Welcome back to the Christian Teen Forums. We have been upgrading our forum software and it took a lot longer than originally anticipated. Thank you for your patience.

We are still working to bring some add-on features back, so it will be a continued work-in-progress. If you have any questions, feel free to post and ask away. 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ShieldOfFaith

Steven Hawking Changes his view on God

God Did not Create the universe says Hawking.

LONDON (Reuters) – God did not create the universe and the "Big Bang" was an inevitable consequence of the laws of physics, the eminent British theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking argues in a new book.

In "The Grand Design," co-authored with U.S. physicist Leonard Mlodinow, Hawking says a new series of theories made a creator of the universe redundant, according to the Times newspaper which published extracts on Thursday.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100902/lf_nm_life/us_britain_hawking

Making God unnecessary from a scientific standpoint does not negate His existence; it merely proves what I've said all along: Science cannot prove the existence of God because the physical is self-sufficient and the spiritual is not observable (on a consistent basis).

"Because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing. Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the universe exists, why we exist,"

If nothing exists, meaning there is literally nothing, the physical world does not exist, then how does the force of gravity exist when there is nothing in existence?

Ex nihil gravitas fit? Revolutionary. Either Hawking is really just that terrible of a philosopher, or he's being quoted way out of context. Then again, I haven't heard worse from scientists when they speak on philosophical matters...

But I mean, this just boggles my mind, its such a stupid statement. Honestly, there must be some sort of philosophical retardation to make anyone believe such a thing. I can't wrap my mind around it to even see how it could look like a logical idea. Gravity is nothing? Nothingness is gravity? There was nothing, and then gravity (which we were just ignoring before) made there be something?

Ex nihil gravitas fit? Revolutionary. Either Hawking is really just that terrible of a philosopher, or he's being quoted way out of context. Then again, I haven't heard worse from scientists when they speak on philosophical matters...

But I mean, this just boggles my mind, its such a stupid statement. Honestly, there must be some sort of philosophical retardation to make anyone believe such a thing. I can't wrap my mind around it to even see how it could look like a logical idea. Gravity is nothing? Nothingness is gravity? There was nothing, and then gravity (which we were just ignoring before) made there be something?

Yeah, I believe the whole idea of gravity is that mass bends the space around it, so if there's no mass, there's no bending (under the current theory). Unless he just expects the gravity of nothing to turn inside out and voila, there's some matter, well... yeah. o_O

God has been "unnecessary" for a long time. The only reason this made the news is because Hawking said it.

That being said, I could only hazard a guess as to what he means to say by invoking gravity.

This came from a different article, but even the idea that a scientists said this is rather socking to me: "Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the Universe exists, why we exist."

I have no earthly ideas how in the world he justifies spontaneous creation from a scientific standpoint considering no where in science does it say something comes from nothing.

Yeah, I believe the whole idea of gravity is that mass bends the space around it, so if there's no mass, there's no bending (under the current theory). Unless he just expects the gravity of nothing to turn inside out and voila, there's some matter, well... yeah. o_O

Even more important, if there's no mass, there's no gravity.

How post-modern of him.

These people think that because they've written books and have numerous degrees what they say is somehow actually revolutionary or important despite how stupid it sounds.

Even more important, if there's no mass, there's no gravity.

I believe this is where Mediclorians come into play.

If I were to say this I would be locked in that hug yourself suit in a spongebob room.

I think all the history channel interveiws have gone to his head.

So... the universe can create itself 'because there is a law such as gravity'? That doesn't make any sense to me.

And his new book is called "The Grand Design"? But I think that a design needs a designer... o_O

Considering the complexity of the science we're dealing with here, I'm not sure we have enough information to condemn his argument x3 You can't refute an argument you don't understand <3

Considering the complexity of the science we're dealing with here, I'm not sure we have enough information to condemn his argument x3 You can't refute an argument you don't understand <3

This x's 100.

Oddly enough this makes sense to me, but then again I have taken college level astronomy which briefly gets into the start of "everything"

Yes, I agree, well sort of. I have absolutely no idea how the mere existence of the law of gravity could create matter, but I'm sure that Hawking isn't saying this without reason. What does make no sense however, is his philosophical claim. The law of gravity had to be created (in which case - by whom or what?), or uncreated (which is just as ridiculous as the notion that the universe is uncreated). Basically, Hawking thinks that his discovery negates the First Cause argument, it actually has no impact upon it. It might, however, provide more evidence against the finely tuned argument, but that's not great anyhow.