Sign in to follow this  
Staralfur

Fox News parent company donates $1 million to Republican Governors Association

Rupert Murdoch's News Corp. gave $1 million to the Republican Governors Association (RGA) this year, Bloomberg reported. The company owns Fox News and the New York Post. (You can see the full IRS filing here.)

The filings show that the RGA raised $58 million between Jan. 1, 2009, and June 30, 2010. The Democratic Governors Association raised $40 million during the same period.

"News Corporation believes in the power of free markets, and the RGA's pro-business agenda supports our priorities at this most critical time for our economy," a spokesperson told Politico.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/2010/08/fox-parent-news-corp-donates-1.html

So much for fair and balanced, eh?

No, but they do balance out the other news stations that are all liberal. In america, they are the onlymajor conservative station.

Oopsie, this is my thread. I forgot to log out of Hannah's account when I posted it. :P

Anywayyy. I don't see it as balancing out other "all the liberal stations," because the only other station that appears at all liberal is MSNBC. I've yet to see anyone provide evidence that CNN, ABC, or NBC are liberal.

let me tell you that between CNN and FOX they are polar opposites

and if the owners of fox news wishes to inverst that money to the RGA then thwy have all the rights to it.

i believe that if it is your money then no one should have a say in where it should go or what it should be spent on.

i know this is not part of the topic but i also have a problem with the social security system too.

let me tell you that between CNN and FOX they are polar opposites

and if the owners of fox news wishes to inverst that money to the RGA then thwy have all the rights to it.

i believe that if it is your money then no one should have a say in where it should go or what it should be spent on.

i know this is not part of the topic but i also have a problem with the social security system too.

Why should a public corporation have the same rights as an actual citizen? It's not a citizen, it's an organization.

Oopsie, this is my thread. I forgot to log out of Hannah's account when I posted it. :P

Anywayyy. I don't see it as balancing out other "all the liberal stations," because the only other station that appears at all liberal is MSNBC. I've yet to see anyone provide evidence that CNN, ABC, or NBC are liberal.

Ask and ye shall receive!

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/beltway-confidential/Obama-Democrats-got-88-percent-of-TV-network-employee-campaign-contributions-101668063.html

Senior executives, on-air personalities, producers, reporters, editors, writers and other self-identifying employees of ABC, CBS and NBC contributed more than $1 million to Democratic candidates and campaign committees in 2008, according to an analysis by The Examiner of data compiled by the Center for Responsive Politics. The Democratic total of $1,020,816 was given by 1,160 employees of the three major broadcast television networks, with an average contribution of $880.

By contrast, only 193 of the employees contributed to Republican candidates and campaign committees, for a total of $142,863. The average Republican contribution was $744.

Disclosure of the heavily Democratic contributions by influential employees of the three major broadcast networks follows on the heels of controversy last week when it was learned that media baron Rupert Murdoch’s News Corp. contributed $1 million to the Republican Governors Association.

The News Corp. donation prompted Nathan Daschle, executive director of the Democratic Governors Association and son of former Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle, to demand in a letter to Fox News chairman Roger Ailes that the cable news outlet include a disclaimer in its coverage of gubernatorial campaigns. Fox News is owned by News Corp., which also owns The Wall Street Journal.

The data on contributions by broadcast network employees was compiled by CRP at the request of The Examiner and included all 2008 contributions by individuals who identified their employer as one of the three networks or subsidiaries. The data does not include contributions by employees of the three networks who did not identify their employer.

The CRP is the organization behind OpenSecrets.org, the web site that for more than a decade has put campaign finance data within reach of anybody with an Internet connection.

President Obama received 710 such contributions worth a total of $461,898, for an average contribution of $651 from the network employees. Republican presidential nominee Sen. John McCain received only 39 contributions totaling $26,926, for an average donation of $709.

Ninety-six contributions by broadcast network employees to the Democratic National Committee and the Democratic Senate and House campaign committees totaled $217,881.

Thirty-eight contributions by broadcast network employees to the Republican National Committee and the Republican Senate and House campaign committees totaled $23,805.

Among the individuals in the data are ABC News president Lloyd Braun, who contributed $1,000 to the Our Common Values PAC, which is associated with White House chief of staff Rahm Emanuel, and ABC Radio Networks president Jim Robinson, who gave $250 to GOP presidential candidate Fred Thompson.

Other individual givers found in the data include ABC reporters Sarah Amos, who gave $1,285 to Democratic presidential aspirant Bill Richardson, Clarisa Ward, who gave $500 to President Obama, and Kristina Wong, who gave $400 to the Democratic Party of Virginia.

Notable contributors found in the CBS data include "journalist" Seth Davis, who gave $2,750 to Obama, CBS Corporation vice president and editor-in-chief Jane Goldman, who contributed $250 to Obama, CBS Radio "host" Mike Omeara, who gave $1,471 to Obama, and "journalist" Beverly Williams, who donated $200 to Obama.

Among NBC contributors were Saturday Night Live producer Jeffrey Ross, who contributed $500 to Sen. Chris Dodd, D-CN, former NBC Today Show weatherman Willard Scott. who gave $500 to the Republican National Committee, NBC Universal CFO Jennifer Cabalquinto, whose donations to Obama totaled $1,200, and NBC Universal "editor" David Mack, with $250 to Obama and $2,300 McCain.

the fact that newscorp donated to the GOP isnt a statement about Foxnews, its a statement about newscorp that owns tons of media outlets.

I didn't realize that anyone took that "fair and balanced" bit of hot air seriously

Some news organizations take accuracy more seriously than others. It's sort of like statistics—no statistical test will say anything with 100% certainty, but that doesn't mean we like giant margins of error.

the fact that newscorp donated to the GOP isnt a statement about Foxnews, its a statement about newscorp that owns tons of media outlets.

It's a statement about Fox News as well as all the other news outlets News Corp owns. If a corporation has a completely blatant political alignment, don't you think that would be reflected in the companies they control?

I didn't realize that anyone took that "fair and balanced" bit of hot air seriously

I think she means that "fair and balanced" is a load of crap coming from them, and everybody knows it.

Why should a public corporation have the same rights as an actual citizen? It's not a citizen, it's an organization.

because it is owned by someone who has the right to do with their money as they see fit. even if it was headed by a group of people they still have the right to spend and donate to who or what ever they wish.

because it is owned by someone who has the right to do with their money as they see fit. even if it was headed by a group of people they still have the right to spend and donate to who or what ever they wish.

DING! Someone's hit the nail on the head here . . . .

Then maybe they should try doing it with their own personal income instead of company profits.

They don't have to--unless BCRA doesn't apply here.

Citizens United v Federal Election Commission, U.S. 50 (2010), was a landmark decision by the United States Supreme Court holding that corporate funding of independent political broadcasts in candidate elections cannot be limited under the First Amendment. The 5–4 decision resulted from a dispute over whether the non-profit corporation Citizen's United could air via video on demand a film critical of Hillary Clinton, and whether the group could advertise the film in broadcast ads featuring Clinton's image, in apparent violation of the 2002 Bipartisan Campaign Reform Act, commonly known as the McCain–Feingold Act.

I am. However, a mosque isn't a corporation. Plus, they can build anywhere else they like. To do so near Ground Zero is the height of disrespect--and it aggravates old wounds, not healing them.

I am. However, a mosque isn't a corporation. Plus, they can build anywhere else they like. To do so near Ground Zero is the height of disrespect--and it aggravates old wounds, not healing them.

Oh, so you believe that for-profit corporations have more legitimacy than religious organizations. Very interesting.

So, tell me, are you against the mosque/community center blocks away from ground zero?

i am against it deffinite. they are doing this as a slap in the face to americans. they are saying " we can destroy your buildings and kill your people and you still let us set up camp right where it happened. arn't you stupid." and we kinda are cuz some people wont see that this is exactly what they are shoving in our face.

Oh, so you believe that for-profit corporations have more legitimacy than religious organizations. Very interesting.

Talk about a non sequitur. How in the world did you EVER reach that conclusion from what I said, Karl?

How in the world did you EVER reach that conclusion from what I said, Karl?

Why else would a corporation have more rights than a mosque or Muslim group?

Don't randomly capitalize, that makes you look like a tard.