Sign in to follow this  
Jessikat22

Question about prayer

I don't know if this question has been asked before but is it bad to pray for the same thing more than once?

I recently had somebody tell me it was wrong and that it showed a lack of faith. I personally didn't think there was anything wrong with.

Help!

Dont take this the wrong way, but maybe you should stop praying for God to do things and do it yourself.

personally I don't think there's anything wrong with praying for something continually; I think it shows how much you want that thing you're asking God for and persistence in doing so

From my personal views there is nothing wrong with praying for something over and over again. Honestly I feel that it actually shows God that you have Faith that He will do whatever it is you are praying for, because you are putting it in His hands. Also definitely look at the scripture dkkev posted about the "Parable of the Persistent Widow".

Thanks for the question!

-Colton

Guest JAG

Check out the Parable of the Persistent Widow.

Dont take this the wrong way, but maybe you should stop praying for God to do things and do it yourself.

I'm not necessarily talking about things that I could do myself like buying a car. I'm mostly talking about things like if somebody is ill can you pray to God to heal them multiple times or should you just pray once and watch what happens.

I don't know - it could depend on the prayer? I guess some things don't happen instantly, because something must occur first to help you grow in Christ. I prayed continuously to be released from a temptation, and then God guided me towards something which provided me an answer. I gained understanding that I was asking Him in the wrong way - I wanted to receive strength to help me through, but I was not denying myself. He led me to something which helped me realise that I must give my temptation to Him. So I did, and instantly He destroyed it and He became my strength. Instantly He made me want to obey Him, and I was at peace again.

I don't believe asking for something repetitively is the wrong way to do Him; I don't believe it reveals lack of faith. Just trust that His timing is perfect, and He knows best for you. Sometimes unanswered prayers are a blessing, and some prayers take more time to be answered. I don't think continually asking is a problem at all, though.

Guest JAG
Thanks for the answers everyone! The Parable of the persistent widow definitely help

You're welcome, and I'm glad. Never forget God knows what you want before you ever ask. He desires you ask anyways because He desires a relationship with you. A lot of times I feel like He tests us to see just how much we really want Him by not answering our prayers right away. Other times He wants to teach us something, and still other times the answer is 'no.' If the answer is 'no' you'll realize why in a few years.

For example, I once prayed for a job that I was sure to get. I got rejected and didn't understand why, a year later I got offered a job 10x better and I realized that had God given me that first job I wouldn't have been able to receive this better one.

God has His reasons even if we don't understand them.

- James

I think its good cause your showing God how much you want that prayer to be answered by always praying about it, and in a way it shows that you have faith that God will answer your prayer even though it might take long.