Welcome back to the Christian Teen Forums. We have been upgrading our forum software and it took a lot longer than originally anticipated. Thank you for your patience.

We are still working to bring some add-on features back, so it will be a continued work-in-progress. If you have any questions, feel free to post and ask away. 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bagofsheep

Why does God need human love?

I am not presenting the existence nor the nonexistence of God, I just have a simple question; why does a supreme, super-intelligent, omnipotent universe-creating mega-being need love from the human race?

God does not need human love. God invites us to love Him because that is how we can experience true joy and happiness. God commands us to love Him because we will never be truly happy otherwise. He order us to do this because He needs it, he orders us to do this because we need it.

Yeah, God doesn't need our praise. The bible expressly states this, but I'm at a loss to find the verse right now. I apologize. As colinisreptar said, we are the ones who need to love Him. As cars run on gasoline, we were designed to run on God. He knows the happiest we will ever be is when we are with Him...even if we don't. This is what He pursues.

The reason we love God is because He loved us first. (1 John 4:19)

If God doesn't need us to love him, then why do we have to burn in Hell for eternity if we don't? The first four commandments are spent on God's vanity.

As said above, God doesn't need our love. He desires it, though. He created us in order to love us. We will live up to our full potential if we're with God, loving Him. He wants us to be the best that we can be. We're designed to love Him and be the best we can be in Him.

If God doesn't need us to love him, then why do we have to burn in Hell for eternity if we don't? The first four commandments are spent on God's vanity.

We don't spend an eternity in Hell just because we don't love God, we spend an eternity in Hell because of our sinfulness and our lack of repenting for those sins; turning to the Lord.

Aside: Don't confuse Judaism with Christianity. We follow the commandments, but our salvation does not revolve around them (e.g. the parable of the rich young ruler).

To the topic at hand. People go to hell because they want to. I wanted to go to hell before God gave me new desires. I wanted absolutely NOTHING to do with God before becoming a Christian. Thus, He is a good Father and would have given me what I desired - nothing to do with Him (i.e. hell).

When God knows that there is no lasting joy without Him, and He wants to give everyone joy, of course He aches when we don't love Him.

I usually compare God's decision to create with a couple's decision to have a baby. Done for the right reasons, it's because of their love. They have so much love that they want to shower their love on someone else, so they have a child. The child is the manifestation of their love, made in their image.

Similarly, we are the manifestations of God's love, made in His image. He loves us more than any earthly parent loves their child. He knows what's best for us better than any earthly parent does for their child. He knows our hopes and dreams and inmost thoughts better than any earthly parent for their child.

Because of this, when we're on a path that leads to destruction, He aches for us, because He feels our future pain. (You know what's that like, when someone you love is in pain, or making bad decisions?)

Just like for a good pair of earthly parents, they will discipline their children, but when they're grown up and able to make their own decisions, the parents will let the child make those decisions, even if they're bad. (Though they will warn, instruct, etc, as long as they are allowed to). They will never stop loving their creation, but if their child stops loving them, they hurt for both themselves and the child's choices. I can imagine it's liek that with God, He's our Father and He loves us so much more than anything. He basically created us to love us.

Yet, in order for God to love us, He has to give us free choice (or that's what any good Arminian would say). Otherwise there's no way we would enjoy being His. We certainly couldn't love Him and everything He stands for. Which leads into the hell question. Personally, I believe that the "wicked" (aka those who hate God and everything He stands for, peopel who would persistently rebel or be dissatisfied in heaven, and would endanger the rest of humanity for another "fall") would die at the end of time, simply be wiped out so that they have no more pain or existence.

Oh and Just so you know, this is some Biblical support for annihilationism, or the destruction of the wicked.

It's been a while since this question appeared in 2011 it's now 2017. I've read most of the replies. It seems that a definitive answer has not been given. The closest answer I can give is this, God is looking for beings who can love him on the same level as God loves us. So I guess the real question is why does God require this from us. We know that we are specially made in his image, but why do we have to live up to this standard. I am also puzzled. I will continue to search scripture to find a solid answer. If anyone knows where it says this in the bible I would be overjoyed to see it. Until then I will pray and study scripture until a real answer is found.

Best Wishes

On 2/25/2011 at 7:28 PM, Bagofsheep said:

I am not presenting the existence nor the nonexistence of God, I just have a simple question; why does a supreme, super-intelligent, omnipotent universe-creating mega-being need love from the human race?

Like how we humans desire the love of someone else I believe that God is the same way. Take for instance the lord allowed for lucifer to have his own will along with the fallen angels making them choose either to be with god or against, the same applies for us he wants us to love him willingly. So God created humans so that he proves that there are those that will love him to matter what in a sense i believe that this is to prove that he doesn't force anyone to love him but accepts anyone that repents truly from their sins. If you find an answer in scripture please be sure to post it as i would love to study it.