Sign in to follow this  
Guest HopelessDreamer

Family outraged after officer shoots dog

Guest HopelessDreamer
Family members claim they called police for help Wednesday morning, but when officers arrived, they were treated like criminals and an officer shot and killed their family dog. It all unfolded in the 1100 block of Fiji Lane in Landover.

Four-year-old Mercedes, a Rottweiler mix, is the latest dog shot and killed by police in Prince George's County.

Dog owner Sterling Barlow said about Mercedes, "Cold blood... Shot in the head for no reason."

The problem started when owner Sterling Barlow's brother pulled into the family driveway after work early Wednesday morning. The family claims two men immediately approached, armed with a gun and demanding his car. The brother managed to fight them off, ran into the house and came back out firing his gun.

"If somebody did that to your family you will retaliate the best way you know how," said Barlow.

After a shootout with the alleged robbers, the two brothers called police. When police arrived, Barlow says things got out of hand with the officers and his innocent dog paid the tragic price.

Barlow said, "One grabs me in the head lock and starts punching me in the face."

Mother Dwana Barlow said, "The police officer wouldn't even let me go to the bathroom... and held me hostage in my own house."

While being wrestled to the ground by five different cops, Barlow and witnesses in the neighborhood tell us a female Prince George's County officer shot the dog in the head.

Barlow stated, "While this was going on I said 'please, don't point a gun at my dog.' I begged her. She didn't need to be involved in this. She was in the yard."

But Barlow was arrested and charged with multiple crimes, including insulting an officer. Police say the officer acted appropriately when shooting the dog.

Neighbor Barbara Wells said, "The dog did not attack anyone. He never approached anyone. Even as the officers grabbed Sterling the dog didn't do anything."

Police spent hours Wednesday searching for the full police report. Around 10:30 p.m. Wednesday, police called ABC 7 News on the phone and confirmed that an officer did shoot and kill the dog out of self defense. There will be a police investigation but that officer will not be placed on administrative leave.

The alleged robbers have not been found.

Original article can be found here: http://www.tbd.com/articles/2010/09/family-outraged-after-officer-shoots-dog-13692.html

Okay, this is just wrong. She shot the dog basically for doing nothing. I laugh at her for saying that he "posed a threat". HAHAHAHAHA!!!!! WHAT threat?! >.> That'd be like me sitting in my room, and someone come in and shoot me because I "posed a threat". Seriously? Are they THAT idiotic that they have to shoot dogs because of "safety issues" and because of a stupid "threat". That dog posed NO threat! Like, at all. She shot him just because she could!

You're referring to one news article. You don't have the whole story. It would be unwise to make judgments until you know more about the situation. As far as the news article goes, it is quite possible that the dog proved to be a threat. Until we know otherwise, don't condemn the police.

When police arrived, Barlow says things got out of hand with the officers
"Out of hand" here /may/ mean that the brothers didn't follow the commands of the police. The police are authorized to issue commands in order to make the situation safe for them and others involved--it is standard operating procedure. In fact, if the brothers didn't cooperate, that would explain why one ended up in a headlock. Also, if the dog were protective, it may have tried to defend its owner--which would explain why the police shot it--they perceived it as a threat to them, which it was.

This is a theoretical situation--I'm not saying this happened, but it's a possibility. On the other hand, its possible the police abused their authority for no reason--or its also possible that another completely different situation occurred.

Guest HopelessDreamer
You're referring to one news article. You don't have the whole story. It would be unwise to make judgments until you know more about the situation. As far as the news article goes, it is quite possible that the dog proved to be a threat. Until we know otherwise, don't condemn the police.

"Out of hand" here /may/ mean that the brothers didn't follow the commands of the police. The police are authorized to issue commands in order to make the situation safe for them and others involved--it is standard operating procedure. In fact, if the brothers didn't cooperate, that would explain why one ended up in a headlock. Also, if the dog were protective, it may have tried to defend its owner--which would explain why the police shot it--they perceived it as a threat to them, which it was.

This is a theoretical situation--I'm not saying this happened, but it's a possibility. On the other hand, its possible the police abused their authority for no reason--or its also possible that another completely different situation occurred.

Okay, number one "it" had a name. >.> HIS name was Mercedes. Number two: The dog did not look like he posed a threat. I doubt he did at all, really. If he did, then I'm posing a threat by sitting at my fricking laptop. =) So they should just straight-up come in and shoot me too! How are they to say whether he "posed a threat" or not?! Labs are very sweet dogs. Some can be mean, yes. But from the picture, he looked sweet. Needless to say, my faith in humanity has gone down more.

It's now at 50%.

Guest HopelessDreamer

Yes, it does. And, it is sad... To an extent.

Okay, number one "it" had a name. >.> HIS name was Mercedes. Number two: The dog did not look like he posed a threat. I doubt he did at all, really. If he did, then I'm posing a threat by sitting at my fricking laptop. =) So they should just straight-up come in and shoot me too! How are they to say whether he "posed a threat" or not?! Labs are very sweet dogs. Some can be mean, yes. But from the picture, he looked sweet. Needless to say, my faith in humanity has gone down more.

It's now at 50%.

Very well, Mercedes had a name. Looks don't really count--someone or something can be as sweet-looking as syrup and still pose a threat. All I'm saying is that it could have happened. If it turns out that the story is right, then the officers should be punished for overstepping their authority. If not . . . well, that's that.

Guest HopelessDreamer

Yeah... He HAD one. Until he was shot for no reason. And, that is true. Still, though. >.> "that's that"? "That's that" is not applicable to me. "That's that" is for someone who likes to give up. I don't like to give up, especially on animal abuse/cruelty cases. And I won't give up. Ever. 30 years from now, I see me doing the exact same thing I'm doing now: Working with and taking care of homeless/abused animals. (Dogs and cats, specifically.)

Yeah... He HAD one. Until he was shot for no reason. And, that is true. Still, though. >.> "that's that"? "That's that" is not applicable to me. "That's that" is for someone who likes to give up. I don't like to give up, especially on animal abuse/cruelty cases. And I won't give up. Ever. 30 years from now, I see me doing the exact same thing I'm doing now: Working with and taking care of homeless/abused animals. (Dogs and cats, specifically.)

There's nothing to show (yet) that this was animal abuse. As I said before, /you don't have the full story yet/. Wait and see first.

Guest HopelessDreamer

I've had enough to know that he did not pose a threat. :|

If you weren't there, how could you POSSIBLY know he didn't pose a threat?

Oh, and it was a rottweiler mix. :3 Not a lab. Jussayin. Rottweilers are my favorite kind of dog, but even I realize that a ticked off rott can be pretty "threatening."

Oh, and it was a rottweiler mix. :3 Not a lab. Jussayin. Rottweilers are my favorite kind of dog, but even I realize that a ticked off rott can be pretty "threatening."

They do have that reputation--and at least a few, for whatever reason, have that tendency.

because dogs are innocent and humans are the evil ones. and how dare you say dogs are threatening, you just dont understand them, no one understands them except for me and my kind -howls-

41789_141059825927154_4295_q.jpg

because dogs are innocent and humans are the evil ones. and how dare you say dogs are threatening, you just dont understand them, no one understands them except for me and my kind -howls-

Please . . . no insulting anyone.

Please . . . no insulting anyone.

Indeedly.

I'm watching this thread for obvious reasons—just as advanced warning.

This is sad yes. But maybe the dog posed a threat to the police officers or the police over stepped their athourity. How are we supposed to truelly know if we were never there?

Guest HopelessDreamer

"Bully breeds" are so misunderstood.

I have had just about enough of your little smart alec remarks toward dogs! You don't KNOW how much I feel connected to them! No one does! And don't you dare mock my Therianthropy! It is what I feel, okay?! No non-therian will ever understand what I feel and experience. (I.E.: The phantom and mental shifts) If you are going to act like this EVERY friggin' time I post a comment, then please block/hide my posts. I cannot deal with you and your rude comments when I have BETTER things to worry about. >.> So get over it! You will not change me, and don't you DARE mock me! That's when you get hurt. =)

truth be told dogs are quite dangerous especially is they are posing a threat its like a horse when there ears are pointing backwards you know not to go near them

and maddie if you were sat in the corner with a gun then obviously people are going to think your posing a threat

Guest HopelessDreamer
truth be told dogs are quite dangerous especially is they are posing a threat its like a horse when there ears are pointing backwards you know not to go near them

and maddie if you were sat in the corner with a gun then obviously people are going to think your posing a threat

Alright, number 1: Dogs are not dangerous. Not if they have not been taught to be aggressive. Number 2: Yes, that is true. But they shouldn't shoot just because I am doing nothing! Is that why they shot Mercedes? Was because he had teeth? What is WRONG with people? Good gosh!

madide not everyone is as enthuastic about animals as you maybe this dog was aggresive we dont know all the information its just what people have been told or seen.and horses and not usually agressive but why do they slam into each other?

there is nothing wrong with me maddie i do like animals but if they do something wrong like humans they need to be punished

Dogs, even very nice ones, just snap sometimes. We don't have the whole story and don't even try to tell me that you can tell it was a good dog just by looking at it. My friend watched a dog with no history of hurting a fly maul a cat to death the other day. Instincts kick in.

Dogs, even very nice ones, just snap sometimes. We don't have the whole story and don't even try to tell me that you can tell it was a good dog just by looking at it. My friend watched a dog with no history of hurting a fly maul a cat to death the other day. Instincts kick in.

agreed 100% agreed

Guest HopelessDreamer
madide not everyone is as enthuastic about animals as you maybe this dog was aggresive we dont know all the information its just what people have been told or seen.and horses and not usually agressive but why do they slam into each other?

there is nothing wrong with me maddie i do like animals but if they do something wrong like humans they need to be punished

Well, they should be. I've never seen a horse "slam into"" another horse... O.o xD Yes, they do. But not by being shot for doing absolutely nothing!

What breed of dog was it? And babe, you don't even know the connection that I have with them. Don't try to question it, either.

What breed of dog was it? And babe, you don't even know the connection that I have with them. Don't try to question it, either.

Ehh not sure. Bulldog possibly. I get that they're not the nicest breed but they had all the dog's records and that behavior was so out of character for it. The cat was really nice too and didn't do anything to provoke it. The dog just broke free from the person walking it and attacked.

No need to sarcastically call me babe :thumbup:

Guest HopelessDreamer
maddie you could be only gettin half the story

I just posted what was in the article.

Ehh not sure. Bulldog possibly. I get that they're not the nicest breed but they had all the dog's records and that behavior was so out of character for it. The cat was really nice too and didn't do anything to provoke it. The dog just broke free from the person walking it and attacked.

No need to sarcastically call me babe :thumbup:

Bulldogs are nice dogs, but should be supervised with small children and other animals. Also, please call the dog by the appropriate gender. Referring to a dog or cat ( or any animal, for that matter) as an ""it" reduces to mere property, something to be used and then thrown away.