Welcome back to the Christian Teen Forums. We have been upgrading our forum software and it took a lot longer than originally anticipated. Thank you for your patience.

We are still working to bring some add-on features back, so it will be a continued work-in-progress. If you have any questions, feel free to post and ask away. 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cain

Best Exercise: What's yours?

44 posts in this topic

So, I decided to do this because I have always said this. The best overall exercise I have ever done in my lifetime, is the Ab Wheel (Ab Roller).

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/ab-roller

It is a amazing exercise. It works out a lot of muscles (mainly the Abs obviously) and you can do a LOT of reps on it for endurance and strength. I guarantee you, go to any gym, get those big buff guys, I doubt they can do 10 sets of 10. Why? It works the body, and uses so many muscles, especially the stabilizers. I guarantee you, incorporate this into your workouts, and you will gain on everything, especially core strength and flexibility, if done correctly.

I pledge to this exercise, I found it in Boxing, and to this day, still kills my upper abs (currently in pain, did the Ab workout I posted, +40 more of these).

So, what is the best exercise overall in your opinion?

Running

Great for cardio and overall fitness

preferably with a ball of the spherical/oval variety to chase and someone to kick it into.

Running

Great for cardio and overall fitness

preferably with a ball of the spherical/oval variety to chase and someone to kick it into.

I hate running lol. I mean, I have to do it for fitness, but I hate it so much lol. It is a great cardio exercise though.

Cardio. Particularly dance (hip-hop). It doesn't feel like you're really exercising, it's a lot of fun and you burn a ton of calories, plus you work out muscles you never knew you had. That said, I would suggest taking it slow at first. lol That combined with a bit of weight training is what I usually do.

Swimming. The power and smoothness of an efficient stroke is awesome. You don't get sweaty and it isn't as hard on your muscles and joints then other activities.

It takes time to get to a point where it is worthwhile though and it is time consuming and expensive.

Dancing and swimming.

Even DDR can be fun, you don't even realise you're working out but yet you can burn up to 600 calories an hour. I played it a lot this summer whenever I was bored, and it was fun, but also helped me lose quite a bit of weight. I also like swimming because it's relaxing, especially if you're alone, and you don't feel warm or gross or sweaty. (Atleast I don't.)

WEIGHT TRAINING! hehe :P

There's nothing like having a good session and feeling really pumped after.

If it's for muscle growth in the upper body, I can say pull-ups and push-ups are the most effective if done correctly with different techniques.

If it's for muscle growth in the mid section, regular crunches (NOT SIT-UPS, THEY ONLY WORK MOST ON YOUR HIPS) and cross crunches are the most effective if done correctly.

If it's for muscle growth in the lower body, I can say doing squats and calf raises.

If it's for reinforcing the lower back (WHICH IS SO IMPORTANT), I can say doing planks are the best. Also doing the superman on your belly helps allot.

Cardio = Fat loss:

Any sport that makes you move constantly.

If it's for muscle growth in the upper body, I can say pull-ups and push-ups are the most effective if done correctly with different techniques.

Those are good, especially for muscle endurance but I wouldn't say they're the best for muscle growth or strength for that matter. Pull-ups combined with a vast workout of bar bell curls, lateral pull downs etc will give you the best results.

Well, like I wrote, if you do them with different techniques and properly, you will get the results.

I don't think there is anything that can work out pretty much your whole upper body than doing pull ups.

Yeah I agree it's definitely a great exercise and works your arms and back. However, you won't ever join a gym and be given a training routine by a personal trainer consisting of only pull up exercises hehe :P

At school I go to kickboxing classes several times a week at the local gym. I'm usually in pain the next day, but it's so fun and keeps me in good shape. :D It's basically choreographed kicking and punching with weights to fun music.

Personally for cardio you cant beat running. For best overall muscle workout good ol push ups are great and if your going to the Airforce (looking at your avatar) thats all you will be doing running, push ups, and using pull up bars. Have Fun!