• NLT
    • NASB
    • ESV
    • TM
    • HCSB
    • REB
    • OTHER

KJV Certified, Official Scofield Study System: Classic Edition

I've also read the NKJV and NIV... the latter more frequently than the former...

I don't read The Message Translation. If it's the version I'm thinking about, it is interesting to read, but is so paraphrased that I hardly consider it a true, canonical Translation... Not that I'd judge a peruser of such, but that I'd not do so myself...

One of my pastors loves The Message paraphrase...I didn't mind it until I read the phrase "pie in the sky by-and-by"

why?

---------- Post added at 08:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 PM ----------

wow just realized how many of these polls were made sorry but new answers dont hurt:)

I don't read from one certain translation. I have a whole array of Bibles of various translations so I can see how each of them differ.

Though when I am doing a simple daily reading I stick ti NIV or NLT because they are easier to understand.

KJV Certified, Official Scofield Study System: Classic Edition

I've also read the NKJV and NIV... the latter more frequently than the former...

I don't read The Message Translation. If it's the version I'm thinking about, it is interesting to read, but is so paraphrased that I hardly consider it a true, canonical Translation... Not that I'd judge a peruser of such, but that I'd not do so myself...

the Holy Spirit has spoken to me through that version just as much as you would be spoken to with another. Listen it's all of God's word. The Message is good for some, bad for others. I am VERY adhd when it comes to reading the Bible, so it eases my pain

---------- Post added at 12:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 AM ----------

One of my pastors loves The Message paraphrase...I didn't mind it until I read the phrase "pie in the sky by-and-by"

I admit by biggest problem with the Message is the four words as one phrase deal like-this-kind of. I am a grammar nazi so it kind of irritates me

I read NIV.

I can see it being useful for if you needed to explain a verse/concept in a very simple way, but I don't know if I'd use it for theological debate and the like.

I don't read from one certain translation. I have a whole array of Bibles of various translations so I can see how each of them differ.

Though when I am doing a simple daily reading I stick ti NIV or NLT because they are easier to understand.

good

---------- Post added at 12:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 AM ----------

I read NIV.

I can see it being useful for if you needed to explain a verse/concept in a very simple way, but I don't know if I'd use it for theological debate and the like.

I don't need the Bible for theological debates, I need it to keep my faith going. Theological debates often confuse one's faith.

good

---------- Post added at 12:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 AM ----------

I don't need the Bible for theological debates, I need it to keep my faith going. Theological debates often confuse one's faith.

Yes, I phrased it poorly. Right now I'm too tired to think of the right word, but I mean finding correct theology.

LOLOL what verse was that used in??

My money's on Revelations.

You sir just lost your money.

"Don't be in such a hurry to go into business for yourself. Before you know it the Son of Man will arrive with all the splendor of his Father, accompanied by an army of angels. You'll get everything you have coming to you, a personal gift. This isn't pie in the sky by and by. Some of you standing here are going to see it take place, see the Son of Man in kingdom glory."

Matthew 16:27 MSG

the Holy Spirit has spoken to me through that version just as much as you would be spoken to with another. Listen it's all of God's word. The Message is good for some, bad for others. I am VERY adhd when it comes to reading the Bible, so it eases my pain

It's great that The Message can help ease your ADHD tendencies... However, one can receive messages and inspiration from a mere John Bevere book. I simply meant that The Message was paraphrased so greatly that I would hardly consider it Canonical, not that it is useless, but that perhaps it'd be better served as a supplementary device, rather than the Primary resource.

I used to read more KJV, but now I use NKJV a lot...sometimes I'll read NASB, too. I don't like NIV that much, though.

I used to read more KJV, but now I use NKJV a lot...sometimes I'll read NASB, too. I don't like NIV that much, though.

You know my problem with the NIV? They make such questionable translations...

For instance:

Luke 14:5 (KJV)

"And answered them, saying, Which of you shall have an ass or an ox fallen into a pit, and will not straightway pull him out on the sabbath day?"

Luke 14:5 (NIV)

"Then he asked them, 'If one of you has a child or an ox that falls into a well on the Sabbath day, will you not immediately pull it out?' And they had nothing to say."