Welcome to Christian Teen Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Arabs See Jewish Conspiracy in Pokemon

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

SaintPeter

SaintPeter

Member - 1Ker

• 4,251 posts

CAIRO — Eight-year-old Abdel Mohsen Medwahi lived for Pokemon. Pokemon trading cards. Pokemon comic books. Pokemon clothing. Pokemon toys. Everything and anything Pokemon.

So it stunned his father, Omar, when the boy solemnly reported the troubling news he had just heard from friends: " 'Pokemon' means 'There is no God in the universe.' "

As a faithful Muslim in Saudi Arabia, a devoutly Muslim country, Omar Medwahi decided to check up on the seemingly harmless make-believe creatures. He called the local Pokemon distributor, who reassured him that Pokemon was short for "pocket monster" and had no religious connotation.

And that would have been the end of it in the Medwahi household. But the rumor took hold, and spread, until Saudi Arabia's top religious authority issued an outright ban, saying Pokemon promotes anti-Islamic behavior--and is suspiciously Jewish. Pokemon was stripped from store shelves, cartons arriving at local ports were turned away, orders were canceled, and schools set up collection points to turn in clothing decorated with Pokemon figures.

Saudi Arabia's response may seem extreme, but its outrage is hardly unique. Pokemon has become a target of religious leaders throughout the Arab world who charge that the game promotes theories of evolution, encourages gambling and, at its core, is part of a Jewish conspiracy aimed at turning children away from Islam.

Despite denials of an anti-Islam bias from Nintendo, the Japanese manufacturer of the cards and electronic games, Muslim leaders in Oman, Qatar, Dubai, Jordan and Egypt have also said Pokemon is religiously unacceptable. Japanese embassies throughout the region have received inquiries from parents and officials who had heard that Pokemon was Japanese for "I am a Jew."

That the issue has erupted into a firestorm in the Arab world tells much about the climate in the region, where tensions between Arabs and Jews are at least as bad as they have ever been, where traditional Arab governments are increasingly worried about cultural assimilation with the West and where rumor is often more powerful than reality.

The Pokemon issue has its roots in the same frustrations experienced by parents everywhere. Children became obsessed with the game, taking the trading cards to school, staying glued to the television program, pestering parents to purchase Pokemon items. But religious faith is so central to everyday life here that social issues automatically become filtered through the religious establishment.

http://articles.lati...4/news/mn-54861
:lol:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
'the fascists of the future will be called the "anti fascists" - - Winston G Churchill

ask me questions
http://www.formspring.me/arvoreen

-L-

-L-

Member - 1Ker

• 3,147 posts
It's all becoming clear now....

Posted Image

Bobartles

Bobartles

Member - Wise One

• 784 posts
This is utterly onixceptable.
"When you can't run, you crawl. When you can't crawl, you find someone to carry you."

ShieldOfFaith

ShieldOfFaith

Member - 10Ker

• 21,757 posts
wow I dont know what to say

CTF's Offical Emperor of Spam
Posted Image

Related to 99.9% of CTF
Surfer Buddy: Lauren <3 Best Friend: Johnna<3
---
You have been tagged. Boredests are always cool and worthy of taggage.- NoelKt5
Your request, my dear. You are a truly nice and awesome person and I am glad I met you, Evan. =) -Bre
God is going to use in such big ways! You, my friend, are totally worthy of a sig tag! -Jordayy
HAHA! Revenge is sweet! >:] -Faith
Also, I love My Little Pony. <3 It's better than toast. <---WHO DID THIS!?!? CONFESS! >:o
I luff you,Fuzzle Face. <3<3<3
Evan, you are an Awesome Guy. I'm glad I've had the chance to get to know you! ~Haley<3
--
"Why would you say Hi to evan? He's weird."-Pointer

My Blog <3

Talek

Talek

Member - Wise One

• 634 posts
Posted Image

... so jewish

Yves

Yves

Member - 5Ker

• 5,345 posts
What other religious group saw a similar conspiracy associated with Pokemon...

b6y03k.png

SaintPeter

SaintPeter

Member - 1Ker

• 4,251 posts

What other religious group saw a similar conspiracy associated with Pokemon...

idk?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
'the fascists of the future will be called the "anti fascists" - - Winston G Churchill

ask me questions

cheeseisthenewpurple

cheeseisthenewpurple

Member - 1Ker

• 3,830 posts
Does anyone have a reset the world button nearby?

Yves

Yves

Member - 5Ker

• 5,345 posts
There was a controversy a while back where Christians who condemn Harry Potter as Satanic turned the same argument on Pokemon. I remember my aunt at the time wouldn't let her son watch me playing the game /=

here's a link from the time x'DD It's pretty hilarious.

Here are a few of my favorite excerpts:

"It seemed to us that these cards had some sort of power," continued DiAnna Brannan. "Another nine-year-boy had stolen money from his mother's purse ($7.00) to buy more cards. When questioned, he confessed and said he had heard the devil urging him to do it. The family quickly gathered in prayer, then saw God's answer. Both the boy and his little sister burned their cards, warned their friends, and discovered the joy and freedom that only comes from following their Shepherd.

Obviously, Ash didn't understand the supernatural powers he had confronted. Neither do most young Pokeman fans today. Unless they know God and His warnings, they cannot understand the forces that have captivated children around the world. And if parents underestimate the psychological strategies behind its seductive mass marketing ploys, they are likely to dismiss the Pokemon craze as harmless fun and innocent fantasy. In reality, the problem is far more complex.

To teach young children a Biblical attitude toward evil before they learn to delight in gross, ugly characters, make comments such as, "Who would want to play with that evil monster? I don't even like to look at him. Let's find something that makes us feel happy inside."

The Pokemon mania supports a financial conglomerate that knows how to feed the frenzy. The television series is free, but it drives the multi-billion dollar business. It also inspires the obsessive new games that disrupt schools and families by giving the children --

a seductive vision: to become Pokemon masters
a tempting promise: supernatural power
a new objective: keep collecting Pokemon
an urgent command: "gotta catch them all"

b6y03k.png

Deeper

Deeper

Member - 5Ker

• 8,740 posts
Yves, there are many child-geared cartoons that do contain occult numerology and folklore. It's a given that some parents and individuals will make irrelevant statements even some that are completely off the mark, but the film/cartoon industries know how to subliminally market films with occult practices in their field to very unsuspecting public. Also, you shouldn't shun a family for praying about something like Pokemon even if the son made an outlandish claim like "the devil coerced me into doing it". As ridiculous as that may sound, how many families do you know actually come together to pray about small matters, let alone big matters?

Yves

Yves

Member - 5Ker

• 5,345 posts

but the film/cartoon industries know how to subliminally market films with occult practices in their field to very unsuspecting public.

I... think that's a little paranoid. But that's Oke =3 We can disagree ^^

Also, you shouldn't shun a family for praying about something like Pokemon even if the son made an outlandish claim like "the devil coerced me into doing it"

I don't shun them. I just laugh at their overreaction to Pokemon =3

b6y03k.png

Wormwood

Wormwood

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

There was a controversy a while back where Christians who condemn Harry Potter as Satanic turned the same argument on Pokemon. I remember my aunt at the time wouldn't let her son watch me playing the game /=

HAHAHAHAHA Wow.

I think Chick tracts were bad.
1 Timothy 4:10
For it is for this we labor and strive, because we have fixed our hope on the living God, who is the Savior of all men, especially of believers.

John 17:2
2 For you granted him authority over all people that he might give eternal life to all those you have given him.

Galatians 2:20
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

cheeseisthenewpurple

cheeseisthenewpurple

Member - 1Ker

• 3,830 posts

Yves, there are many child-geared cartoons that do contain occult numerology and folklore. It's a given that some parents and individuals will make irrelevant statements even some that are completely off the mark, but the film/cartoon industries know how to subliminally market films with occult practices in their field to very unsuspecting public. Also, you shouldn't shun a family for praying about something like Pokemon even if the son made an outlandish claim like "the devil coerced me into doing it". As ridiculous as that may sound, how many families do you know actually come together to pray about small matters, let alone big matters?

Not everyone is trying to take over the world.

ebonyrose

ebonyrose

Member - 10Ker

• 11,055 posts
Hehe. It was because of Pokemon that I was raised to believe that all things Japanese were evil. xD No lie. If it was anime, I'd literally say, "That's those evil Japanese cartoons."

Good times, good times. xD

SaintPeter

SaintPeter

Member - 1Ker

• 4,251 posts

except for Satan
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ask me questions

Squishy

Squishy

Member - 1Ker

• 2,229 posts
The issue here is that pokemon is just teh best game in the world so everyone wants to play it too much =P

206gcht.jpg
Whipped by the captain 24/05 never forget

rock4god246

rock4god246

Member - 5Ker

• 6,669 posts

Does anyone have a reset the world button nearby?

How about a Staples easy button?

except for Satan

LOL

Boogles

Boogles

Member - 10Ker

• 22,031 posts
I lol'd.
Oh,I may be on the side of the angels; but don't think for one second that I am one. -Sherlock Holmes.
CONJOINED IN MUTUAL WEIRDNESSS WITH THE EVER-SO-GORGEOUS ABIDOLL. <3 <3 Matriarch of TK. Sister of NoelKT5 and Josh.

You has been tagged by the most awesomest Moderator/Counselor that CTF has ever had! Even cooler than Evan, but don't tell Evan. ~Haley<3

There, now your spawn "tags" along wherever you go. - T.K.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users