Sign in to follow this  
Karl Magnus

Stereotypes aren't really a bad thing, IMO

Every group has stereotypes directed against it, so they're actually pretty equal opportunity as a whole. Plus, stereotypes are often true.

o yes. they are not a bad thing. stereotyping is just a part of human nature, we catigorize things to made them easier to refer to.

know any for bernettes?

I agree that they aren't bad. It's a good way to relate to a group of people or know what to expect from them. That being said, one should not follow stereotypes TOO strictly, as there are often variations within the stereotype, or your first impression of the person that you're stereotyping may be wrong.

I've noticed (at least at my school) that the whole idea of stereotypes is kinda falling apart. People don't care what they're classified as, they just wanna live. Except for emos. They seem to care a lot.

Guest FirefromtheEast

Stereotypes are grounded in truth, though it may only be a minuscule amount of truth that is only applicable to a few people (and that minute amount of truth was exaggerated). On the flip-side, sometimes the stereotype is formed through many, many people who for it is true.

It entirely depends on what/who you are stereotyping to say if it holds much water or not, or if it is a good thing.

While stereotypes can have grounds in truth, this is not always so, and as stated, what truth exists is often exaggerated or tainted. It is also true that there are groups that have more stereotypes than others, and some are more negative than positive.

The “human nature” to categorize and group people is an unfortunate one. Stereotypes become expectations or presuppositions of a person or groups of people that can hinder social progress at all levels.

As a gay man, I am subject to a number of stereotypes including, but not limited to:

1. The notion that I am not a virgin, have had copious sexual experiences, frequent bars and clubs, and want nothing more than to have sex.
  2. Behave flamboyantly, and have a particular affinity for certain musical artists.
  3. The notion that I am not only atheist, but radically non-theist and militantly opposed to religion.
  4. Have never read the Bible/been to church/am a Christian, etc.
  5. Wear particular clothing- namely a propensity to wear women’s clothing.
  6. Am immasculine/wimpy/pathetic/incapable of surmounting difficult obstacles that require traditional “manly” attributes.
  7. The suggestion that I have some kind of STD, most likely AIDS.
  8. All gays were molested at a young age, or lack father figures.

That’s just to name a few that I have personally experienced- none of which are true.

Even though some of these may be true of some individuals, they are not true of all of them, and can inhibit acquiescence into society. Some who believe the first notion will be more likely to oppose to the idea of same-sex marriage, for instance. People who believe 3 and 4 will mouth off scripture as though I’m unaware, and try to witness to me. My own family believes 5 and 7, among others, etc, etc… Even those which aren't directly offensive can be tedious to have to dismiss, and generally aggravating.

Everyone is unique, and at the very least, everyone should take the time to get to know someone before they classify them. As a whole, I believe stereotypes do more harm than good, but I’m obviously biased.

Guest FirefromtheEast
While stereotypes can have grounds in truth, this is not always so, and as stated, what truth exists is often exaggerated or tainted. It is also true that there are groups that have more stereotypes than others, and some are more negative than positive.

The “human nature” to categorize and group people is an unfortunate one. Stereotypes become expectations or presuppositions of a person or groups of people that can hinder social progress at all levels.

^ Though not in the same situation as Matthew, I agree with this.

I think it really depends on what you mean. It is human nature to categorize people, but a stereotype is judging someone unfairly because of something they can not control (like being a girl or being a gender or being a sexual orientation). I mean, really, it all depends on how a person reacts to a stereotype and whether or not it's offensive.

Mmm... I beg to differ. I think stereotypes for the most part have a negative effect.

If you walk in the shoes of someone who is subject to stereotypes, you'll find that: Positive stereotypes = fine, but Negative stereotypes = not so cool...

Sometimes they can be very offensive and exaggerated and they just put one set of people under a false assumption, which isn't fair. Unfavourable stereotypes can lead to prejudice, discrimination and isolation. I guess it all comes down to who you are, and if you are offended by stereotypes or not. Victims can start fulfilling self-prophecy behaviour because they start thinking that stereotypes are norms that they should emulate. Stereotypes just form inaccurate opinions of people, they encourage judgmentalism and they can cause distress in certain settings. It reminds those who are being judged of how society sees them.

Anyhoo... where I live, diversity and multiculturalism is encouraged and I personally find that people are breaking stereotypes more and more. People are just choosing to live their lives however they want to regardless of what others may think. I also think that there really is no way to stop stereotypes because it's a human nature thing to generalize when we don't know enough about people. Plus, it plays a huge role in media and art and culture.

Stereotypes are not necessarily destructive. It doesn't hurt anyone if I assume that Kenyans are better runners than most people, especially since that stereotype has definite physiological truth to it. Further, it's not a moral judgment, or a judgment that I will act on in any harmful way. In the end, what I assume about people doesn't matter nearly as much as how I treat people.

That said, while stereotypes may not be destructive, they are not constructive. It's better to approach people as individuals, more rewarding to look for the person instead of the people. Therefore, stereotypes are bad simply because they are not the best; they are an inaccurate short cut to understanding other people.

but to say sterotype all sterotypes as non destructive isnt always true. For example, some sterotype all gays as bad, immoral people who want to sodomize you, or all muslims are terrorists who want to destroy america. The muslim sterotype currently being the most destructive right now with this whole mosque/community center issue in new york city.

but to say sterotype all sterotypes as non destructive isnt always true. For example, some sterotype all gays as bad, immoral people who want to sodomize you, or all muslims are terrorists who want to destroy america. The muslim sterotype currently being the most destructive right now with this whole mosque/community center issue in new york city.

Obviously some stereotypes are destructive. My argument is over whether there are any non-destructive stereotypes.

I believe that sterotypes arent bad. I believe that hate/negativity towards different stereotypical groups is bad. Everyone is individual, and unique. No one is going to be exactly a specific sterotype, but different groups arent bad!