islamic orthodox mysticisms.

It's not a sin to drink and one is intoxicated as soon as one has alcohol. The "levels" we assign to intoxication are fairly artificial, tipsy and drunk aren't set in stone at all.

Josh

Alright, so in my religion a chant or a spell or divination is a way of praying for answers. As of now I'm not praying to my Gods. Is it possible to use the same methods to pray to your God? I'm just curious because I think that would be interesting.

Also, what exactly is described as feminine and masculine in the bible? Is it bad for a woman to speak out or to be treated equally? If so, then does that mean that abuse from a husband is ok? I know that the blurring of the line between male and female is bad but, what about a man doing supposedly 'feminine' actions and a woman doing 'masculine' actions?( like a man taking home ec. and a girl taking shop class)

Spell and divination, no... Chanting is fine.

Also, what exactly is described as feminine and masculine in the bible? Is it bad for a woman to speak out or to be treated equally? If so, then does that mean that abuse from a husband is ok? I know that the blurring of the line between male and female is bad but, what about a man doing supposedly 'feminine' actions and a woman doing 'masculine' actions?( like a man taking home ec. and a girl taking shop class)[/b]

Men and women are equal but not the same. Men are supposed to love and cherish there wives as Christ loved the Church even to the point of death. Woman are supposed to submit to their husbands as the Church submits to Christ. This is not the same thing as being a door mat.

There is nothing wrong with learning to cook or to build thing. Those are stereotypes.

Spell and divination, no... Chanting is fine.

Men and women are equal but not the same. Men are supposed to love and cherish there wives as Christ loved the Church even to the point of death. Woman are supposed to submit to their husbands as the Church submits to Christ. This is not the same thing as being a door mat.

There is nothing wrong with learning to cook or to build thing. Those are stereotypes.[/b]

Alright, I was just curious because I love cooking XD. I've read some verses about God and what he has set as roles of a man and woman and they're almost the same as the ones that I have in my religion.

Ok, random questions I just thought of. If God made everything on the Earth at once and then flooded it and had Noah put two of every animal on his ark then what are dinosaur bones from? O.O

Creation was seven days long,jussayin'.

Creation and the flood were at least 500 years apart. There was plenty of time in between to the two for the world to grow in population. It was also plenty of time for the world to become full of sin,hence, the reason God made the worldwide flood.

Noah only had two of each kind of animal on the ark( well technically I believe it was 7 of each "clean/edible/touchable animal and two of all the "unclean" ones."). The bones leftover would be the bones of all the critters NOT aboard.

Creation and the flood were at least 500 years apart. There was plenty of time in between to the two for the world to grow in population.[/b]

That's certainly one way of looking at it

Okay you guys. I just deleted the 5 last posts here. They were all off topic. I'm not giving anyone warnings because some of this is understandable, but if you get this off topic again I will do warnings.

^yes^

I made this thread to learn and maybe teach, not to have my questions debated. If you guys want to debate any of these then take it away from here, I don't want anyone getting in trouble.

ANYWAYS, next question. I've had hundreds of different descriptions of Satan and who is his. The one thing that interested me was that I was told that he was an angle and that angles were beings of worship. If this is so, then how was he able to sin and rebel against God?

Angels were given one decision to either love God or not to love God. They were given one decision because they have perfect knowledge. Thus Satan, or Lucifer at the time, chose himself over God. Humans, on the other hand, are given many different times to choose between loving God and not loving God because we do not have perfect knowledge.

Angels were given one decision to either love God or not to love God. They were given one decision because they have perfect knowledge. Thus Satan, or Lucifer at the time, chose himself over God. Humans, on the other hand, are given many different times to choose between loving God and not loving God because we do not have perfect knowledge.[/b]

Ok, that makes sense. A bit like the difference between punishing a teenager and a 5 year old. Anyways, one thing that has come into mind was children. If a child dies but, isn't saved, do they go to hell? What about abortions?

I am Catholic and the Catholic Church has no doctrine on this. My personal belief is that unbaptized children do go to Heaven.

Alright, that's what I figured. My parents mentioned something about an age of accountability.

Anyways, recently I read a story about David and Goliath. I was entertained by the story because it is similar to the story of Thor and the Giants. Either way, I noticed that David went through a lot of highs and lows just like Thor does in the Eddas. Despite that, they both have faith and courage to make it through and come out on top in the end. It makes me wonder, did David's faith in God help him through his problems or did God himself pull David through?

Hi Alamentum :)

I believe the answer is that David defeated Goliath because of his, and the army's, faith in the Lord which God noticed and resultedly, blessed them with victory.

''You come against me with sword and spear and javelin, but I come againstyou in the name of the Lord Almighty!''

You know, John warns the Christians in 1 John 4:1 about such things to check the spirits because there are other spirits spread in the world aside from the all powerful one, which is God's. Yes the fortune tellers can tell your future because these are people who are used be the devil, but what they prophecy are what you allow to happen, I mean, just the mere fact that you believe in their tellings permit these spirits to write your future. Wouldn't you rather have God, the One who set your past, present, and future, tell you where you are going?

And with drinking, no. 1 Corinthians 10:23 says "All things are lawful for me, but not all things are helpful; all things are lawful for me, but not all things edify." My pastors only stopped drinking because of verse 24. Now a days, it is taboo for Christians to drink because of what is usually associated with drinking. A drink or so with a meal and/or friends is fine, but getting drunk is not, it's a sin.

Thank you for your answers. The one thing that I still don't get is why it is bad to use runes or other things for divination. It's not fortune telling, it's just a form or prayer. As of now I'm not praying to God but, is it still sinful if I start to use it to pray to God?

@Lyle, I like that verse. Makes sense when you think about it. What good is a mortal weapon against a God or faith?

I don't have much time but, about divination, I follow Deuteronomy 18:10 which speaks against it. God is in us and His spirit is all around us. We can talk directly to him without needing any other physical objects, other than ourselves. He also knows our future and we only need to trust Him.

This is the verse I have chosen to live by.

Jeremiah 29:11--'"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'

I hope this helps.

I suppose that makes sense. What I'm getting is that you can pray to God whenever you want and he can always speak to you. You don't need objects to communicate. In my religion you don't need them either but, it's so much more enjoyable and sometimes the answers are mind blowing. However, I suppose it could be the same with just praying to God. So far, I have been told that divination all together is bad while others have just stated that it's only bad if you don't call to God. Which one is right?

Hmm, I wouldn't personally know the answer to that one Alum however, Divination is associated with magic and runes, is it not? If so, then the whole practise altogether would be banished from a Christian's practises whether or not it is to consult God because it is seen as demonic.