Questions about God, Christians, and Christianity

Guest JAG

I'm putting this on both forums and Facebook as an experiment. If you have questions about God, Christianity, or Christians, message me them or post them here and I'll answer them in a mini-doc video.

yours,

James

You don't have to put it in a video, but I am curious... Are you a creationist?

I'll probably use it in the video too (it's kind of a 3 minute webisode concept).

What's a creationist to you? I usually take that to mean "do you believe God created the universe." Other's take it to mean a host of things.

- James

I'll probably use it in the video too (it's kind of a 3 minute webisode concept).

What's a creationist to you? I usually take that to mean "do you believe God created the universe." Other's take it to mean a host of things.

- James

How many years old do you believe the earth is?

How many years old do you believe the earth is?

Ah, I see what you are getting at. I'm really not qualified to answer how old the Earth is. I'm a student with a business major and although I study science and theology I'm not an expert on dating soil or sun rays or what have you.

If I had to guess I'd say it is very old. Before I wanted to make films I wanted to be a paleontologist. When I was going through that phase I researched the various stages our Earth has gone through and the number that was shot out at the time was 65 million years ago dinosaurs roamed.

- James

Hello :) I've watched your video in little bits since it went up and I just wanted to say that I thought it was really good.

Because there aren't any youth groups or Bible study classes available to me 'in the real world' so to speak, I literally eat up online studies and such as they're the best option that I have to (hopefully) become a little less ignorant in the ins and outs of Christianity. I really enjoyed listening to what you had to say and I'd gladly watch if you made another one because it was very helpful :)

How did you find all of the information that you put in your video? As in did you know it already or did you research it specifically for the video? Because the quantity and quality of it was impressive.

Just throwing these out there if you fancy answering them :) Some obviously overlap a bit...

-What is the qualitative difference between a christian and a non-christian?

-Would God prefer that we have a relationship with him or that we love our neighbours? Continuing from this, does either have relevancy aside from the other?

-Is being a christian an unnecessary quality to perform moral actions, and thus does God still appreciate it when a non-christian helps another at their own expense? Then, what relevancy does christianity have towards the sake of the greater moral good?

-Why is relationship important in christianity when in itself it achieves nothing? If the same moral end may be achieved out of compassion for your fellow man does that make a difference? Again is morality in and of itself relevant? Why/Why not?

Sorry if you've already indirectly answered these... Got no speakers on this computer so couldn't listen to the video ¬¬

Hello :) I've watched your video in little bits since it went up and I just wanted to say that I thought it was really good.

Because there aren't any youth groups or Bible study classes available to me 'in the real world' so to speak, I literally eat up online studies and such as they're the best option that I have to (hopefully) become a little less ignorant in the ins and outs of Christianity. I really enjoyed listening to what you had to say and I'd gladly watch if you made another one because it was very helpful :)

How did you find all of the information that you put in your video? As in did you know it already or did you research it specifically for the video? Because the quantity and quality of it was impressive.

Hi, thanks for watching!

I'm glad you found it helpful. If you want some really good preaching about certain topics I'd check out Mark Driscoll's sermons. He is easy to relate to and even though I don't go to his church I enjoy listening to him. You can find some of his stuff at his church's website: http://www.marshillchurch.org/

He does an "ask the pastor" bit at the end of some of his sermons where he answers questions his congregation texts him.

As far as how I did that episode, I basically went with what was on my heart. I tried to explain things as I would if I were talking to a friend, so I didn't script it. I did have a sheet of paper with 3 quotes on it though - one from Einstein, one from Corinthians, and I forget the other. I read them verbatim so you can tell I wasn't coming up on the spot with them.

Later, when I edited the video, I went back and put up all the scripture references I made. Well, most of them anyways. This is because a lot of times people get angry when I make a definitive statement about the bible and I don't give them the source of that statement. I don't blame them; I'm the same way.

I'm planning on filming the next episode here shortly if you want to get a question in that you'd like to see answered.

---------- Post added at 03:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:18 PM ----------

Just throwing these out there if you fancy answering them :) Some obviously overlap a bit...

-What is the qualitative difference between a christian and a non-christian?

-Would God prefer that we have a relationship with him or that we love our neighbours? Continuing from this, does either have relevancy aside from the other?

-Is being a christian an unnecessary quality to perform moral actions, and thus does God still appreciate it when a non-christian helps another at their own expense? Then, what relevancy does christianity have towards the sake of the greater moral good?

-Why is relationship important in christianity when in itself it achieves nothing? If the same moral end may be achieved out of compassion for your fellow man does that make a difference? Again is morality in and of itself relevant? Why/Why not?

Sorry if you've already indirectly answered these... Got no speakers on this computer so couldn't listen to the video ¬¬

I plan on answering at least two of these. Thanks!

Sorry about the lack luster (pausing) pre-show and question number one. I didn't quite wake up until afterwards.

This show's answered questions:

Pre-Show) On Alcohol [1:14]

1) In what ways do we bear the image of God? [1:51]

2) Does God prefer that we love Him, or that we have a relationship with our neighbors? [7:50]

3) Is God male or female? [12:10]

4) What is the qualitative difference between a Christian and a non-Christian? [14:05]

Question for you) [23:28]

---------- Post added at 10:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 AM ----------

Some visual representation for my question at the end:

Regardless of whether I agree with your views and explanations, I think it's fantastic that you've allowed yourself to be caught on tape discussing this stuff. Way to go! :)

My question is this; What does Christianity bring to the world, and the individual who believes in it, if the God proclaimed within it isn't real after all? You can pose this as a hypothetical question as I assume you'd probably disagree that this could even be a possibility to you. :)

Regardless of whether I agree with your views and explanations, I think it's fantastic that you've allowed yourself to be caught on tape discussing this stuff. Way to go! :)

My question is this; What does Christianity bring to the world, and the individual who believes in it, if the God proclaimed within it isn't real after all? You can pose this as a hypothetical question as I assume you'd probably disagree that this could even be a possibility to you. :)

Actually, that's an awesome question, thanks!

• 3 months later...
James, what ever happened to your Theology on Tap Videos? I enjoyed watching them.

The third one got shot, but I never edited it because, quite frankly, the filming was really bad (out of focus, dark, etc.) It featured one of my best friends who studies theology himself (he actually has the first 10 chapters or Romans memorized 0.o). We might reshoot it someday. As of now, I don't have enough time. With that said, I have started to shoot shorter videos with my random thoughts that usually pertain to Christianity, and I may post some of them.

I hope to get back to shooting more Theology on Tap. Thanks for asking about it :)

- James

I just watched part of those videos. They are really interesting! If you are still accepting topics (and when you find the time to make another video) would you mind giving your response to the Euthyphro Trillemma? I am currently trying to form a response to it and I would love to know what other people have to say.

My Many Musings - Matt T, The Rose, Idiot Christians (Nov, 1, 2011)

I just watched part of those videos. They are really interesting! If you are still accepting topics (and when you find the time to make another video) would you mind giving your response to the Euthyphro Trillemma? I am currently trying to form a response to it and I would love to know what other people have to say.

My Many Musings - Origin of Morals, Euthyphro Dilemma (Nov, 2, 2011)

My Many Musings - Matt T, The Rose, Idiot Christians (Nov, 1, 2011)

My Many Musings - Origin of Morals, Euthyphro Dilemma (Nov, 2, 2011)

Thanks JAG! I posted a comment on your youtube video that tries to describe the Trilemma. I also referred to a video that would probably explain the Trilemma better.

Just watched these. They were really cool and encouraging, thanks for putting them up!

Thanks man :)

[h=1]My Many Musings - Euthyphro Trilemma, The I Am (Nov, 3, 2011)[/h]