Sign in to follow this  
ModernChristian

Where does God give us free-will?

I've seen many many people say that God gave us free will, but my question is where in the Bible does He do so? Are there any quotes or verses that I can be referred to? Because I've never seen anyone use quotes to back this statement up :)

James 4:7-8

"Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded."

John 3:16

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Acts 13:48

"And as many as were ordained to eternal life believed."

2 Thessalonians 2:13

"But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth"

Ephesians 1:4-5

"He hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will."

2 Thessalonians 2:11-12

"God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: That they all might be damned."

Nowhere in the Bible does it specifically say the words free will. I believe in predestination and if you want to learn more about that viewpoint, just PM me or read Ephesians. It talks a lot about it. (:

I've seen many many people say that God gave us free will, but my question is where in the Bible does He do so? Are there any quotes or verses that I can be referred to? Because I've never seen anyone use quotes to back this statement up :)

The only free will you have is the free will to sin. Period.

“I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live.” (Deuteronomy 30:19)

“And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.” (Joshua 24:15)

“Envy thou not the oppressor, and choose none of his ways.” (Proverbs 3:31)

“Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.” (James 4:17) (If we had no choice, then knowing to do good would necessarily result in doing good.)

"Yeah you gotta free will, but it seeks thrill! We're worse than the days of Noah when the sea spilled." - Timothy Brindle in his song "It's Obvious".

“I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live.” (Deuteronomy 30:19)

“And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.” (Joshua 24:15)

“Envy thou not the oppressor, and choose none of his ways.” (Proverbs 3:31)

“Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.” (James 4:17) (If we had no choice, then knowing to do good would necessarily result in doing good.)

Good passages.

And the various warnings in scripture not to do certain things (e.g. not lie) would suggest that people have free will to choose whether to do those things.

You have free will to act on whichever choice you are more inclined to. I do have to say this is more a philosophical argument and question more than theological, and your salvation really won't be affected based on how you believe.

Free will is hardly a solution to the problem of evil.

I think so. In the sense of "How can God exist with all this evil the world?"

We have free will, and we choose to do evil. So we brought the evil into this world. So God can exist with all this evil in the world.

You have free will to act on whichever choice you are more inclined to. I do have to say this is more a philosophical argument and question more than theological, and your salvation really won't be affected based on how you believe.

What determines to what you're inclined?

What determines to what you're inclined?

Your preferences, logic, the person that you are determines your inclinations.

In Judaism G-d giving free will to Adam (humanity as a whole) during creation.

Humanity was created with a dual nature: an impulse to do what is right and a selfish (evil) impulse. Free will is the ability to choose which impulse to follow.

http://www.beingjewish.com/soul/freewill.html Tell me what you think. This is more kosher then Christian sources. If it helps great. Hopefully someone knows about free will in the Christian faith.

Your preferences, logic, the person that you are determines your inclinations.

One can be inclined or disinclined towards logic and "the person you are" is too vague to mean anything useful. So then everything comes back to basic preferences (even whether we have a preference for logic); from whence come preferences?

Considering we discussed this in skype should I bother to respond to this?