Sign in to follow this  
ColdWarKids

5 albums that shaped your taste in music

Doesn't necessarily mean your 5 favorite albums!!

You can explain if you want to.

1. Bloc Party - Silent Alarm

Started listening to alternative music

2. Brand New - The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me

Made me start to pay a whole lot more attention to lyrics, and made me fall in love with Brand New

3. Joy Division - The Best of Joy Division

I started to listen to older music a lot more

4. mewithoutYou - Catch For Us the Foxes

Probably the most unique music I had ever heard at that age, and kind of up there with Bloc Party it made me listen to more indie/alternative stuff

5. Blink 182 - self titled

This was before the other 4, but it got me listening to music outside the Christian and top 40 (I know some of their songs were top 40 but shhhh) realm

1. Demon Hunter - Storm The Gates Of Hell.

Got me addicted to Metal.

2. The Classic Crime - Albatross.

It made me realize that there was more than jus' CCM. :) And it's epic.

3. As I Lay Dying - An Ocean Between Us.

I donno why, I just love it.

4. Fireflight - For Those Who Wait.

This album is the reason why Fireflight is no longer in my top ten. :3

5. Kids In The Way - Apparitions Of Melody.

This is one of the greatest albums ever, jus' sayin'.

1. Songs About Jane- Maroon 5

Lent to me by a friend determined to get me into "modern" music. He succeeded, at least with a couple of songs.

2. Gladiator- Hans Zimmer

Kindled my love for soundtracks.

3. Monty Python Sings- Monty Python

The first music I found that shared my black sense of humour.

4. Liberation Transmission- Lostprophets

The album that first got me "into" a specific band.

5. Fallen- Evanescence

Proof to me that many modern artists ARE actually musical.

1. mewithoutYou: Brother, Sister

Like what Kayla said, mwY was the most unique (and heck, may even still be) group I'd ever heard. I had no idea that style of music existed, and--having listened to little else beyond Casting Crowns or Skillet--it was a breath of fresh air.

2. Kamelot: Epica (And the Black Halo, but I haven't listened to that one quite as much.)

I didn't know albums could connect and form a story, with real characters, a plot, ect. Particularly such a lovely, meaningful one. And again, it was a sort of music that I wasn't used to.

3. Showbread: Age of Reptiles

Proved to me that good Christian artists CAN sing songs about zombies. :3 (Granted, I had heard "Dead By Dawn" before listening to this album, but whatever.) Once again, Showbread was waaaay different than anything else I have heard. Although, this album was probably a bit tamer than saaay, "No Sir, Nihilism is Not Practical". So, the screaming (which I wasn't used to) didn't freak me out all that much.

4. Artic Monkeys: Favourite Worst Nightmare

First British artists I've ever gotten. First cussword in an album for me. ^_^; Also, mindblowingly-unique for me.

5. Uhhhhh...

This is reserved to randomly squeeze in The Silver Cord (by the Classic Crime), Hello Hurricane (Switchfoot), and Cities (Anberlin) as marvelous albums that had a real impact for me, despite being at least slightly related to the stuff I'd listened to most of my life. :3

SHOUTOUT TO FOOFER, WHO ACTUALLY WAS WIDELY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE MAJORITY OF THIS POST!!!!

(Specifically, 1, 3, 4, and most of 5. xD )

1. mewithoutYou: Brother, Sister

Like what Kayla said, mwY was the most unique (and heck, may even still be) group I'd ever heard. I had no idea that style of music existed, and--having listened to little else beyond Casting Crowns or Skillet--it was a breath of fresh air.

2. Kamelot: Epica (And the Black Halo, but I haven't listened to that one quite as much.)

I didn't know albums could connect and form a story, with real characters, a plot, ect. Particularly such a lovely, meaningful one. And again, it was a sort of music that I wasn't used to.

3. Showbread: Age of Reptiles

Proved to me that good Christian artists CAN sing songs about zombies. :3 (Granted, I had heard "Dead By Dawn" before listening to this album, but whatever.) Once again, Showbread was waaaay different than anything else I have heard. Although, this album was probably a bit tamer than saaay, "No Sir, Nihilism is Not Practical". So, the screaming (which I wasn't used to) didn't freak me out all that much.

4. Artic Monkeys: Favourite Worst Nightmare

First British artists I've ever gotten. First cussword in an album for me. ^_^; Also, mindblowingly-unique for me.

5. Uhhhhh...

This is reserved to randomly squeeze in The Silver Cord (by the Classic Crime), Hello Hurricane (Switchfoot), and Cities (Anberlin) as marvelous albums that had a real impact for me, despite being at least slightly related to the stuff I'd listened to most of my life. :3

SHOUTOUT TO FOOFER, WHO ACTUALLY WAS WIDELY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE MAJORITY OF THIS POST!!!!

(Specifically, 1, 3, 4, and most of 5. xD )

This warms my heart. ^_^ Especially that last part. ;D

I'd have to say

1) "Step Up To the Microphone" - The Newsboys.

This was the first thing I ever heard that was outside of the CCM world. It got me started down the road of Christian Rock.

2) "Meltdown" - Steve Taylor

This cassette (Yes, I said CASSETTE) showed me how you could be funny and still have a meaningful message at the same time.

3) "Beyond Nature" - Phil Keaggy

This album that seduced me into guitar lessons. Easily the best decision I've ever made.

4) "Define The Great Line" - Underoath

This album shot me into the harder side of music. Almost literally. Before this, I hadn't listened to anything that had screaming in it.

5) "Caress of Steel" - Rush

This was the first album that I listened to on a turntable. I've been in love with vinyl albums ever since.

1.) In The Aeroplane Over the Sea by Neutral Milk Hotel

This album really shaped my music taste in a significant way. It turned me onto indie music that wasn't Death Cab for Cutie and opened my ears to music that was treally from the heart.

2.) Merriweather Post Pavillion by Animal Collective

This album, and this band, without a doubt truly made my music taste grow. Their bizarre, but beautiful, melodies and less-than-orthodox samples made their music unique and something I had never heard before. It took me out of my comfort zone with music and showed me something amazing and allowed me to go on and listen to more and more music I never would have listened to before. (Fun fact: I designed my sig around the album art for Merriweather Post Pavillion)

3.) Bringing it Back Homeby Bob Dylan

I never really had a taste for old music before this. I was always listening to new and recent music. This Dylan album really showed me how I needed to gain some respect for the artists who influenced some of my favorites. It's also one of my favorite albums in general.

4.)Fevers and Mirrors by Bright Eyes

Prior to falling in love with Conor Oberst's beautiful lyrics, I had never appreciated the effort put into making a lyrically good song. Not only did this album shape how I viewed lyrics, it also turned me onto writing poems of my own.

5.) Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) by Wu-Tang Clan

Phenomenal rap album, really changed how ignorant I was when it came to good rap. I used to hate rap and this album really made me realize how clever and interesting it is.

I've actually thought about this in the past, I've always wanted to make a "Five Albums that Changed My Life" blog. xD

1. The Question by Emery

Really, before I heard this album, I wasn't huge into music, I just listened to some random Christian bands. But this album showed me that bands don't all sound the same, that screaming can be used effectively (though I rarely listen to screaming music anymore) and I gained interest in music.

2. Hail to the Thief by Radiohead

This is the first album I listened to by Radiohead, and I was absolutely amazed that music so original existed. It basically made me more open minded about music.

3. Agaetis Byrjun by Sigur Ros

What HTTT did for my openmindedness, this album just multiplied it. I grew interested in looking for beauty in music after hearing this album.

4. Re: Package by Livetune

Rarely do you come across an album so seamless as Re: Package. It's original, masterful, upbeat house/techno pop music with singing and a spacey atmosphere, and despite the genre description, it's totally original. After listening to this album, I've written many songs directly inspired by what Livetune created. This is an album anyone should listen to at least once in their lifetimes, because it truly is the only album I've listened to that I consider perfect.

5. Amezakura by Tryezz

Tryezz is an independent electro funk/jazz/hip hop/whatever artist who releases his music online, and everything he does is so incredible, with such a personal touch to it. This album in particular is filled with instrumental hip hop songs, all of them with both traditional Japanese and jazzy flavors to them. And from what it sounds like, I don't believe he used a single sample while creating it. It made me realize that hip hop has some good music in it, and got me into artists like Uyama Hiroto, Nujabes, and DJ Okawari, all who create music in a (somewhat) similar genre and do an amazing job at it.

1. The Joshua Tree - U2

Introduced to me by way of my brother. Shaped my tastes of Music for years to come.

2. Supertones Strike Back - The Orange County Supertones

Introduced me to Ska, again by way of my brother (you'll find that a lot). Liked Ska ever since

3. Meteora - Linkin Park

Again by way of my brother. Track #12 Titled "Session" started my interest in Electronic music

4. Above - Pillar

Left at home by my brother when he went off to College. This started my journey into the Christian Rock music scene.

5. Frail - Jars of Clay

My first Jars of Clay CD. I listened to this CD more times then I can count.

In chronological order.

1. The Ultimate Experience - Jimi Hendrix

Moved away from pop music and began listening to classic rock.

2. Scenes From A Memory - Dream Theater

Progressive metal/rock dominated my life for a while.

3. In Rainbows - Radiohead

FINALLY started appreciating artists and the art they make. Transition to indie music.

4. Late Registration - Kanye West

First rap album I ever really loved. Kanye's music got me into rap in general.

5. Bitte Orca - Dirty Projectors

Since this album, I'm always looking for new music and constantly listening to music. <3

1) Jesus Freak - dc Talk :

DC Talk, in my opinion, are the founding fathers of "good" CCM. I didn't think there was good 'Christian Music' out there until I heard their stuff and I was like, "WHOA!" It was the first of three Christian albums I bought (the other two were Redemption Songs - Jars of Clay and Adoration - Newsboys. Also good albums).

2) X&Y - Coldplay :

I'll never forget the first time I heard "Speed of Sound" on the radio, then rushing out to buy the album, and listening to it for the first time. Love it, love it.

3) Twilight - Future of Forestry:

I found them on purevolume back in the day and fell. in. love. I'm now their biggest fans that has never been to a live show. Lol! I love FOF because they led me to discover Credential Recordings, which led me to discover other bands like: The Dizmas, Seabird, Lost Ocean, Edison Glass, Turn of the Stars = all bands I absolutely love!

4) It's Pronounced Five Two - KJ-52:

Yeah, this dude's album got me into Christian Rap, I think. Yes, I think Christian Hip-Hop is cool!

5) MUTEMATH's self-titled debut :

Just... an epic album, really. And their concerts are so energetic! Maybe they were the ones who got me into checking out the whole underground talent thing... I don't know. All I know is it's one of the best CDs I own.

---------- Post added at 03:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 PM ----------

1. The Joshua Tree - U2
That is a good one for me, too. I should have added it. Oh well!

fearless-yvonne lyon

i saw this woman lice and some of the songs she wrote were beautiful

another side-john barrowman

i love my musicals and west end stuff and i love him

young and the hopeless-good charlotte

one of my erm attempts was to one of there songs so it brings alot of memories back

i couldnt have said it better-meatloaf

the great divide -scott strapp

noise ratchet - till we have faces

headnoise - no compromise

x- los angeles

gang of four - entertainment!

sleeping giant - dread champions of the last days

hmm, roughly chonologically...

1) One O'Clock Jump - Count Basie

Loved this stuff as a kid. I mostly had compilation albums of big band stuff. Chose this album for the list fairly randomly over Ellington, Glen Miller and a nice Sammy Nestico arranged compilation. And I still play a fair bit of this stuff in our jazz band.

2) Sultans of Swing - Dire Straits

Its a compilation of all their good everythings ever. From when I was 10yrs old not really listening to anything other than Jazz and comedy, but even though Mark Knoffler can't sing to save his nuts just the way he almost spoke through the guitar had me.

3) Jack Johnson - On and On

The first time I actually listened to recent music around about as if came out. Has been the my favourite roadtrip album pretty much ever since. For some reason though I can't get into any other JJ (even though it all is really, really similar) but I know every song on this album by heart.

4) The Cat Empire - The Cat Empire

DEM HECTIK BRASS RIFF. One of the first bands I saw live with an amazing sound and lineup which is almost impossible to categorise. Wikipedia would suggest that they are one or a combination of Indie, Rock, Ska, Jazz, Latin, Reggae and Alternative Rock yet they don't even have a guitar.

5) Innerspeaker - Tame Impala

I Kinda realised that from the rest of my list the most recent album was 2003 so trying to give an overview of where I am now, just couldn't think of any really standout albums for the time in between. Most of all what happened was Triple J. But Triple J is a radio station not an album, so I put this instead because it received a decent amount of airplay on jjj and is probably my favorite album this year.

In between I liked orocular spectacular by MGMT a whole lot but it isn't as pretty in hindsight, also got into some radiohead and neutral milk hotel and as well as a whole heap of acid and nu-jazz aided by some Gilles Petersen compilations.

I listen to Triple J I'm so indie.

Just like every other indie kid in Australia.

Just as I think of them...

1. Unbreakable - Fireflight

Got me into the heavier stuff and helped me develop a better passion for the guitar.

2. Transform - Rebecca St. James

I think she was the first artist I really loved as a kid and I didn't stop listening to this album for years. (Although I never listen to it now. XD)

3. Hello Hurricane - Switchfoot

Well really all of the Switchfoot albums I have (which is currently every one but Legend of Chin) because I sort of learned more about music I guess. They really know what they're doing and I can learn a lot from them.

4. Crystal Clear - Jaci Velasquez

Kinda the same thing as Rebecca St. James. I also never listen to it.

5. Beauty from Pain - Superchick

Got me on to Superchick and developed a more spiritual angle for me when I was like 10.

There's probably better ones that I could've thought of had I more time but these are pretty accurate.

Let's see... in no particular order:

1) Ghost Opera - Kamelot

Probably the first band/album to get me hooked on metal.

2) To Lose My Life - White Lies

Introduced me to the indie rock genre (outside of The Killers)

3) Hot Fuss - The Killers

The first time I realized that I liked rock music.

4) Fever - Bullet for My Valentine

Got me hooked on screamo. Chyeeaah.

5) Uhh.... Jurassic Park soundtrack?

I started appreciating orchestral music at the age of three, when I heard John Williams' work :)

3. Hello Hurricane - Switchfoot

Well really all of the Switchfoot albums I have (which is currently every one but Legend of Chin) because I sort of learned more about music I guess. They really know what they're doing and I can learn a lot from them.

=O Legend of Chin is their best album! It really is.

Here are mine :):

1. Queen- "A Day at the Races"

"Sombody to Love", 'nuff said

2. Wicked Sountrack

3. Britt Nicole- "The Lost Get Found"

First Christian band to catch my eye. Awesome

4. Giuseppe Verdi Rigoletto [opera] w/ Tito Gobbi and Maria Callas

My best friend Patrick introduced me to opera through this CD. Some of the most beautiful music ever written :)

5. Elton John- "Madman Across the Water"

I <3 Tiny Dancer

1. I Hate Kate- Embrace the Curse

Lyrics are awesome and they have a perfect combination of keyboard/techno and rock.

2. Impending Doom- There Will Be Violence

Band that really got me into metal.

3. A Day to Remember-Homesick

Broadened my horizons in terms of music.

4. As I Lay Dying- Frail Words Collapse

First hard rock band I listened to.

5. Bliss n Eso- Flying Colours

My friend introduced me to rap and these guys are awesome.

1. Coldplay - Viva La Vida/Prospekt's March

This really made me realize the emotions music can stir up inside someone, a really beautiful album in my opinion.

2. Minitel Rose - Atlantique

Beautiful album by a very recently formed indie band from France, the beats and lyrics just make you have nice images in your head while listening to it.

3. Run DMC - Greatest Hits

Pretty self explanatory, the lyrics are very different from what you hear in most rap nowadays, and sometimes pretty funny.

4. Dan Le Sac vs Scroobius Pip - The Logic of Chance

Not one less than great song on this album in my opinion, the lyrics are out of this world, "Pippy" has some real talent.

5. Alien Ant Farm - ANThology

Some of the deepest punk music you'll ever hear, their more popular songs give the wrong first impression of their music.

1. Underoath - Cries of the Past

Got me into more extreme metal. Before I was mostly only into post-hardcore and metalcore, but this got me loving death metal and all its sub genres.

2. mewithoutYou - Brother, Sister

This really got me into more indie and alternative rock, which I wasn't really into before.

3. Pendulum - Hold Your Colour

Got me into drum and bass, and electronica. Before I didn't like pretty much any electronic type music, now its got a prominent place in my music library.

Can't really think of two more.......

Um....yes.

Problem...?

5. Bliss n Eso- Flying Colours

My friend introduced me to rap and these guys are awesome.

:punk:

1: Levi/Werstler: Got me in to metal.

2: Zero Order Phase -Jeff Loomis: The second metal album I purchased.

3: All three Coronatus albums: Got me in to symphonic metal.

4: Once -Nightwish: The premier symphonic metal album ever released, and my current favorite album.