Sign in to follow this  
WomanOfChrist

what if someone wants to go to Hell

Um,hell is a place of eternal torment,torture that never ends. A place where God is not. Where there's weeping,pain,sadness,depression,loneliness,basically everything that is not good and warm fuzzy feeling inducing.

I've heard the "because all my friends are going there" argument,and frankly,I find that invalid. Now,if we were talkin' a party,sure. But hell ain't no party. The Bible calls it a place of "weeping and gnashing of teeth", as well as "death", "the grave", "the abyss" and also the place where the Father of Lies likes to chill.

Why would you WANT to go there in the first place? O.o Why would anyone in their right mind WANT to go to hell,to be damned(not trying to swear here,fyi) and separated from God forever?

If someone wants to go to hell, God will grant them their desire or rather lack of desire for Him.

Chances are they won't be alone:

"Enter by the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is easy, that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many.

For the gate is narrow and the way is hard, that leads to life, and those who find it are few." Mt 7:13-14

This person doesn't know what they're wishing for.

I'm not sure what to do here, perhaps try to explain to them the joys of heaven and what hell is really like?

I think a common misconception is to say that people think of hell as simply a hot furnace or fiery abyss. It's obviously a misguided notion.

Further, another misguided notion is that God isn't in hell. I disagree with the assertion. Hell is horrendous, abhorrent, and terrible because God is there. They are there to feel the eternal fury of His righteous wrath. They are not in a parentheses, they are not in limbo, they are not set aside. The presence of God is very real there and burns furiously with His righteous wrath.

Those who think they want hell are misguided because they believe a simple dualism (good vs evil). They do not conceive nor comprehend that hell is God's wrath poured out upon them for their infinite and eternal sin.

People don't necessarily choose hell the way they choose to eat one thing over another. People choose hell in the sense that they choose things which will lead them to it.

For example, which will not be perfect (no example is), one does not generally resolve to develop lung cancer. One however does resolve to smoke many Camel Crush cigarettes and continually crush the pill giving them a menthol rush, destroying their body and lungs with rat poison, tar, and gun powder which will give them lung cancer on a long enough grid of time.

One does not choose particularly to be an object of God's wrath as an act of their own intention or will necessarily. One chooses to live for themselves, deny God's supremacy and sovereignty as Lord and King, and they reject the Son of God. The results of this are wrath and punishment.

No one in their right mind will choose infinite wrath if given in contrast to infinite pleasure the same way one would be able to choose chocolate as opposed to vanilla. One however will choose wrath over pleasure because that which brings wrath appears far more pleasurable at that point of time. This may seem confusing, but I assure you it isn't.

Example: I want to have sex. I may 1. Choose a prostitute for my liking to satisfy that desire (wrath and destruction to follow) or 2. Accept that Jesus is sufficient to quench those desires and satisfy me more because Jesus is pleasure and satisfaction, and if I wait, and wait, and wait, however long or short Jesus will ultimately be my treasure and satisfaction because I chose what is satisfying over what will bring temporary satisfaction.

To this extent, I will argue that men do not choose hell as if it's compared against infinite pleasure. That's madness. Men choose hell because they choose the fleeting pleasures of the world over the goodness of God which brings God's righteous, infinite, furious wrath against them.

You see I AM that person. The reason is one I am confused and two I KNOW I deserve Hell and I want what I deserve.

What on earth did someone say to you to make you think that you deserve eternal punishment? What did they say to make you think that you don't deserve to be loved by God?

What on earth did someone say to you to make you think that you deserve eternal punishment? What did they say to make you think that you don't deserve to be loved by God?

So true. Humans can easily scourge one another. Humans are not God tho.

If a person doesn't consider one self worthy of God's infinite mercy, they are the ones who are choosing to stand outside the arms of God's grace. Not Him.

Self hatred does not bring any type of repentance back to God as it continues sterility in forming a relationship.

Hell is a place you wouldn't want to be. Whether you believe you deserve it or not is irrelevant. All this means is that as christians we shouldn't say to others... "You go to hell! You go to hell and you die! (you evil scum!)" because (allegedly) we're all just as evil as eachother. So... if you believe in hell and you go there I suppose you say "Oh... well I'm getting exactly what I deserve... that sucks". It seems silly not to try and avoid it. There is no glory in taking it on the chin.

I thought that the Bible says we all deserve Hell?

To say that we deserve hell is the same as saying that we deserve the wrath of God- as they are one in the same.

We deserve the wrath of God because we have lived our lives and done things that makes us subject to it.

Praise be to God that Jesus intervened and bore our wrath that we don't have to take the wrath.

Jesus died that we don't have to.

Be born again, repent, be baptized, and live renewed!

I think a common misconception is to say that people think of hell as simply a hot furnace or fiery abyss. It's obviously a misguided notion.

Further, another misguided notion is that God isn't in hell. I disagree with the assertion. Hell is horrendous, abhorrent, and terrible because God is there. They are there to feel the eternal fury of His righteous wrath. They are not in a parentheses, they are not in limbo, they are not set aside. The presence of God is very real there and burns furiously with His righteous wrath.

I disagree with you. On one point. You're completely right that Hell is a firey pit of lava and eternal death and torture is a medieval concept and imagery. I disagree with you that God is in Hell, Hell is supposed to be a punishment. What greater punishment then to know that God does indeed exist and to be cut off from the almighty himself? Hell as I have gathered from my personal readings and the interpretations of theologians, could best be described as if you were thrown into a pitch black room, knowing that there was light outside the room but you can never find the door (a poor analogy I know but the best I can come up with at 4 in the morning).

I disagree with you. On one point. You're completely right that Hell is a firey pit of lava and eternal death and torture is a medieval concept and imagery. I disagree with you that God is in Hell, Hell is supposed to be a punishment. What greater punishment then to know that God does indeed exist and to be cut off from the almighty himself? Hell as I have gathered from my personal readings and the interpretations of theologians, could best be described as if you were thrown into a pitch black room, knowing that there was light outside the room but you can never find the door (a poor analogy I know but the best I can come up with at 4 in the morning).

The analogy is okay. :)

I'm not speaking as though God necessarily resides in Hell like He will reside and dwell with us in the new world, but I am very particular to argue that hell is as awful as it is because the presence and wrath of God is there. That is what makes it hell.

My late mentor Jonathan Edwards very tenaciously argues on hell that God is very present. I'd argue due to the nature of God He must be present to some extent, the same way He is present in the room with me as He is in your heart and mine. Hell is not a dualistic place where it's simply the place of all bad, it was created by God for His wrath and He will make His wrath known in that place. I do not believe it will be done vicariously or through some unknown means. God's presence and active wrath will be a very real part of hell. But I do agree with you that a part of hell and eternal torment is eternal separation from the Father. It's really a different perspective. We are saints who are washed in the blood of the lamb and will praise and love and honor the Trinity for all eternity, whereas others will not be purified in their souls and will still receive the penalty for their sin.

So your analogy may have a sense of reality that I argue God is a brilliant resplendent light that will be unreachable to those suffering for their safety, joy, and peace, but His presence of wrath, fury, and divine justice will be very well known.

You're welcome to disagree with me, as you obviously do. But I'm particularly fond of you, Shawn. So I'd rather not ever say or do anything to alienate you too much. :-)

You might deserve Hell, but God gives us more than 1 chance. Follow the ways of God and your misleading path to Hell will now be guided to Heaven.

The analogy is okay. :)

I'm not speaking as though God necessarily resides in Hell like He will reside and dwell with us in the new world, but I am very particular to argue that hell is as awful as it is because the presence and wrath of God is there. That is what makes it hell.

My late mentor Jonathan Edwards very tenaciously argues on hell that God is very present. I'd argue due to the nature of God He must be present to some extent, the same way He is present in the room with me as He is in your heart and mine. Hell is not a dualistic place where it's simply the place of all bad, it was created by God for His wrath and He will make His wrath known in that place. I do not believe it will be done vicariously or through some unknown means. God's presence and active wrath will be a very real part of hell. But I do agree with you that a part of hell and eternal torment is eternal separation from the Father. It's really a different perspective. We are saints who are washed in the blood of the lamb and will praise and love and honor the Trinity for all eternity, whereas others will not be purified in their souls and will still receive the penalty for their sin.

So your analogy may have a sense of reality that I argue God is a brilliant resplendent light that will be unreachable to those suffering for their safety, joy, and peace, but His presence of wrath, fury, and divine justice will be very well known.

You're welcome to disagree with me, as you obviously do. But I'm particularly fond of you, Shawn. So I'd rather not ever say or do anything to alienate you too much. :-)

I perfectly see your point of view my friend and it gives me something to think about for sure.

Deep inside, no one wants to go to Hell. They're just acting against you or they actually have bad life. So, help them and tell them the good news as we do to non-believers, but may be more respectful.

As a matter the fact we all deserve Hell. But God made intervention, and gave us Way :) He knows what we are and how are we standing... he would not help us if he wanted us to go there. Turn to Jesus friend

I have a friend who doesn't understand how terrible Hell is. She talks about how her life here is worse than Hell (which I know for a fact that her life isn't bad at all except for some mild family issues), so she doesn't care about how she's actually going to Hell. I can't convince her otherwise without her telling me that I'm practically throwing a Bible at her. So, I know that feel; but I'm not sure how to fix it.

I'm not sure if I'm certified to make a statement here, being extremely new and all, but I know this subject relatively well and I deem it necessary to add my three cents to the jar.

I'll just generalize (which means I'm not making a statement representing ALL of the concerned mankind), that most people when they state words like this are ignorant to their understanding. It's extremely easy to make the worst of every situation and absorb every unfortunate occurrence and amplify it to the extreme. Because a lot of people don't understand that Hell is indeed countless times worse than their perceived misfortune, they think that they'll choose the option that provides less pain regarding their situation. Even as a Christian, I can be so totally overwhelmed by the sins I have committed in my life that I believe the lie that I should just go with what I deserve and accept that 'that is that'. However, praise be to God in the highest! One concept that we all have to unanimously understand is that God loves every single being He has created. He loves Hitler, Voltaire, Richard Dawkins, Nimrod, Judas Iscariot, you name it. So, the immediate question arises, why are they (most likely) subject to eternal damnation in a place of eternal torment?

It's because God is God. If He allowed every sinner of the earth since the beginning, spanning to the very end of memorable time, then He would not be God. How is this? Well, to be God, God has to demonstrate attributes that make Him who He is. God would not be God if He were unjust. Thus, although it's a terrible reality, Hell is necessary in the grand scheme of everything. God loves us all so dearly that if He could take a different route and still remain God, I believe He would. But God will not sin, and injustice is sin. That's why sinning on earth, and then the worst case scenario of eternal damnation so inflicts pain on Him - He desperately loves all of humankind and has resorted to the most sacrificial means possible on saving us from eternal damnation - sending His Son to die on the Cross to atone for our sins. This is the only way God's just nature can be satisfied.

Anyway, before I move too off track, my answer to your question, WomanOfChrist, is that drowning in our sinfulness and our deserved judgment really is an unwise decision. Imagine, if every Christian thought and believed like you did, how God would feel? It's like rejecting all of the work God has done to provide us salvation and drown in our sinfulness - like Satan wants - and, to put it bluntly, shoves God's face into the ground and shames His name. Sending His Son to earth to fulfill the task set before his birth to the Virgin Mary, God had to sacrifice His very being for these wretched humans that we are that He loves so much. Now, I also inquire why God loves us to the extent that He does, but that is another matter.

Essentially, God Himself descended to earth to live a life without sin. Now this is HARD. Most Biblical scholars believe that Jesus lived to be 32. That means, 32 years of perfection. Understand, now, that Jesus was indeed tempted in every area a man like himself would feel. How temptations works, to my perception of it, is that the longer you fight it, the harder it becomes. This means that God basically successfully fought temptation at every front for 32 years, and went on to die a life of rejection, chosen by the people over Barabbas, a convicted criminal, to die for none of the sins he had committed. And to die a death that is arguably the most painful death possible.

Now, to finish up, Christ did all this for us... us, made in His image, but we, who sin constantly and reject Him every chance we can get from our sinful natures, He did all this.

So... are we going to drown in our sorrow and accept what we do indeed deserve, when our Loving God has gone to the edge and back to provide salvation that we may be given more chances, to live a God-fearing life of righteousness and humility, for the Glory of Him Alone? He deserves every ounce of glory we can give Him, and more! So if this is a matter of deserving things, then we best get to work right away in bringing joy to the heart of Christ and preaching a life of beautiful sincerity, lacking in hypocrisy and full of living the Christian life. God loves us and although He knows we deserve eternal damnation, He hates our suffering as much as the sins we commit.

This is what my answer will be to your question. Fellow Christians, feel free to correct me in any instance if you see any mistakes. Otherwise, I hope I helped. :)