Sign in to follow this  
Deeper

SoCal to Secede from California?

Didn't see this one coming.

RIVERSIDE (CBS) — Is the state of California about to go “South”?

Riverside County Supervisor Jeff Stone apparently thinks so, after proposing that the county lead a campaign for as many as 13 Southern California counties to secede from the state.

Stone said in a statement late Thursday that Riverside, Imperial, San Diego, Orange, San Bernardino, Kings, Kern, Fresno, Tulare, Inyo, Madera, Mariposa and Mono counties should form the new state of South California.

The creation of the new state would allow officials to focus on securing borders, balancing budgets, improving schools and creating a vibrant economy, he said.

“Our taxes are too high, our schools don’t educate our children well enough, unions and other special interests have more clout in the Legislature than the general public,” Stone said in his statement.

I completely agree with their reasons because, well, they're true. I wouldn't mind if they wanted us to secede.

Also, us up here in the Northern sector, if they secede, our votes can finally count! ;)

Interesting. So, I would be a Southern Californian. Not sure what difference that will really make though? It seems like I have heard this idea before, several years back.

Why would people maybe not want to secede?

If we did, we'd have to pay a lot of money on both sides, which we do not have because the Senate can't decide on a good balanced budget.

Personally I preferred Bill Maze's plan:

In early 2009, former State Assemblyman Bill Maze began lobbying to split thirteen coastal counties, which usually vote Democratic, into a separate state to be known as either "Coastal California" or "Western California." Maze's primary reason for wanting to split the state was because of how "conservatives don't have a voice" and how Los Angeles and San Francisco "control the state." The counties that would make up the new state would be Marin, Contra Costa, Alameda, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, San Benito, Monterey, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Ventura, and Los Angeles Counties (San Luis Obispo and Ventura Counties vote Republican more often than Democratic but are included for geographic contiguity).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._state_partition_proposals#California

I suppose this would work too though.