Using the Lord's name in vain?

Leahh

I have better things to do than be offended by words. I don't see why God wouldn't feel the same way.

"Oh, a silly mortal said "Oh my God!" I am soooooo mad right now, guis. You won't even believe it!"

That is my opinion of it, though I never actually blaspheme because I don't find any need for it, unlike swearing which is almost always useful somehow.

The only exception to this for me is gdamn which I just can't brig myself to say, though it doesn't really bother me when others say it.

Also, saying oh my God reminds me of airheads that say it as every other word of their sentence, and I cringe for that reason when the words occasionally slip my mouth.

I have better things to do than be offended by words. I don't see why God wouldn't feel the same way.

"Oh, a silly mortal said "Oh my God!" I am soooooo mad right now, guis. You won't even believe it!"

Would be nice if people were so disrespectful of the one who saves them , eh?

I can just imagine my girlfriend calling out, "Arrgh Kevin!" I would quickly respond, "what?" And she was never calling me, she just used my name as an expression.

This is what calling the Lord in vain is like.

"I went to school in vain" means you went to school for no reason. It was no use going to school. You didn't go for what you were supposed to go.

"I bought an extra car in vain". Same thing. Did it for no reason. Didn't work out how you planned so you ended up sacrificing yourself over nothing. It was wasted energy.

Same thing with God.

"Oh my *** I can't solve this math problem!" Again, calling God for no reason or for a simple expression is useless and a waste of energy. We're supposed to call God when we want to call God, not for some expression. Remember God can hear everything. He's Omnipresent.

Remember what I posted in the beginning. My girlfriend shouts, "KEVIN!" when she banged her knee against the coffee table. I'm like, "What?!". Then I realized she just said my name out of expression... I could go on and on...

Kevin isn't God, but he has a point.

I would never want to use my Lord's Holy Name as a filth word, to use His Holy Name when angry or suprised. Some say, "God must feel differently now and just shrugs it off", God doesn't change. It shows disrespect to the One who gave us life. The One who died, was buried, and rose again for our sins because He loved us.

I don't care if people on here think I'm to strict. When it comes to respecting God, you can't be too strict. If you must use a name to describe your anger or suprise, use something else. Don't use our Savior's name disrespectfully.

Kevin isn't God, but he has a point.

I would never want to use my Lord's Holy Name as a filth word, to use His Holy Name when angry or suprised. Some say, "God must feel differently now and just shrugs it off", God doesn't change. It shows disrespect to the One who gave us life. The One who died, was buried, and rose again for our sins because He loved us.

I don't care if people on here think I'm to strict. When it comes to respecting God, you can't be too strict. If you must use a name to describe your anger or suprise, use something else. Don't use our Savior's name disrespectfully.

How is saying "Oh my God" using his "holy name"? It's not the proper name given in the bible. "Jesus Christ" is not the proper name either.

Again, I agree with Kevin.

And we call Jehovah just God most of the times.

I disagree, I think Jesus' name is Jesus Christ. I'm not going to go in a debate about that, but I don't believe it's Yeshua or whatever else.

Even if it was, Jesus Christ still refers to our Savior and they're using His name as filth words.

I find people saying "oh my God", "Jesus Christ", or any similar connotation offensive. But of course if you're using it during a spiritual event it's perfectly fine because you are addressing Him .Thankfully here in South Africa we don't usually use these terms. It's very uncommon. But it's annoying when people on American or British TV Channels keep saying it. Definitely offensive.

Again, I agree with Kevin.

And we call Jehovah just God most of the times.

I disagree, I think Jesus' name is Jesus Christ. I'm not going to go in a debate about that, but I don't believe it's Yeshua or whatever else.

Even if it was, Jesus Christ still refers to our Savior and they're using His name as filth words.

Ah yes, let's ignore Yahweh, El Elohim, and Yeshua because they're silly ancient Hebrew and Aramaic names and the bible is *clearly* English!

Marine chaplains...they swear as much as the next Marine, I'm sure a GD may slip every once in a while.

I know that it's sinful and I repent constantly for using the Lord's name in vain. But I honestly wonder if God does indeed care anymore.

The word 'anymore', and 'God', shouldn't be used in the same sentence: "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever." (Heb 13:8) By saying you: "wonder if God cares anymore." is implying that you know He once did (care), Now that you know He doesn't change, the answer should be evident.

• 3 months later...

I believe that using the Lord's name in vain in any way (oh my G*d, G*d damned (i also believe that cussing is wrong so no intention of offending on that, im just saying an example) Oh L*rd, ect...) is absolutley WRONG. Exodus 20 clearly says "do not use the Lord's name in vain".

It is offensive. God's name is one to be respected beyond the way we respect Him now. I mean this in a Trinity sort of way. It's sad that our culture uses it and for Christians to be ok with it is even worse. Are we that complacent now days? We should be offended over it without question.

I'm kinda gonna repost an opinion here. As I sorta alluded to earlier in this thread, "using the Lord's name in vain" can mean many different things. One of them is, granted, using His name as a swear word, which is disrespectful and also the way people have pretty much always interpreted it.

But what if it means something more?

We are Christians. We are taking the Lord's name upon ourselves. When we call ourselves Christians and do not act like Christ, we are effectively taking His name in vain, we are showing that being a Christian "produces no result," is "useless." That is a greater harm to both God and fellow man than simply using His name as a curse word (which I believe is wrong, but I also believe that a whole commandment that we think is dedicated to only that needs to be reexamined)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I find "Oh My God" and "Oh Lord" used in a cursing sense offensive. Saying them correctly would be like in Psalms "O Lord God almighty...." etc. etc.

Like the "billboard" mentioned previously, curse yourself not God.

If it is someone else just follow these wise lyrics

"If he disses (curses) you, turn aroud bless them back"

-'Check yourself', KJ52.

I absolutely hate it when someone curses God. I have before, but only when I'm extremely shocked or very angry. I'm not going to lie about that. But I do feel kinda guilty afterwards. I sometimes say sorry, I'm trying to be better at apologising. I try to avoid saying it and saying "OH MY GOSH!" or saying something like "OH MY GOH" to substitute it.