Young men,

As of read a few threads on this post and have become saddened and angered by some of what I've read not only because of the brokenness but because of the lewdness I've read on this forum. This message is to those who are broken, who are lost in sin and find no way of escape. This is for those who know they are leading a life destitute of God and have no way of escape.

I've found in my personal journey on the narrow road with the Lord that it is an impossible task to mortify my sinful nature (Colossians 3:5) and put to death that which is unseemly, that is, the old man (Colossians 3:9-11). In all my efforts I failed. Accountability partners were a temporary remedy to long-term anguish, filters on my computer after time only increased my desire to find filth and counseling didn't aid much except further denial. Nothing worked.

But despite giving into dangerous lusts and fornication of the mind, God in His mercy revealed to me through His scripture that Christ is the only solution by which we can become free of sin. It finally hit me, 'Apart from Me [Christ], you can do nothing.' (John 15:5)

It hit my like nothing has in time past; finally the answer I was looking for! All of those remedies I tried to do in my humanity were not done through Christ, the Fountain, the living water from whom all blessings flow, from whom we receive salvation and in who's hand is healing. If I can do nothing apart from Christ, then everything I did was in vain. But, alas, Christ in His mercy had shown me my error and revealed to me, 'son you've pursued freedom from earthly things, when by Christ and Christ alone your freedom will come.'

So, brothers, hear what I am saying and look to the Fount, look to Christ, believe on Him and in Him and that by Him your sin and it's drowning lusts can and will be defeated for Christ aims to do it, He wills to do it in those who are His sons.

Because it has been a benefit to me I must share this with you. Read The Mortification of Sin by John Owen for it does truly help and will lead you to the only remedy for our murderous sins. Here is a prayer taken from this book that has been of great help, keeping in mind my fallenness and sin to which Christ is the aid:

"I am a poor, weak creature; unstable as water, I cannot excel. This corruption if too hard for me, and is at the very door of ruining my soul; and what to do I know not. My soul is become as parched ground, and an habitation of dragons. I have made promises and broken them; vows and engagements have been as a thing of nought. Many persuasions have I had that I had got the victory and should be delivered, but I am deceived; so that I plainly see, that without some eminent succour and assistance, I am lost, and shall be prevailed on to an utter relinquishment of God. But yet, though this be my state and condition, let the hands that hang down be lifted up, and the feeble knees be strengthened.

Behold, the Lord Christ, that hath all fullness of grace in his heart, all fullness of power in his hand, he is able to slay all these his enemies. There is sufficient provision in him for my relief and assistance. He can take my drooping, drying soul and make me more than a conqueror. 'Why sayest thou, O my soul, My way is hid from the Lord, and my judgement is passed over from my God? Hast thou not known, hast thou not heard, that the everlasting God, the Lord, the Creator of the ends of the earth, fainteth not, neither is weary? there is no searching of his understanding.

He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength. Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall: but they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; they shall walk, and not faint," Isa. 40:27-31. He can make the 'dry, parched ground of my soul to become a pool, and my thirsty, barren heart as springs of water;' yea, he can make this 'habitation of dragons,' this heart, so full of abominable lusts and fiery temptations, to be a place for

'grass' and fruit to himself,"

In Christ,

Skylar

So, brothers, hear what I am saying and look to the Fount, look to Christ, believe on Him and in Him and that by Him your sin and it's drowning lusts can and will be defeated for Christ aims to do it, He wills to do it in those who are His sons.

Amen.

Read The Mortification of Sin by John Owen

I'm glad you're reading good literature. I might also suggest that you get the compilation book, Overcoming Sin & Temptation, which includes not only his work, Of the Mortification of Sin in Believers, but also Of Tempation: The Nature and Power of it, along with Indwelling Sin.

Deeper,

Can you clarify something in your post? Are you endorsing a passive approach to healing through Christ, or an active approach to healing through Christ?

Deeper is not advocating slothfulness. Rather he is saying that in order to have healing, you must first see the Source of your healing, and believe that He has granted it to you, which results in good deeds.

There's more to it than that theologically, but in a nutshell, that's how it works.

Rayn did a good job explaining, so I won't drive the nail any deeper. The essence of the book and the essence of my post lies in that, despite all the outward works we may do to mortify the flesh and put away the deeds of the flesh, it will be fruitless without Christ. If we can do nothing apart from Christ, then all our efforts apart from Him are fruitless.

I do urge you to read "The Mortification of Sin" by John Owen, it explains this in excess.

In Christ,

Sky

Deeper is not advocating slothfulness. Rather he is saying that in order to have healing, you must first see the Source of your healing, and believe that He has granted it to you, which results in good deeds.

There's more to it than that theologically, but in a nutshell, that's how it works.

Ah, thanks for the explanation. I just really don't like the common "Christian" teaching of "sit back, let God take care of it, and assume no personal responsibility whatsoever".

Sign in to follow this